What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Violence, brawls and punch-ups.

Do you like punch ups, brawls & violence in NRL?

• Total voters

Knightmare

Coach
I think they should be a little more lax for Origin matches. It would make Origin that little bit more special, that little bit tougher, and have everybody eagerly awaiting the first scrum.

Billythekid

First Grade
Not really, it's boring and pathetic. I prefer seeing them settle their argument during the game e.g. You have a disagreement with someone take the next hit up and try to belt them, or next time they make a hit up put them on their ass.

Personally i'd prefer to see players making more big hits than starting fights.

Gee_Up

Juniors
eelavation said:
true, but the smarter players know there's a time and place for everything, Freddy fittler was one bloke who would rarely react negatively from any illegal and aggresive play.

That came down to Freddy not being able to hold his hands up. I remember he got over agro with Justin Smith in a tackle and Smithy put him in his place quick smart. Some players think they are entitled to cheap shot and get away with it.

Reminds me of the current Rooster number 6 on and off the field.. :D

TV commentators regularly voice their excitement and demonstrably more than tacit approval of "the biff". The SOO openly promotes brawls as part & parcel of the game.

Yet I dont see the general public voicing their disapproval in any meaningful way at all. Compare that to opposition to boxing where all sorts of people including the medical fraternity come out to express their concerns.

Thats interesting isnt it ?

JW

Coach
For me it all depends on the context of the game. Can't stand general consistent grubbiness and dog acts from certain players aswell as king hit merchents, but if something's been brewing in a game and some toe to toe stuff eventuates then fair enough, bring it on and let the teams/players sort each other out. I'm sure most people have a similar view.

However, the media would have us believe that an overwhelming majority of us are new age PC "Soccer mum" types and we despise such behaviour.

TITAN1

Juniors
Would rather see good,hard,fair,agressive defence than a punch up.
Would like to see the cheap shot merchants rubbed out of the game,it only shows a players limited ability to play league.

As someone posted earlier,punch ups during the regular season are frowned upon,yet condoned during S.O.O

The Preacher

First Grade
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
unfortunately it's not a big boys game. girls and boys as young as 4,5,6 play it and monkey see monkey do if a young kid sees friday night footy and player A thumping player B because of foul play, how many kids you reckon are going to do that the following morning? we have referees for a reason

Well they were punching crap out of each other in first grade when I was playing at 5 and 6, and I was only sent off twice in 29 years, and only once could be deemed to be foul play, but I like to call it self defence, so it didn't have that bearing on my future play how they were behaving in first grade.
I loved watching a good stink then, and I like watching them now, 40+ years later.

PS. I didn't play against any monkeys though, so the result may have been different if I had.

STSAE

Juniors
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
unfortunately it's not a big boys game. girls and boys as young as 4,5,6 play it and monkey see monkey do if a young kid sees friday night footy and player A thumping player B because of foul play, how many kids you reckon are going to do that the following morning? we have referees for a reason

Kids footy starts at U7s in most comps now mate.

What 4-6yr olds are up at 8.30-11pm watching Footy???

Cos kids that young should be getting 10-12 hrs sleep a night.

So how are they up at 6am for a 7-8am starting game????

:crazy: :crazy:

STSAE

Juniors
Gee_Up said:
That came down to Freddy not being able to hold his hands up. I remember he got over agro with Justin Smith in a tackle and Smithy put him in his place quick smart. Some players think they are entitled to cheap shot and get away with it.

Reminds me of the current Rooster number 6 on and off the field.. :D

I know youre 1/2 tounge in cheek but I will correct you anyway.:p

When losing average players resort to cheapshots unfortunatley, often its a forward on a back, like the 2 souffs catts youre referring to.

Im not sure about Bwaiffs ability with his hands, but Freddy went better than you appear to recall. Mark Carroll in about 97 tried to hammer Freddy. Now Freddy being smarter than the average souffs catt, pulled Spuds jumper over his head and pingged a few off the old props melon. Spud proceeded to chase the Fredmeister around all day, couldnt get near him though.

Damn :lol: stuff that.

:lol: :lol:

Gee_Up

Juniors
Loved the Mason hit on Fielden, Loved the Kidwell Flying Headbutt on Mason, Loved the Fa'alogo hit on Anasta.. it's a tough game played by hard men- the strong dominate and the weak cry to the media.

TITAN1

Juniors
Gee_Up said:
Loved the Mason hit on Fielden, Loved the Kidwell Flying Headbutt on Mason, Loved the Fa'alogo hit on Anasta.. it's a tough game played by hard men- the strong dominate and the weak cry to the media.
Not forgetting the Asotasi hit on Finch..:clap:

Gee_Up

Juniors
TITAN1 said:
Not forgetting the Asotasi hit on Finch..:clap:

My bad... to Finch's credit he got up. You rarely see Asotasi lose ground in a collision.

I think Round 1 SS vs SR there will be fireworks.

STSAE

Juniors
Gee_Up said:

Did you like Farrkendrongos suspension too???:crazy:

Dumbest thing ive seen in years.

And funny the big tough man couldnt knock out little old Bwaifiewafie. He just popped up and laughed at the drongo.

Hard men in Armani suits.:p

:lol: :lol:

Latest posts