What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volkman & Allan gone

Matiunz

Juniors
This doesn’t add up, there’s more information we don’t know I bet. Put yourself in Volkman’s shoes - he must have known his injury was a worry yet he pursued a release from a firm contract? all so to move from a contender club to a battler club? not logical is it?
Being 4th/5th string moving to a club desperate for your position would be the rationale.
Officially he asked for a release to become a free agent, so I think it was more of a case of any club that would give him a better opportunity for more game time. There are also whispers Flanno approached him before his release

This Year?

Immortal
How many shoulder injuries did Benji have?? I recall seeing him in tears in the dressing room after another set back thinking his career was over..
Sam Burgess would have chucked him in the fridge to set the chocolate set while fighting off a hungry Tom and George.

Last edited:

This Year?

Immortal
There is no duty of care if the former employee asked to be released buddy. Do you not get that part? He wasn't released to the dragons. He was a free agent. Then picked up by the dragons.

if I'm a toy boy, And my shlong got injured during a tea bagging session. Then i ask my client/milf to release me so i cn milk some other cow for cash. She says fu*k off then.
Then i suddenly have erectile dysfunction because my new milf can't fu*k for shit & is butt ugs. Then she drops me. Whose fault is it? No one but me. Volkman took a gamble with his managementand lost out.
It's not the Warrior's or the Dragon's fault.
That is one solid 8th post. The metaphor is both visually enticing and disturbing.
I can't wait to see your work in gameday threads.

BLM01

First Grade
If we signed him to a train and trial contract, that contract would have been registered.
It is not a train and trial contract. Its part of the medical incoming process under the CBA
Train and trial is a registered contract separate to normal contract which we were intending to register until he failed his medical and we renigged under the 5 day cooling off and rightfully so

This Year?

Immortal
According to bloke in a bar, we are in the wrong for this Volkman fiasco.
images

Sounds like he has no axe to grind....

thebigredv

First Grade
According to bloke in a bar, we are in the wrong for this Volkman fiasco.
Watched 20 secs to get a gist of it. Surprise, surprise we are the bad guys again, just another pile on to the club. Non-Dragons people wanting our club to take another hit because it looks better and they love having ‘juicy content’. Haven’t we given them some fine ammunition for quite a while now.

That’s what we’ve been for a good 5 years - whipping boys of the NRL. Besides cheating scandals, what’s played out since COVID has been the most embarrassing and soul crushing sequence of events a club has seen and it comes back to the people at the helm. No need to bring these up, we’ve all lived and suffered through it.

It’s all been well documented and I’m not going to go on another ‘sack the board and Haran’ etc rant but I’ll tell everyone this - we wouldn’t be sitting here resigned to another write off a season if we had people within the club that cared. That’s the difference.

Yes, if there was enough volition by persons of influence besides the coach we could have and should already brought over multiple quality players. I’m talking about things happening in the background by people of vision and passion even in advance of Flannagan joining. We lose sight of this purely because we support a ‘we can’t’ club when there are plenty of ‘can do’ clubs who don’t let excuses get in the way and look at some of these have bolstered their ranks lately.

We, the fans, are so battered by our own club and submit, hoping, telling ourselves that somehow the crumbs we are left with will become the front of a club regeneration when in reality there’s nothing there but the worst squad assembled since the Adelaide Rams.

All I see is another coach in an untenable position. All around him are people who don’t care for success or actually love the club. What’s the point?

Parko1310

Juniors
Watched 20 secs to get a gist of it. Surprise, surprise we are the bad guys again, just another pile on to the club. Non-Dragons people wanting our club to take another hit because it looks better and they love having ‘juicy content’. Haven’t we given them some fine ammunition for quite a while now.

That’s what we’ve been for a good 5 years - whipping boys of the NRL. Besides cheating scandals, what’s played out since COVID has been the most embarrassing and soul crushing sequence of events a club has seen and it comes back to the people at the helm. No need to bring these up, we’ve all lived and suffered through it.

It’s all been well documented and I’m not going to go on another ‘sack the board and Haran’ etc rant but I’ll tell everyone this - we wouldn’t be sitting here resigned to another write off a season if we had people within the club that cared. That’s the difference.

Yes, if there was enough volition by persons of influence besides the coach we could have and should already brought over multiple quality players. I’m talking about things happening in the background by people of vision and passion even in advance of Flannagan joining. We lose sight of this purely because we support a ‘we can’t’ club when there are plenty of ‘can do’ clubs who don’t let excuses get in the way and look at some of these have bolstered their ranks lately.

We, the fans, are so battered by our own club and submit, hoping, telling ourselves that somehow the crumbs we are left with will become the front of a club regeneration when in reality there’s nothing there but the worst squad assembled since the Adelaide Rams.

All I see is another coach in an untenable position. All around him are people who don’t care for success or actually love the club. What’s the point?
I listened to the podcast yesterday, knowing already it was going to be a Dragons pile on. What Kemp and co failed to distinguish was that the incompetence of the Dragons to announce the signing before the medical had been completed was a seperate issue to who had done wrong by Ronald Volkman. They also failed to realise that his medical was not yet complete and seemed to think that the Dragons weren't even going to be performing a medical on Volkman until they saw he couldn't pass the ball. Probably down to a lack of keen interest in the club really, and a lack of understanding of the situation.

What I don't mind is them calling out the incompetence of those in key positions at the club. Because whether or not we've done the wrong thing by Volkman, we were still incompetent enough to announce the signing prior to a completed medical assessment. We were also incompetent enough to trumpet his signing all over social media. If people call out the individuals in key positions at our club, I don't care. In fact I welcome it. Hopefully the pile on will eventually bring enough pressure about that people like Haran, Millward, Doust, Piggot, lose their jobs. Those four are literally THE most incompetent people in key positions at any NRL club. Wake up Dragons, no one cares if they're your mates, get rid of them.

P.S. Whoever it was that was so keen to jump the gun on announcing Volkman before all the work had been done, here's a thought that isn't that hard to come up with that clubs in other codes all around the world do all the time. There's nothing wrong with announcing something along the lines of "an agreement in principal has been agreed between the Dragons and Ronald Volkman. Volkman's contract lodgement with the NRL is pending a successful medical examination, at which time further details of the contract will be released". How can people in high positions getting paid god knows how much money at this club not even think for a second to do something like that? Baffling.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Considering you previously said he wasn't training which he clearly was then I'm not sure you are really up to speed with this.

He has a signed release from a previous employer with no contingencies noted and they paid out a portion of his former contract so agreement by all parties to leave.

We then gave and undertaking to look at him, made a commitment to sign him and then made an announcement.

All compelling arguments that we have a case to answer.

If this had of been Hook or Mc Fookknuckle at the helm this place would be ballistic but the new coach seems to be able to dodge the flack.

If anything he might have some redress with the surgeon re the "failure?" of the operation in respect of his ongoing career but that would depend on what conditions, do's and don'ts the surgeon placed on his recovery.
Contract would be conditional on passing medical check to Dragons satisfaction. Silly announcing the signing before the conditions precedent are met. Until that medical happened and Dragons ticked off, it couldn't be registered by NRL and therefore is not enfoceable. Tough luck to the kid. His manager is a fool.

st.phil

Bench
Look I like the Bloke blokes - it's a good poddy BUT, as another poster has mentioned - they love a Drags pile on and once a narrative sinks in, they wade in it. The logic that we would go through and register contract and burn a top 30 position for 12 months after warriors or player or player manager non disclosed a serious injury / failed previous surgery, is just ludicrous. I actually like that they pulled the trigger quick on this one.

The only thing the Dragons are guilty of here are being a little over zealous on the socials flogging images of Volkman... but given the "atmosphere" around signings and our struggles in the player market, I will forgive them for that.

Maximus

Coach
It is not a train and trial contract. Its part of the medical incoming process under the CBA
Train and trial is a registered contract separate to normal contract which we were intending to register until he failed his medical and we renigged under the 5 day cooling off and rightfully so

Medicals don't happen as part of team training.

He was training with the team despite not having a registered contract. It's a clear breach of the rules.

Maximus

Coach
Who says they can't?

The CBA. The insurance company. Any lawyer.

If a player trains without a registered contract, they aren't covered by insurance. If the player gets injured at training, what do you think happens since they are not covered by insurance?

Medicals don't happen as part of team training.

He was training with the team despite not having a registered contract. It's a clear breach of the rules.
The one thing that needs to be recognised is that those rules are in place to protect the club as much as the player. I think the Dragons have left themselves in an exposed position.

St Tangles

Bench

If a player trains without a registered contract, they aren't covered by insurance. If the player gets injured at training, what do you think happens since they are not covered by insurance?
Any decent lawyer would have a field day on the Wahs duty of care re injury..

If he knew he was attending training for a medical that medical can happen wherever it is agreed.

Also to a point he wasn't injured at Saints training he was injured at the Wahs training and they neglected it.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

I'm not sure that's true. The club will have 3rd party person insurance to cover anyone for an accident that occurs on their property - that may apply. Also, I used to work for a construction company, we'd trial boilermakers in the workshop where they'd have to prove their competencies, and that was before they got an offer of employment. They were still covered by the company's insurances somehow. NRL clubs may have something similar.

You would have to know what was in the insurance policies to know if this was an issue or not. None of us will know that.