What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Storm Rd2 2024

Blair

Coach
Don't want to bag RTS to much, but his bad play the ball lead to the repeat sets, Paps try and then the kickoff gets them more possession.
RTS is taking time to re-adapt. He's good enough to play first grade but I'd love it if he had a couple of runs in NSW Cup for now.

Oh f**k me!!!
It hurts.

But to be in it without our 1st choice hooker and Fullback, a bunker that took a deadset try off us, your standard rough end of the pineapple calls. Had 2 independent doctor take guys off that cleared their HIA. In Melbourne, when they up by 12 and running riot thru the middle.
To claw it back.
But we also missed 2 conversions.

If only we played like that last week.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
The real dagger is that the match-winning try is bound to end up in commercials for a long long time.

We're gonna have to suck-it-up and handle watching it again, and again, and again..

Blair

Coach
The real danger is that the match-winning try is bound to end up in commercials for a long long time.

We're gonna have to suck-it-up and handle watching it again, and again, and again..

It's some solace to know it didn't end our season, which, in fact, has only just begun.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Isn't it down to whether it was played at, and he was playing at it.
He ran at the kicker, it's played at every day of the week. I feel sorry for him because you have to defend the two point field goal and not only is it a long odds kick, on another day it can deflect back to a team mate.

However, the winning play, DWZ is again beaten to the corner when his centre had his opposite covered. He is an incredible attacking force but hes such a poor positional defender for a veteran

Matua

Bench
He ran at the kicker, it's played at every day of the week. I feel sorry for him because you have to defend the two point field goal and not only is it a long odds kick, on another day it can deflect back to a team mate.

However, the winning play, DWZ is again beaten to the corner when his centre had his opposite covered. He is an incredible attacking force but hes such a poor positional defender for a veteran
Jesus mate, I know your thing is pointing out DWZ's defensive flaws but this is kind of bollocks. He stayed out fairly wide and Berry barely got there which was why Smith could get the pass away.

That was just a spectacular play by Coates.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Jesus mate, I know your thing is pointing out DWZ's defensive flaws but this is kind of bollocks. He stayed out fairly wide and Berry barely got there which was why Smith could get the pass away.

That was just a spectacular play by Coates.
Your opinion. Happy to admit Im not a defensive expert. We'll see if it becomes a sticking point over the coming weeks and months.

I'd argue Berry got there comfortably enough.

Matua

Bench
Your opinion. Happy to admit Im not a defensive expert. We'll see if it becomes a sticking point over the coming weeks and months.

I'd argue Berry got there comfortably enough.
That's because you have a narrative, as Spacie says DWZ actually got a decent hit on, and Barry didn't get their comfortably enough to stop Smith having the space to pass the ball and then pass the ball.

I don't care about the coming weeks or months, we're discussing this one play.

DWZ showcased one of his finest performances in that match.

I understand your concerns regarding his defensive lapses in the past, but he has truly elevated his game over the past two seasons.

While he has been exposed on occasion recently, it's often a result of our midfield positioning and the execution of our attacking strategy. More often than not, it's the breakdown in the midfield that puts DWZ under pressure.

However, I'll hold him accountable if he reverts to his old habits. Yet, over the past year, including tonight's game, he has consistently shown improvement, and we're fortunate to have him as part of our team.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yeah I thought Berry gave Smith a little too much space but he still got to him. DWZ also held his position pretty well and was in a good position to put a good shot on Coates. If you watch the front on replay, Coates just jumps a *fraction* higher than DWZ's attempted tackle, and as a result DWZ only just touches him, and ironically only serves to give his jump a little boost.

If the timing or height of the jump is a split second different, DWZ is smashing him into the front row. It's just freakish and very unlucky for us in general.

Meth

Staff member
I can't quite remember what the field position was, but was it really a better percentage play for try to charge down the 2-point field goal? Hindsight is 20/20, but I wouldn't have thought so.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I can't quite remember what the field position was, but was it really a better percentage play for try to charge down the 2-point field goal? Hindsight is 20/20, but I wouldn't have thought so.

I haven't gone back and watched it, but literally until the moment the ball left Pezet's boot I hadn't even thought about the 2 point field goal as an option. However if I HAD been thinking about it, I would have pissed off if no-one had made an effort to pressure the kicker and we had just given them a free shot. I think it would be very harsh to blame Barnett for having the game awareness and making the effort to block a potentially game-tying field goal. That's putting aside whether he even really charged it down - I think technically he probably did, but really he was just trying to put pressure on Pezet and it only hit him because it was a poor kick anyway.

There was a lot of unlucky shit in that last minute.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Another unlucky thing is the ball could have deflected off anywhere, if not to one of our guys then at least further downfield to take momentum out of their attack. Instead it deflected in such a way that it enabled them to attack with an overlap (I think through Papenhuyzen) and put them on the front foot.