What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wankers

kbw

Bench
its the generation to a certain exent.
But I wish the media would stop pandering to these morons. IF they are embarrassed in print like they should be then it may stop

Gmac

Juniors
If you listen to fergo talk you'll have your answer. When the big man up stairs was handing out brains, He must of gotten fergos from the bottom of a pit toilet. There are slugs with birth defects that have more upstairs than he does. to make matters worse that big evacuated space up there is filled with a massive ego.

Loudstrat

Coach
It's a cocktail ol' mate, mix meathead with media with money and you get more . . . reminiscent of a ginger beer brew, sorta looks after itself.

Fun on a soapbox isn't it, bit shaky but not too far to fall and anyway us old blokes are desensitized.
Us old blokes? I can remember Arthur Beetson playing. You f*cking remember Dally Messenger.

Simostorm, there is a good reason why I don hunt down your blog as a source of credible Rugby League news. However you do make a good point re Cronk. One (or maybe two) club players with long rep careers create their own post playing future through the contracts and trust they have developed with the movers and shakers of their club and the code. Smart players and managers know this. Dumb players and managers dont.

We have seen how RL players are embraced by Union's old boys network. Thats why they generally return. There is never any post playing future in another code. What makes such wankers stupid is that player managers can maintain a great income post career by trading on such opportunities. For example, whoever had the luck to manage Sterlo and Fatty basically got a good investment for life.

The only thing Nasser managed was a cut of Mundine's dodgy fights.

eozsmiles

Bench
Is it cents?

I agree Loudy.

One of the things I can't stand is how, after the player has f**ked up and tarnished league's image continuously, the media and many fans act like he's the biggest hero when they get back on the field. See Sonny Bill and Josh Dugan. The first game of the year was the Sonny Bill show not NRL. Channel 9 and the media played it up like he's a hero coming back to the game, like they forgot what he did to it by leaving. Then there's Josh Dugan dragging our name down in the media several times, now he's a big hero among Dragons fans and got a NSW 'redemption' comeback while the party that did right by their players and fans and by the NRL - the Raiders - gets nothing but another f**kwit playing up on them.

So basically the lesson the NRL gives players is: work hard and act right and you get less recognition, money and rep honours than the heroes that f**k up, take the game for granted and screw over their fans, club and teammates time and time again.

That's the catch mate. A plumber doesn't worry about the image of plumbing when he gets drunk and he takes a top job offer when it presents itself. And because plumbers don't have fans, nobody gives a toss.

But because you and I like footy, we expect (well, some of us expect) footy players to bow down to the alter of the oval ball and the six tackle set and the old boy club culture.............and then get the s***s when the players don't buy into it.

They are young and get paid well and they get high five's and root's when they go out. Everyone tells them they are awesome and when someone says otherwise they are ignored. They are on TV every week, and get called up to appear more often....if they are famous.

Google "stardom" and "fandom". It's pretty interesting. What I find most interesting is how a discussion like this thread actually adds to the stardom/fandom of an individual.

The NRL doesn't give players lessons. It tries to get ratings.

Loudstrat

Coach
Yes but if each new gun has fans and endless renown and praise, plus sudden big cash, they have to manage it. Damn hard for kid not long out of school. But they have managers, sometimes parents, and always a club has coaching staff, officials, older player mentors and sometimes mentorship from ex players and linked corporates/sponsors.

Your plumber similie is stupid, because a change of club isnt necessarily a "better job" anymore than a Broncos 1 jumper is better than a Canterbury 1, or a Stupid 12 conract is better than an NRL one. Besides, a plumber my not leave a job for more $ if it means a compromise in job security, goodwill with an organisation and customers or stability. Most plumbers are contractors whose goodwill is linked to their client base. Disrespect that base and it's gone.

Same with this mob. A manager wont/cant put a price on goodwill with fans, district, sponsors, club old boys network etc. But it's sometimes the differene between building a long and lucerative post career life, and Centrelink.

shiznit

Coach
The barrage Benji had copped over the past month just confirms to me how geniused some NRL fans are.

While I'm not excusing the way Benji has gone about leaving the game... What he's done is minor compared to others who have played the game and who are currently running around in first grade.

Seriously... What has Benji done this season to cop the rubbish that's been thrown his way this season??

Has he sexually assault someone??
Maybe he's been taking PED's??
Or perhaps he got himself suspended for attacking another players testicles??
Ohh hang on... he must have been the bloke who got pissed and threw a stop sign through someone's windscreen??

Benjis biggest sin this season was wearing a rugby jersey of a team he's going to be playing for next year... Sure it wasn't the smartest move... But the hysteria by some people in here is borderline ludicrous!

The irony of the whole thing is I watched the Cowboys play tonight who had a bloke who has assaulted a woman... Another bloke with a history of behaviour issues while on the drink... And a bloke who was caught drink driving well, well over the limit and with passengers.

Some people on here need to get some perspective...

magpie4ever

First Grade
The barrage Benji had copped over the past month just confirms to me how geniused some NRL fans are.

While I'm not excusing the way Benji has gone about leaving the game... What he's done is minor compared to others who have played the game and who are currently running around in first grade.

Seriously... What has Benji done this season to cop the rubbish that's been thrown his way this season??

Ohh hang on... he must have been the bloke who got pissed and threw a stop sign through someone's windscreen??

Benjis biggest sin this season was wearing a rugby jersey of a team he's going to be playing for next year... Sure it wasn't the smartest move... But the hysteria by some people in here is borderline ludicrous!

The irony of the whole thing is I watched the Cowboys play tonight who had a bloke who has assaulted a woman... Another bloke with a history of behaviour issues while on the drink... And a bloke who was caught drink driving well, well over the limit and with passengers.

While his form on the field this year has been ordinary, he doesn't deserve the barrage he has copped.

This is a great post.

Loudstrat

Coach

If this thread was about young men doing illegal things, I would agree with you. And I'd be mentioning Liu, Tamou and blokes like Carney and Dugan instead. But it isnt, and I didnt.

Benji, like Barba and Milford, have led a sob story soap opera develop in the press as a way of getting out of contracts and therefore shafting their club and fans. They are treading the same path as Kevin Walters and Glenn Magrath did, but not to highlight a human tragedy and use their profile for good, but for their own selfish means. Benji's tragedy wasnt as critical as the kids moving interstate or the dying father, but the way he explained his drop in form and disillusionment with a club doing the pain of a culture change just so he could change codes was shown to be a sham the moment he sat in his loungeroom all smiles after a horrid defeat, in his new jumper declaring he wants to be an All Black. That did not come from the carefully crafted and very sucessful creation of the good guy image.

You only have to compare those to the last 15 months of Robbie Farah's life, or even Tim Mannah, and see how piss poor he has dealt with his "crisis". Lets not forget that he is a Kiwi great in a world cup year - and the Kiwi great this time before the last world cup that was also dribbling an explanation involving an Awl Blicks jumper. At least Benji didnt waffle on about bus drivers.

miccle

Bench
It's not always the best look for the game, but why is this any worse than clubs "releasing" players from contracts when they're not performing.

TBH, I think league has a far bigger problem with dickhead players getting on the sauce, beating women and generally carrying on like douchebags.

When it comes to contracts and employment conditions, the NRL works just like the real world and this stuff goes both ways. I've been on contracts at work before and have negotiated releases. I've also dealt with people as a manager who aren't performing and have gone through that process there. It's a two way street.

The biggest mistake we can all make, I think, is sitting on an internet forum venting about situations when we're not in possession of all of the facts. How do we really know what clauses may or may not exist in any individual's contract unless the player and club make this public? In many cases, it may well be about the player seeking to exercise a right that he feels is warranted under the contract...

The Enforcer

Juniors
It's a natural act when someone doesn't have a sexual partner, however it is not natural when Souffs supporters commit this act when Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess or Adam Reynolds are shown on TV.

GONZO72

Juniors
Ben Barba is the worst offender. Take it as red, he was never really injured. After he scores that try, he smiles, raises his arm........then realises, oops, I better fake an injury. He hobbles off unassisted.

When will he return ? Round 26, but he can still travel to the Gold Coast etc.
Now it's re injured. Poppycock.

He is not wanted, and he wants out.

A disgrace.

no name

Coach
It's not always the best look for the game, but why is this any worse than clubs "releasing" players from contracts when they're not performing.

TBH, I think league has a far bigger problem with dickhead players getting on the sauce, beating women and generally carrying on like douchebags.

When it comes to contracts and employment conditions, the NRL works just like the real world and this stuff goes both ways. I've been on contracts at work before and have negotiated releases. I've also dealt with people as a manager who aren't performing and have gone through that process there. It's a two way street.

The biggest mistake we can all make, I think, is sitting on an internet forum venting about situations when we're not in possession of all of the facts. How do we really know what clauses may or may not exist in any individual's contract unless the player and club make this public? In many cases, it may well be about the player seeking to exercise a right that he feels is warranted under the contract...

Underperforming players still get paid.

innsaneink

Referee
The gun players are fawned over from an early age, 13, 14...never held to account, can screw up and always first selected in next weeks team, where the average bloke gets half a game, late to training, mucking around...same thing happens when you spoil kids, they turn into little shits, I want this, want that, chuck a tanty when i dont get it

Packy

Bench

Can you remember any that are simply released without a new job somewhere? And you'd have to assume similar coin?

What these players are doing is a bit different

Beetlejuice

Juniors
Multiple accounts from a single brain cell. Interesting

You do realise that these geniuss affect your teams, not mine?

:lol::lol::lol:

That is one of the funniest things I have ever read on here.

My beloved Canberra is a common theme in all this; like one poster mentioned. Very sad.

Aragorn

First Grade
It's a natural act when someone doesn't have a sexual partner, however it is not natural when Souffs supporters commit this act when Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess or Adam Reynolds are shown on TV.

Fingers_and_thumb_in_circle_downward_motion.jpg

Latest posts