What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors Awards 2017

Can u believe it but the list got leaked on social media by the Warriors themselves and they quickly deleted it. But not before i screen saved it hahahaha

Player of the year ---- RTS
Rookie --------Afoa
Peoples choice --------Mannerking
CCC clubman---------CNK
ISP player--------------Mace
ISP team man---------Sammy Cook
Club person of the year-------Georgia Hale

Fricken idiots releasing this

Blair

Coach
Can u believe it but the list got leaked on social media by the Warriors themselves and they quickly deleted it. But not before i screen saved it hahahaha

Player of the year ---- RTS
Rookie --------Afoa
Peoples choice --------Mannerking
CCC clubman---------CNK
ISP player--------------Mace
ISP team man---------Sammy Cook
Club person of the year-------Georgia Hale

Fricken idiots releasing this

Coach of the year: Ricky Henry, by a country mile.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
I'm not a hard nut, I felt for Mooks all season, and even more so now after hearing about his wife's health crisis.

I do, however, still believe his comment about not being able to drop players from first grade because 'there's no one (from reserve grade) good enough to replace them' was my winner for worst thing said all year.

How bloody demoralising. On so many levels.

Iafeta

Referee
Congrats Rog. Only him and Simon could have won it. Well done Charnze, top bloke, well deserved.

The Warriors are seriously off their rocks. How dare they ruin it for the players by putting it up early.

Also, agree on Kearney. Puts things in context doesn't it.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I remember at 1 stage, at least halfway through the comp, RTS was 2nd on the Dally M ladder so he must have been doing a lot of unseen stuff !!

Meth

Staff member
I don't think RTS was bad, and he certainly put in a lot of effort. He would be better with better players around him and I think he makes the players around him better.

I just think Mannering was so clearly the best player that any other pick is weird. But, it could have been weirder...

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I remember at 1 stage, at least halfway through the comp, RTS was 2nd on the Dally M ladder so he must have been doing a lot of unseen stuff !!

3rd in all runs, 4th in run metres, top 10 in line breaks and tackle breaks, an error count that was significantly lower than a lot of more fancied wingers/fullbacks.

People had unrealistic expectations of his defence, which was never as strong as the Roosters made it look. Against such a flaky team as the Warriors, he was always going to get exposed a little more in one on one situations without help.

In 2015 when he had that stellar season for the Roosters he made 75 tackles and missed 29. This year he made 79 and missed 39. Slater missed 38, Coote missed 43 (they both completed more tackles though). Going through all the fullbacks who made the top 8 only Boyd really stands out with 16 misses. The rest are all in the late 20's or early 30's with a few others having less only because they missed a lot of games.

Still thought Mannering deserved it, but I'm not as shocked as others that RTS got it.

if the Warriors had actually won more games he would have been right up there in the Dally M rankings IMO. When you lose games you lose points because the big points go to the other side.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Honestly, it's pathetic. Simon was the best player this season by a country mile.

But the club knows it looks bad that Simon, the workhorse, winning the POTY every year is a bad look. So they try and lean on BS stats (when Simon's of 44 tackles and 130m a game whilst carrying us) to justify it.

Ugh. Just finish already 2017.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
if the Warriors had actually won more games he would have been right up there in the Dally M rankings IMO. When you lose games you lose points because the big points go to the other side.

You're ignoring the fact that RTS gets votes purely on name alone, and being a fullback. Simon hardly ever gets votes because apart from this forum and a few more die hard fans, no one truly gets how he carries this side week to week.

No amount of stats like bloody bombs defused and metres made won't convince me otherwise. RTS was OK this year, and was playing behind a busted pack. But even he said he was only happy with 40% of his games. Did Simon ever have a bad one? No.

JJ

Immortal
Can't question RTS' efforts, but this smacks of a PR excercise IMO. Some of his defensive efforts have been embarrassing - like we (I) criticized Tomkins for, and I wonder if the fullback role has moved on, he's strictly a ball runner, generally now playmaking is expected from fullbacks - others (Holmes, Dugan notably) have questions over them, RTS might be in that list too

Mannering should have got the award, no mistake - and it should have been unanimous - I'm not sure where to rate him in the overall scheme of NRL backrowers as he's doing so much shit for the Warriors in a role that isn't (IMO) really his best (I think he should be on an edge) - he's no Taumololo or Gallen in the middle, but on an edge I think he'd be better than the likes of Gillett.

But seriously, with Johnson he's clearly the most important player - and as PW notes the likes of Johnson and RTS will get votes because of who they are and what their role is - Mannering does so much that goes unnoticed because it's not glamorous, and he's not pumping out 150+ metres a game like JT and Gallen because he's playing in their position not his because management hasn't signed and can't develop middle forwards

Iafeta

Referee
Mannering and Gavet leave RTS in the dust at a very distant third. Princess probably better too.

Terrible call really.

Mannering I agree. Gavet, no, just no. For the games he played he was very good but he did miss a third of the year.

Johnson up until he got injured I would imagine had a great shot at it.

Simon very unlucky.

Latest posts