What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Are Now Contenders (As of Round 11)

maple_69

Bench
If we play like that each week, no team in the comp beats us. We are too strong, too fit and too relentless to combat. The Dragons didn't look like scoring all night because our line speed is just oppresive.

tripster

Juniors
If we play like that each week, no team in the comp beats us. We are too strong, too fit and too relentless to combat. The Dragons didn't look like scoring all night because our line speed is just oppresive.

I agree. If we can play like that consistently, no team is going to match it. Our forwards are incredible.

OldPanther

Coach
I wonder how much influence Gus has had this year. Plus adding Maloney.

Something is different this year and I think we go close. Actually tempted to get GF tickets.

maple_69

Bench
Id say 5 year plan is successfully delivered, Matts were minor prems, SG Ball came second over the regular season and then took out the national title. Flegg is 3rd, ISP is first and NRL is 1st. Contenders across all 5 grades despite all our injuries across all grades. With Browne, Mckendry, Blake, Sauce, Wallace, Leota and Edwards out tonight we were still missing 7 first graders...

tripster

Juniors
Sportsbet have just updated the odds for GF winner. We are now equal favourites at $5.50 with the Dragons. Roosters and Rabbitohs are next on $6.50. Storm $7.

tripster

Juniors
Not good news if you ask me. There is a reason there have been 4 or 5 different favourites this year.

It'll shift week to week depending on results. I suspect all it will take is one off game from us and we'll drop back. However, at a certain point the maths also starts to dictates who the favourites inevitably are. No team outside the top 4 has won the GF, and the top 4 is already starting to firm up (with probably 6 teams realistically competing for it).

TheFrog

Coach
I'd say they've taken some money on us after this game, but from what I've seen previously I expect us to drift back a little over coming days. I'm surprised the Storm have eased as much as they have.

tripster

Juniors
I'd say they've taken some money on us after this game, but from what I've seen previously I expect us to drift back a little over coming days. I'm surprised the Storm have eased as much as they have.

I think you are right.

On the Storm, I expect it is a combination of what has happened to the market generally after the money they've taken on the Panthers and Rabbitohs following tonight, as well as all the speculation about Bellamy. That speculation could be disruptive and distracting, particularly with the prospect that there might be an announcement of him going to Brisbane next season. You could see that throwing a lot of players into a spin.

mxlegend99

Referee
Odds are set by where people place their money.

Realistically has zero effect on our actual odds. But ignore all that and we sit equal first having destroyed the team equal with us.

Below us no one stands out as good or great. We are just a solid team. Surrounded by shit.comp is ours to lose now

tripster

Juniors

Realistically has zero effect on our actual odds. But ignore all that and we sit equal first having destroyed the team equal with us.

Below us no one stands out as good or great. We are just a solid team. Surrounded by shit.comp is ours to lose now

Odds aren't set just by where money is placed (particularly for example when odds are first released). Where the money goes obviously moves odds, but there are other considerations. Here is a good article on it (in the context of NRL) http://www.betucate.com/articles/how-odds-are-set/

I don't we can say the rest of the competition is shit. Rather, I think we are proving to be quite a good team by comparison to the others. Sure, I don't think we are on par with the Storm of 2017 (but they were an incredibly dominant side - losing I think only 4 games the entire season), but we are looking like an excellent side.

Before tonight the Dragons had looked like the dominant team. Some of their previous victories, such as when they beat the Storm, were very impressive. I don't think we can say that we beat a shit team tonight.

cain3y

Juniors
Cowboys even fired up are pretty average though. We couldnt have played worse and only lost by 6.

We have made nearly every game close. We need some more big wins.

Starting this weekend. I want to see a 27+ poing victory.
As MX said let the poings continue

age.s

First Grade
It's very hard to tell how strong/weak a comp is when you're playing it. We could be talking about guys like Cleary, JFH, Kikau, Edwards etc as being ATG players. The Dragons could be talking about how rough it was that their best team in a decade ran into one of the strongest Panthers teams ever assembled. Or not. We can't see the future, we have no idea how we'll end up looking back on this team.

Pomoz

Bench

So your take on our performance is we are just a solid team surrounded by shit...Jesus MX, lighten up already! We actually won!

martielang

Bench
I wonder how much influence Gus has had this year. Plus adding Maloney.

Something is different this year and I think we go close. Actually tempted to get GF tickets.

Gus influence? Hook is the coach and has been the last 3 seasons. While we’ve won nothing yet, he’s the bloke that will deserve the credit if we do.

Sorry that came across a bit bitchy, I just hate the notion that every thing good must be Gus, every thing bad Hook. People might need to come to terms with the fact that the bloke might actually be a half decent coach.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
Gus influence? Hook is the coach and has been the last 3 seasons. While we’ve won nothing yet, he’s the bloke that will deserve the credit if we do.

Sorry that came across a bit bitchy, I just hate the notion that every thing good must be Gus, every thing bad Hook. People might need to come to terms with the fact that the bloke might actually be a half decent coach.

It's a known fact admitted by the players that he's been involved and also Ciraldo. To what extent would be interesting to know is all. You've also got the work Gus has done fixing the club off the field which I believe is creating more success than coaching ever could.

Also a lot has changed. The use of the bench, the defence. The attack. Who's doing what and to what extent I am curious about is all. I like to think about the game/club in depth. I have no doubt Griffin deserves respect for what's happening this year. People are too quick to jump to conclusions.

Last edited: