What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 1 Finals: Parra v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD @ Bluebet Stadium 9/9/22

forward pass

Coach
I knew weeks ago when Cleary got suspended that it was the worst possible thing that could happen to us .The only thing that was going to stop Penrith winning the comp was an injury to Cleary. The suspension just kept him out of harms way and allowed him to work on his game. Meanwhile, everyone else was getting hammered.

Blues Riff

Bench
I knew weeks ago when Cleary got suspended that it was the worst possible thing that could happen to us .The only thing that was going to stop Penrith winning the comp was an injury to Cleary. The suspension just kept him out of harms way and allowed him to work on his game. Meanwhile, everyone else was getting hammered.
Good hey?

strider

Post Whore
1999 PF at the SFS was the only other time we have played Melbourne in a final in Sydney outside of the GF

Also the only time we have played Melbourne in a final when finishing above them on the ladder.

We wont get a better opportunity next week it will almost be better to knock 2 hurdles off on one night beat the storm in a final and get to a preliminary final under BA.
Ahhhh yeah. Good old bill harrigan ref

Gronk

Staff member
thanks for your concerns.

What did you think of our team selection and bench rotation?
Look Im going to say this once and then leave you to your day.

I love my team and support them my way, just as you support them your way.

Personally, I don’t take losses well. I’m down today and yet some people are clearly different. Some are in fact quite joyous. Each to their own.

The game panned out how most people expected. They are a very good defensive team and with the ball, their backs ruck it up well, their forwards do the same and they have an exceptional kicking game. Hence why they are the best and have been for three years.

I said earlier in the week that we would lose, so I am not surprised at all.

yy_cheng

Coach
Yup, imagine all the video analysis he did too. Spot ja in thr line at half and run around him.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Im not sure we learned much last night to have an effect next week.
We continue to select a poor bench, we then are happy to use our bench to minimum effect.
We knew Jake simply is not an option under any circumstances. This alone could end BAs tenure.
We knew Waqa and Sivo would be targeted and provide brain farts yet we refused to pressure the kicker or provide effective protection for our wingers under the high ball. We are the worst team in the comp in these instances.
I called for Russells inclusion this week but sadly his hip drop tackle on Docker Clay will have him rubbed out till next year.
BA has not developed forwards to provide strong back up for Reg and Junior. Trust is a two way street.
BA has had a very lucky run with injurys this year so selections and development is totally on him.
Hopefully I get tickets to this weeks game cause its what I do. Cant say Im too confident much will change though.
Go Parra.

Glenneel

Bench
We started slow and it was obvious we were pushing shit (diarrhea) uphill to win. And BA playing safely, selecting 2 players on the bench who are 'safe' players, no mongrel or aggression in them, and using only 15 players is a STUPID tactic, and will guarantee a safe loss. WAKE UP BA!!!

Next week put Simonsson in to replace Waqa (as all teams will expose him now) and another 2 aggressive forwards on the bench and play 17 players ffs. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen, I expect the same 17 players selected and the same result if that happens.

emjaycee

Coach
This!

Absolutely no kick pressure. Cleary had all the time in the world to kick the ball and maybe get a haircut as well. Absolutely nobody made the effort to close him down. Even when Waqa dropped the first one, you would of thought ok let’s put pressure on him but we got nothing.
Who is at fault for that?

JokerEel

Coach
We started slow and it was obvious we were pushing shit (diarrhea) uphill to win. And BA playing safely, selecting 2 players on the bench who are 'safe' players, no mongrel or aggression in them, and using only 15 players is a STUPID tactic, and will guarantee a safe loss. WAKE UP BA!!!

Next week put Simonsson in to replace Waqa (as all teams will expose him now) and another 2 aggressive forwards on the bench and play 17 players ffs. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen, I expect the same 17 players selected and the same result if that happens.

Brown should be on the bench next week.

Blake is the same as Simmonson hit ups out of our own area are null defense is crap. So why not give Simmonson another run.

hindy111

Post Whore
Man I been busy.

Anyhows before I go. Ask yourself this.

Who predicted Canberra would win out?

Who predicted Parra would win out?

Who predicted Penrith would crush us?

Who said Waqa isn't a winger and is hopeless under the high ball and will be exposed?

Footy is a simple game. Sides like ours can beat weak sides.
Come finals it's a new ball game. It becomes a game of intense pressure.
The contenders vs the pretenders. Your smart well drilled sides will not have shown all their cards during the season. They will then set a game plan which will be to combat the oppositions strengths and target their weaknesses.
As a football side we are playing to our strengths 💪 Pou is correct here 100% and why we need luck to win.
But the smart coaches they know our strengths and weaknesses. They nullify our strengths and go after our weaknesses. That's when we are basicaly f**ked. All we have left is LUCK. And we just wait for it. It's also the reason we are 0/7 to get to that week 3.
Yes we can win. If opposition play poor and we get all the luck.

A side like Panthers has no real weakness. This becomes a problem. Nothing to target. So you can do two things. Play to your strengths, stay in the game and hope they play poor and you get some luck or you can combat it and play some footy and use shock tactics. The unexpected. Difference is you may get blown out of water.
That's footy but and sport. This is how underdogs win games. They increase the risks against the better sides and rather then die a slow death you have a crack. Think Tigers 2005.
No guts no glory.

Storm are a different beast. They have weaknesses we can target but also a smarter coach then Penrith
Bellamy's seen to much now of us. Don't be suprised if we fail to score a try next week . Especialy if we go into our shell like last night and play the 5 step shuffle. God dam embarrasing what we dished out. 5 hit ups and kick in finals. f**king he'll.
And his choice of Makatoa and JA on the bench is lunacy.
Shock tactics last night? Start Bryce and N.Brown. Of course they where going to take LANE out of the game. Bring Matto, Lane,Kafusi,Marata off bench once forwards tired. Not saying it works but it's shock tactics. And if it was close after 25 still imagine the fire-power you inject. All Penrith did was threw Kenny on to handle the onslaught. Said guys hold tight for 50mins till the big boys are gassed then we crush them in the next 15-20 mins. Bar the crash play we didn't look like scoring. And our bombs in attack most time ended with them with te ball 20-30 out due to a sbit house chase.

Anyhows I better get back to it. Still got a line up of trannys to get through as long as the apologists on here.

Apologists Esembele

🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️👨‍🦯🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:

King-Gutho94

Coach
Is there anything more peak rugby league then Taylan May copping a 1 match ban for a high tackle in a match he shouldn't have been playing because he had a suspension suspended to the following year.

strider

Post Whore
Is there anything more peak rugby league then Taylan May copping a 1 match ban for a high tackle in a match he shouldn't have been playing because he had a suspension suspended to the following year.
And if karama follows through, his hammy might result in a second game missed which should have been on the cards already

emjaycee

Coach
Absolutely agree that the abuse is pathetic.

But the kid is clearly not up to playing first grade and that has been obvious to all and sundry (even the great defenders admit it) since last year.

Perhaps that may change, but if any other player were dishing up that rubbish whenever they played they just wouldn't get this may chances.

I know people think it is a coincidence, but we have seen it many times now that when Jake comes on the field, the opposition scores two quick tries.

We saw it in our win over the Warriors.
We saw it in our win over the Storm .
We saw it in the the loss last night.

They aren't all from his mistakes, but you have to conclude that the players either have no faith in his ability or that he doesn't know the systems in any way - because when he comes on, our defensive systems and our defensive intensity go to water.

And yes, we have all read and heard the stories where all the players say that he is the best option and that they absolutely want him on board and we have all heard the story that the senior players TOLD Brad to pick him...but come on, what do you think the players are going to say when asked by anyone about the coach's son?

What do you think they are going to tell the coach or his assistants when asked? As if they could say "no mate, Jake just isn't up to it".

Whatever it is, there is clearly something amiss when he is on the field.

As for him being the only available back up, well that is just a furphy thrown up by people trying to "win" the internet argument. The coach has designated him as the only back up option and has to wear the criticism.

Sadly, our board and management share the same attitude as many poster on here. "Well, he probably deserves another couple of years and then we'll see..."
Hearsay Your Honour.

I would love to know your source for this statement.
Who on the Board or in Club management do you speak to who has said that or possibly even thinks that?
Some of the people I have spoken to in the club are rightly pissed that we don't have another suitable back up half in the top 30. MON and BA both responsible for that. Was hope that one of the younger ones could have developed quicker and that they could have convinced Rankin to join top 30 but neither happen.

Chipmunk

Coach
In limited minutes his tackles per minute are always poor. If he was chasing the collision it would show in his stats.
He was never going to chase the collision. If that is what he was meant to do, the club is totally to blame for re-signing a player for a further two years, who during his single season contact, it was clear was never going to be able to do what you wanted him to do.

Latest posts