What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weight Loss - A Functional Approach

Valderon

Juniors
Hello all,

There are many proclamations towards ‘weight loss’ and a desired ‘solution’ - however, the real weight loss approach cannot be acheived through “tablets”, “miracle diets”, or “single exercises”. Weight loss is not an instant outcome, just as weight gain isn’t an instant outcome. It does take time, and effort; though is not as difficult as it may be perceived.

The equation to experience weight loss is actually quite simple:
Cardiovascular Training + Weight Resistance Training + Nutrition = Controlled, healthy and real weight loss.

Prior to discussing each element of this equation, so that you’re able to understand why each variable is essential to weight loss ... it is important to provide you with a basic understanding of the energy relationship amongst humans, the substances we ingest, and the activities that we perform.

A simplistic view of our biological system, and the ability to gain or lose weight, is often expressed as an “energy in -vs- energy out” ratio. Energy is measured in kilojoules (kJs), and we as humans use energy in all activites we perform, inclusive of rest periods (as our body requires this to remain operational). To replenish this energy, we consume food and beverages. All substances we consume have energy value!. Everything we eat and drink can be measured in kilojoules, and it is this relationship of “kilojoules used versus kilojoules consumed” (kJ in -vs- kJ out) that dictates our ability to lose or gain weight. - (This does not factor in the quality of mass we gain or lose).

Implications of Cardiovascular Training

Cardiovascular training is the most common method of training utilised by individuals wishing to lose weight. Often people feel that if they’re physically running, or engaging themselves in such cardiovascular activities; that they’re using enough kilojoules to acheive weight loss. Infact, most overweight individuals identify the term physical activity with cardiovascular training - though there is far more to physical activity than this alone.

Cardiovascular training does work. It is very useful in assisting a person to lose weight. However, this type of training does have its limitations and should have other variables to co-ordinate with for maximal results.

These limitations relate to weight loss because you’re only utilising additional kilojoules whilst performing the cardiovascular exercises. This means if you are running for 30 minutes, you will only be ‘burning’ extra kilojoules for this 30 minute period. This may reduce your kilojoule levels by 1300kJ’s (example), however, one extra snack or meal could possibly counter-act your hard work from earlier on.

Certainly, you should be actively participating in cardiovascular exercise, however to ensure that you lose weight (rather than simply maintain weight), you will need to utilise other functions of physical activity.

As a result, it is highly recommended to participate in weight resistance training!

Implications of Weight Resistance Training

Weight resistance training often receives a hesistant and apprehensive response from overweight people. Regular concerns such as “resistance training will make me bulky” , or , “muscle weighs more than fat” are produced by the overweight individual - however - this is simply a misunderstanding of weight training and the outcomes it can provide.

Weight resistance training is the single most beneficial activity that an overweight (or underweight) person should partake in. It has a breadth of physiological benefits that need to be acknowledged, however the largest of all is that it assists you in utilising kilojoules during rest periods. This means that it will enable your body to continue to reduce your kilojoule levels / utilise energy between exercise!

The purpose of weight resistance training, in this instance, is to improve your body composition by increasing your lean muscle mass. This does not mean increasing muscle s.i.z.e (hypertrophy) - which is a common misunderstanding - what it does mean is that you will be ‘burning’ more kilojoules at rest, through improving the amount of muscle in your body. The reason this is ideal, is because of the metabolic activity that muscle demands, relative to lipids/fat.

Muscle is a highly active substance in our bodies, and therefore requires a heightened metabolic process in order to sustain its activity - whereas fat / lipids on the other hand, are highly inactive, and therefore require less metabolic activity to maintain storage. As a result, your resting metabolic rate will improve with weight resistance training and increased muscle mass, resulting in you being able to burn more kilojoules in the process.

With cardiovascular training utilising kilojoules during exercise, and weight resistance training utilising kilojoules between exercise - there is only one final consideration that will “make or break” your weight loss goals - nutrition!.

Implications of Nutrition

One of the most misunderstood, and feared components of weight loss, is the nutritional aspect. Many overweight individuals falsley believe that they must alter their diet towards foods and beverages that lack taste, texture and interest. This is simply not the case.

It is certainly a high recommendation to stay away from “fast food” or “take away” foods, because these not only contain high levels of saturated fat (amongst other undesirable substances), but they’re also high in energy value; which is what you’re trying to minimise. The main concern, however, is the amount you eat ... remembering the basic foundation of weight loss, is using more kilojoules than you consume!

Your diet should consist of the following macronutrient levels (approximations):-
- 55% - CHO - Carbohydrates
- 20% - AA - Protein
- 25% - Fat - Lipids

Therefore, you should be aiming to ensure that your meals through-out the day, total to a consumption rate of the above ratio. ‘Complex’ carbohydrates are ideal, where you are able to see that carbohydrates should be your main source of energy intake. Carbohydrates are the most abundant and efficient source of energy utilised by our body’s; while also containing the lowest kilojoule value.

Beyond this, the other main concern is your fat consumption both in the amount you consume, and the type of fatty acids you consume. Saturated and trans fats should be avoided, as they will increase your chance of cardiovascular disease; where most of your attention should be towards consuming polyunsaturated fatty acids -and- monounsaturated fatty acids. Monounsaturated fats assist in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, while Polyunsaturated fats have essential ‘omega fatty acids’ that are highly beneficial to individuals.

In addition to these fundamental peices of information, it is also advisable to eat 5-6 smaller meals through-out your day, rather than 3 large meals with snacks. Many people believe the myth that starvation will ultimately acheive weight loss, though in the short-term this will not occur, and in the long-term you will become quite ill; and pathology will result.

Ultimately, you will need to determine (on average) how many kilojoules you currently use, and begin tracking what you consume, with what you’re using. Seeking assistance from your general practitioner, personal trainer or qualified nutritionist is advisable, as more accurate readings will be achieved.

REMEMBER:-
Cardiovascular Training + Weight Resistance Training + Nutrition = Weight loss

I wish you all the best in health, and happiness!

It does take time. Early 2007 I went from 113kgs to 85kgs in five months, but f*cked it all back up. Was a really quick transition for my body too.
I was at 119kgs not long back, down to 112kgs right now, not time limiting myself though.

Should try and keep in touch here with it.
Still researching best way to eat too.

Carnifex

Juniors
I used to weigh 125kgs...and in a year dropped to 90Kg. Did my knee and then put on about 10kgs....right now im sitting about 90kgs again...but would like to burn more fat and am considering a Personal trainer to maybe bulk up a little and help burning that fat off.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Great read Valderon

Keep in mind for those of you wanting to lose a bit of weight and follow the above guidelines. There could be moments (usually in the initial few weeks) where you wont lose any weight, possibly gain a little, due to making muscle, which is heavier than fat. Dont be discouraged or give up, thats quite normal and healthy when weight training combined with cardio and a healthy eating regime. Muscle will assist you greatly in burning fat as time rolls on

Last edited:
im 130 kgs and i am currently on my footy diet/training!

i was 140kgs in mid-late 2009 and dropped 15 KGs off fast through all of this! put a bit on during the holidays though, so it works! to make things worse im 16 haha, however i am tall lol, but thats no excuse! i will study this and tell you guys how i go with using it haha

TheParraboy

Staff member
im 130 kgs and i am currently on my footy diet/training!

i was 140kgs in mid-late 2009 and dropped 15 KGs off fast through all of this! put a bit on during the holidays though, so it works! to make things worse im 16 haha, however i am tall lol, but thats no excuse! i will study this and tell you guys how i go with using it haha

Im guessing your not a whippet halfback? :D

Good luck mate, you got time on your side, so make something of your life

Its great your thinking about getting to a certain weight and doing something about it

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I joined a gym about six months ago and I don't seem to have lost any weight just yet. Diet is the hardest part to get right I think, the discipline in attending the gym & such isn't really an issue. I have noticed I'm far more toned now than I once was in the upper body and I'm growing muscle, but there's no noticeable weight loss.

Should be an interesting journey but one that I feel I am slowly but surely making in the right direction.

Johns Magic

Referee
I joined a gym about six months ago and I don't seem to have lost any weight just yet. Diet is the hardest part to get right I think, the discipline in attending the gym & such isn't really an issue. I have noticed I'm far more toned now than I once was in the upper body and I'm growing muscle, but there's no noticeable weight loss.

Should be an interesting journey but one that I feel I am slowly but surely making in the right direction.

Has your jeans size changed?

Garts

Bench
I was 82kg at the start of December now I am about 77.5kg. I did it through running at least 4 times per week for around 30 minutes and swimming a km a few times each week. I also eat healthy 5 days per week, I just do not have the discipline to eat healthy 7 days a week. Although I do not go nuts on the weekend but do enjoy my beers, wine, pizza, curries etc which is not the best when trying to lose weight but I figure I have to enjoy myself still. I have just started doing some minor weights. Want to get down to around 70kg in the next few months then try and maintain that weight. I will probably join the gym in winter when it gets a bit colder otherwise I will lose motivation and do nothing. Pretty happy I was able to lose weight over the xmas period, I normally gain at least 5kg in this period.

Johns Magic

Referee
I was 82kg at the start of December now I am about 77.5kg. I did it through running at least 4 times per week for around 30 minutes and swimming a km a few times each week. I also eat healthy 5 days per week, I just do not have the discipline to eat healthy 7 days a week. Although I do not go nuts on the weekend but do enjoy my beers, wine, pizza, curries etc which is not the best when trying to lose weight but I figure I have to enjoy myself still. I have just started doing some minor weights. Want to get down to around 70kg in the next few months then try and maintain that weight. I will probably join the gym in winter when it gets a bit colder otherwise I will lose motivation and do nothing. Pretty happy I was able to lose weight over the xmas period, I normally gain at least 5kg in this period.

How tall are you?

Johns Magic

Referee
Yes actually, that's the weird thing.

Hadn't thought of that...

My friend who's seeing a dietitian to lose weight says they measure his waist everytime he goes to see her to guage how successful it's going.

Going to the gym to assist fat loss will also build muscle weight which is a positive, so weighing yourself isn't necessarily the best measure.

bartman

Immortal
Personally I think diet is more important than gym, which is why so many people are disappointed when gym work doesn't produce the 'expected' results (whatever they are).

I know by cutting out soft drinks (or cutting back to sugar-free versions), and cutting out snacks like potata chips and chocolates, I lost the desired amount of weight and clothes size. There are other snacks that do the job and are healthier (juice, nuts, fruit). When I start back in having those junk foods (which I did in December/over Christmas) then I put back on the unwanted weight.

Gym doesn't even come into it imo - I've never gone, and never will pay to go. Get the diet right and do basic exercise (eg walking a bit more every day, maybe riding a bike just locally to shops and mates places) and you'll see a difference in your clothes size pretty quickly. Only then worry about what other muscle you want to tone or shape in other areas of your body, including paying for a gym if you are so inclined.

PS. And yeah, wine seems less of a weighty choice compared to beer and spirits when you feel like a drink. Red wine ftw, can't stomach the fruity white stuff.

Last edited:

Garts

Bench
My friend who's seeing a dietitian to lose weight says they measure his waist everytime he goes to see her to guage how successful it's going.

Going to the gym to assist fat loss will also build muscle weight which is a positive, so weighing yourself isn't necessarily the best measure.

Exactly. I measure my waist, chest etc every week. Losing cm's every week.

JoeD

First Grade
what it does mean is that you will be ‘burning’ more kilojoules at rest, through improving the amount of muscle in your body.

can you give me an estimate on how many more kilojoules a person would burn at rest if they had a higher muscle mass?

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
PS. And yeah, wine seems less of a weighty choice compared to beer and spirits when you feel like a drink. Red wine ftw, can't stomach the fruity white stuff.

right - so i read this as 'wine makes you lose weight'

Gee thanks Barty!!! :D

Valderon

Juniors
can you give me an estimate on how many more kilojoules a person would burn at rest if they had a higher muscle mass?

A significant amount more.

While I'm sure it's quite simple to measure one persons RMR while 80kgs at 13% body fat, and then again at 80kgs of 10% body fat (same weight, thus more muscle mass, or fat free mass) - I haven't looked through journals to read the specific measurements or the exact outcome.

Regardless, it would differ for everyone; as we all operate differently. The basic concept of heightened metabolic processes at rest in response to the greater presence of muscle, and subsequent activity will lead to greater kJ utilisation; still reigns true. It's very well proven, and also very logical.

bartman

Immortal
right - so i read this as 'wine makes you lose weight'

Gee thanks Barty!!! :D
:lol:

A second read might go that wine doesn't add as much weight as beer or soft-drinks/spirits...

I find white wine is a taste to itself (that I don't like). But I find the taste of reds to be an adequate replacement for the joys of beer or most of the spirits I like (bourbon, scotch), if I'm being flab conscious.