What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We'll wipe away your smile

DeeGan

Bench
We'll wipe away your smile
By Dean Richie
February 15, 2007 12:00

0,,5388433,00.jpg

THE angry Gold Coast Titans last night promised winger Steve Turner a "bit of grief" this weekend in what could be the most hostile trial match in years.

Tensions will be high when Turner lines up for the Melbourne Storm at Coffs Harbor on Saturday night against the team he flatly rejected.

Titans managing director Michael Searle said Turner could look forward to "a bit of treatment''.
But Storm coach Craig Bellamy fired back, saying: "It's easy for a bloke (Searle) not playing to say these things.''

Turner feared he would be forced to sit out the season after a public six-month stand-off with the Titans, the club that he initially agreed to join before declaring his desire to stay in Melbourne.

Turner, 22, yesterday admitted he was nervous in the lead-up to Saturday, saying: "I know there's been some talk ... they can't wait to play me. I'm not quite sure what to expect.

"I just hope whatever happens on the field stays on the field and we can all get on with life.

"I'm just extremely grateful to the Titans and the Storm for getting the chance to play in the NRL this season.''

But Searle said many Gold Coast fans remained bitter that Turner failed to honour his Titans contract.

The Titans boss said his players had not forgotten the drama either. "Rugby league is fairly emotional - some fans may feel the need to (taunt Turner),'' Searle said.

"I'm sure Steve will expect that. The match is being played in our catchment area (Coffs Harbour) rather than at home.

"It would have been more vocal had the match been played on the Gold Coast.

"He might yet get off scot-free from the fans, but he may get a bit of treatment from our players.

"I'm sure he'll cop a bit of grief. Our boys might give Steve a bit of a razz.''

Bellamy was angered by Searle's comments and questioned Gold Coast's motives.

"They can go as hard as they like,'' Bellamy said.

"If that's the way they want to go, so be it. It won't help their football.''

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said his players were ready to support Turner on the field.

"Our players will be ready to support Steve,'' Waldron said. "It won't worry Steve.

"He accepts it. I'm sure the Gold Coast will give him some come-uppance for choosing to stay in Melbourne.''

The tug of war for Turner finally ended last month when the Titans agreed to release the player from his three-year Gold Coast deal in exchange for two junior players - Smith Samau, who will play for the Titans on Saturday night, and Daniel Isaac.

Nothing like a bit of back-and-fourth in the papers to promote a trial - funny thing is, I am sure this is sold out.

The players I have spoken to re: this trial have no concern for Steve Turner and are concentrating on making the most of their opportunity against the minor premieres who are fielding a near full strength side. Sure, Turner might cop some niggle in tackles, though the majority do - nothing new here.

Not surprisingly, Dean Ritchie's name is attached to this piece.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah I was gonna' say,the Titans players themselves wouldn't really care that much....it's not really any of their business.
Geez I wish Searle would shut his mouth sometimes.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Waldron is quoted as saying much the same.

Bit of paraphrasing going on in that article. Sounds like good banter.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I cant see them doing much to worry him,

looking at the team they are fielding and the Storm are nearly at full strength

Lowdown

Juniors
DeeGan said:
Nothing like a bit of back-and-fourth in the papers to promote a trial - funny thing is, I am sure this is sold out.

The players I have spoken to re: this trial have no concern for Steve Turner and are concentrating on making the most of their opportunity against the minor premieres who are fielding a near full strength side. Sure, Turner might cop some niggle in tackles, though the majority do - nothing new here.

Not surprisingly, Dean Ritchie's name is attached to this piece.

This game certainly has got more coverage than most regular season games. And to think...some people think its only a trial...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
But it is a trial.
I sincerely hope that you're not going to hijack this thread as well.

DeeGan

Bench
I actually brought this piece to the attention of Michael Searle in which I was told he and Waldron and a laugh about this this morning. He ended with "if it helps sell tickets - great!"

The trial should be entertaining.

lotti

Bench
the smile's not been wiped away yet, there's a bit of a storm front over Coffs Habour at the moment and the team playing the Titans might have been inspired by the young guns.

DeeGan

Bench
Dirk Titan said:
will the trials be televised anywhere or called on the radio?

Not to my knowledge, I could be wrong given Sea FM on the Gold Coast are a sponsor and they may coverage of some sort.

If your not at the game I think you will have to settle for a 10-15 second clip on the sports news.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
DeeGan said:
Not to my knowledge, I could be wrong given Sea FM on the Gold Coast are a sponsor and they may coverage of some sort.
Trying to find out more about this. Apparently getting the rights to broadcast (given 2GB agreement with the NRL) is a bit tricky and/or costly. Still in a state of negotiation. I doubt it'll be sorted for a trial match but I'll be listening into Sea-fm and see what sort of score updates they offer, if any.

DeeGan

Bench
Willow said:
Trying to find out more about this. Apparently getting the rights to broadcast (given 2GB agreement with the NRL) is a bit tricky and/or costly. Still in a state of negotiation. I doubt it'll be sorted for a trial match but I'll be listening into Sea-fm and see what sort of score updates they offer, if any.

At worst, you will have what I am filtering through ;-)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It'll be on LeagueUnlimited lotti.

A main page feature article from Saturday which will be updated during the match (half time and full time) thanks to DeeGan and the wonders of mobile phone technology.;-)
Plus I'm sure there'll be updates in the forums here.

Frederick

Staff member
I hope someone puts a massive hit on the little sh*t, and leaves him with an injury that will pretty much rule him out for the year. I know it sounds horrible, but really, he deserves it. A ruptured ACL will do nicely :)

pantherz9103

First Grade
Captain_Fred said:
I hope someone puts a massive hit on the little sh*t, and leaves him with an injury that will pretty much rule him out for the year. I know it sounds horrible, but really, he deserves it. A ruptured ACL will do nicely :)

There's no need to wish that on him despite your disappointment with the contract dispute. I was disappointed when he left penrith all those years ago to play fullback and then he ended up on the wing anyway. The saga is over, I suggest building a bridge titans fans. You got Campbell, i hope he goes well for you and you don't defend him on the wing because other teams will attack you there and target him all day.

Latest posts