What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Eagles?

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's almost certainly never going to happen, and I'm not sure it'd be a good idea if it ever did happen, but it's not impossible that an AFL club could at least attempt to buy an NRL license.

AFL clubs have bought into soccer and netball teams in the past, and have tried to buy into other leagues like the NBL as well, so it's not like they are above the idea of buying into a competitor. However it's a big leap in financial commitment from an old NSL team or Super Netball team to an NRL team, and I think it's highly unlikely that an AFL club would be interested in taking on that sort of financial burden.

You also have to wonder whether the NRL would allow an AFL club to buy an NRL license. IDK maybe they would, but somehow I doubt that the NRL would be too thrilled by the idea.

T-Boon

Coach
I think the idea of clubs having teams in other sports is a great idea. I noticed the other day that not only does Barcelona FC have a basketball team so does Bayern Munich. We all know some AFL clubs have starting fielding netball teams. You could also draw the comparison to college football (possibly the biggest crowd drawing sport in the world) drawing fans from fielding multiple sports teams. It is smart thinking from the well run sports clubs.

T-Boon

Coach
I think the bigger NRL teams should buy into the National Baseball comp. I would love to see the baseball comp hit T20 for six. The Brisbane baseball team should be the Broncos.

mongoose

Coach
Weren't the Panthers interested in buying the Wanderers a few years ago?

The AFL pretty much runs the sports media in the southern states and look at how it treats Rugby League. Imagine the AFL owning a NRL club, it would die within a few years.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The AFL pretty much runs the sports media in the southern states and look at how it treats Rugby League. Imagine the AFL owning a NRL club, it would die within a few years.
Wouldn't that be a good reason for this to happen? The AFL club is going to want to make money out of their investment, so it might actually encourage more media attention.

Wouldn't that be a good reason for this to happen? The AFL club is going to want to make money out of their investment, so it might actually encourage more media attention.
It would make the West Coast Eagles the most sought after sporting club by companies wanting their product to have national exposure. No club in AwFuL or the NRL can expose their brand and sponsors to massive audiences in all five metro markets because neither sport is truly national. Having a team in both competitions makes it possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They could buy man utd as well, that will give them heaps of exposure beyond Australian shores!

T-Boon

Coach
They could buy man utd as well, that will give them heaps of exposure beyond Australian shores!
how?
Who owns Man U now?
Nobody except hardened soccer fans know or care. Man U is its own entity.
The point of having teams in other sports is to have your name and sponsorship in that other sport building fans from other parts of the sports space.
If Parramatta Eels had a baseball team it would be called the Parramatta Eels otherwise it would be pointless.
My vision is that the leagues clubs have multiple sports teams similar to US colleges.

how?
Who owns Man U now?
Nobody except hardened soccer fans know or care. Man U is its own entity.
The point of having teams in other sports is to have your name and sponsorship in that other sport building fans from other parts of the sports space.
If Parramatta Eels had a baseball team it would be called the Parramatta Eels otherwise it would be pointless.
My vision is that the leagues clubs have multiple sports teams similar to US colleges.
The Australian sports landscape is the most congested market in the world. If we want to get more people investing their time and money across numerous sports then we will need to go down the American collegiate system route of clubs expanding their brand across multiple sporting leagues.

T-Boon

Coach
The Australian sports landscape is the most congested market in the world. If we want to get more people investing their time and money across numerous sports then we will need to go down the American collegiate system route of clubs expanding their brand across multiple sporting leagues.

Yep.
For a start NRL clubs are dumb for not seeing the potential in touch footy teams. I know (or at least think) there is some NRL touch comp. But they are their usual half arsed selves about it.

Yep.
For a start NRL clubs are dumb for not seeing the potential in touch footy teams. I know (or at least think) there is some NRL touch comp. But they are their usual half arsed selves about it.
The best thing the Broncos could do is buy the Brisbane Lions and rebrand them as the Brisbane Broncos. Do that and every cent AwFuL spends on developing fumbleball in Queensland will help promote the dominant sporting club in Queensland.

Colk

First Grade
I think the bigger NRL teams should buy into the National Baseball comp. I would love to see the baseball comp hit T20 for six. The Brisbane baseball team should be the Broncos.

Why Baseball? I like baseball as a sport but I don’t know whether a national baseball competition would ever gain massive popularity for the same reason as the A-League or the NBL: people can just watch and follow a better overseas competition.

T-Boon

Coach
Why Baseball? I like baseball as a sport but I don’t know whether a national baseball competition would ever gain massive popularity for the same reason as the A-League or the NBL: people can just watch and follow a better overseas competition.

I agree. I just like the idea of RL going to war with cricket and in particular T20 (I just flicked onto sheffield shield for 1 minute and in that time I predictably heard the commentators start talking AFL).
Maybe a better sport for NRL clubs to buy into is field hockey. That is a pretty cool sport. Similar sized field. Australia is great at it. Women and men are equally into it.
Another one would be volleyball which is a superior sport to netball if you ask me.

Colk

First Grade
Yep.

Exactly. You can use it the same way as NFL does or even soccer with futsal. Kids under 10 for example can all play touch. Then when kids get to a certain age they can continue with touch or start to play tackle and up to say under 18 (probably 16 tbf) you could split them in weight divisions. You would help alleviate the problem of smaller kids not getting involved or bigger kids just dominating and with kids so might see greater emphasis on passing and ball movement being taught at a younger age

Colk

First Grade
I agree. I just like the idea of RL going to war with cricket and in particular T20 (I just flicked onto sheffield shield for 1 minute and in that time I predictably heard the commentators start talking AFL).
Maybe a better sport for NRL clubs to buy into is field hockey. That is a pretty cool sport. Similar sized field. Australia is great at it. Women and men are equally into it.
Another one would be volleyball which is a superior sport to netball if you ask me.

I love my cricket too but that’s one of my pet peeves with cricket commentary. You get some w****** from Victoria (like James Brayshaw for example) in the commentary box and the topic invariably heads toward funmbleball.

Colk

First Grade
Weren't the Panthers interested in buying the Wanderers a few years ago?

Yeah soccer clubs would make more sense in terms of ground usage.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The best thing the Broncos could do is buy the Brisbane Lions and rebrand them as the Brisbane Broncos. Do that and every cent AwFuL spends on developing fumbleball in Queensland will help promote the dominant sporting club in Queensland.
That's not how marketing and advertising works lol.
Pro-teams can't copy the collegiate system, they have to pay their players a salary among other things.

Even if they could copy the collegiate system it wouldn't work the way you assume it does because A. it takes more to get people to support a team then it simply being part of the same organisation as another popular team, as evidenced by comparing the attendance of collegiate teams in one of the big sports (Gridiron, Basketball, etc) to smaller sports (Lacrosse, Water Polo, Bowling, etc), and B. attracting supporters is way less competitive in collegiate sports where the team's support bases are mainly made up of people whom go to, or used to go to, that school.

Besides multi-sports clubs already exist without the need to copy the collegiate system, and many of the NRL clubs are/were multi-sport clubs and I see no evidence that any of them have seen a sizable boost in support for the RL department as a result.

That's not to say that there's no value in NRL clubs pursuing licenses in other leagues, only that it doesn't achieve what you think it achieves. I can even think of scenarios where it would be in an NRL club's interest to buy into a competitor, it's in the Raiders interest to make sure the Brumbies continue to exist for example.

Perth Red

Post Whore
nah they should buy the denver broncos, you know because their names are the same lol.