What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

BuffaloRules

Coach
I recall that one too. There were a lot of weird offers going on at the time. If I recall Balmain also looked at Parramatta and the Roosters as well.

Most people who lived through the times are probably unaware of most of these back room deals any way. What you're saying is true to some degree. The ARL definitely did give Packer all the power but consider this - what's the difference between doing that and what the NRL did in handing power to a 9 & Foxtel oligopoly during the 2000s? Both are bad deals by any logical measure.

Negotiation isn't just what you offer and who's bidding, it's also about perception and foresight. It was obvious from the American experience that subscription television was going to boom in the 90s and the ARL were simply unprepared for it.

What was the alternative for the ARL at the time?

Tell Packer to get stuffed and have the ABC show the games for free?

They still needed some TV money and Packer was offering them something which they needed to run the comp...

Arko and Quayle didn't want to give up the Pay TV rights but Packer insisted...

They still needed some TV money and Packer was offering them something which they needed to run the comp...

Compared to other NRL administrations, the Arko/Quayle gets tons of praise by under there leadership super-league occur which is a big negative. The face that some clubs weren't happen with how they ran things show that even the best NRL administration had it's detractors.

BuffaloRules

Coach
"Of late"? You mean this year when people like myself finally got sick of the run around from the NRL. Even then they were hardly terrible by NRL standards this season.

11k is a fair chunk below the average..

What angle are you trying to argue though?

"Another sell out in Perth" or "Perth crowds have thrown in the towel because they haven't been given a team"?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bit of both. Test match was high profile and always going to draw well. Club games are reflecting the frustration of Perth RL fans imo. though on its defence the 11k was on a miserable stormy night, think 7k in Sydney. The hype around NRL here has died down as the flames of expansion have been well and truly extinguished. Test match shows still plenty of RL fans in Perth.

siv

First Grade

I think you will find TV rights had been secured before the government stepped in and forced Packer and Murdoch/Telstra to split their Pay-TV proposal

docbrown

Coach

Packer insisted because who knew that in a few short years Optus Vision would be up and running. He didn't want a rival to get the rights.

But Arko & Quayle didn't have the foresight to see their future value.

Do you really think Packer would have had a hissyfit and say "No, I don't want the F2A rights or the pay TV rights now". It's just helping his competitors. News Ltd threw a hissy fit this last round of negotiations 'We want this and this blah blah' 'the total rights won't get over $1 billion'.

Negotiation is what you make of it. The ARL gave all the power to Packer even though they had plenty up their sleeves.

Compared to other NRL administrations, the Arko/Quayle gets tons of praise by under there leadership super-league occur which is a big negative.

Republicans: "There were no major terrorist attacks during our last administration"*
*If you start your counting from September 12th 2001...

ARL: "There were no major negative incidents during our administration"*
* If you ignore that whole Super League War/almost destroying the game/killing off a bunch teams incident...

BuffaloRules

Coach
Packer insisted because who knew that in a few short years Optus Vision would be up and running. He didn't want a rival to get the rights.

But Arko & Quayle didn't have the foresight to see their future value.

Do you really think Packer would have had a hissyfit and say "No, I don't want the F2A rights or the pay TV rights now". It's just helping his competitors. News Ltd threw a hissy fit this last round of negotiations 'We want this and this blah blah' 'the total rights won't get over $1 billion'.

Negotiation is what you make of it. The ARL gave all the power to Packer even though they had plenty up their sleeves.

Packer didn't get to his station in life by not getting the maximum value in negotiations when he had the upper hand....

I have no doubt that he knew he was the only bidder and would have told the ARL that there was the deal, take it or leave it....

Leaving it would have meant going to the ABC and having them show the games for free because the only other options were Seven who said they didn't want it and Ten who had just gone broke...

docbrown

Coach
Packer didn't get to his station in life by not getting the maximum value in negotiations when he had the upper hand....

It also helps when your daddy & granddaddy build you a multi-million media empire too. How successful would Kerry have been if his father had given the empire to his older brother instead...? He still would have inherited a few million but he probably wouldn't have become a billionaire.

Yes, Kerry became a good businessman. No one's arguing against that. He was also a bit of a gambler though which has its pros and cons. Was he some kind of flawless super-genius wunderkind? Hardly.

I'm not disagreeing that Packer had most of the power in the negotiations, I'm simply saying that the ARL didn't do their homework to extract full value. I mean, what makes the ARL negotiation different to Gallop taking the News Corp monopoly's first offer? They're both examples of poor administration.

If a rival pro rugby league comp were to happen today people would be lambasting the new commission. Yet, why give the old ARL the thumbs up in this regard? It's illogical.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was part of a strategy for NRL expansion. They were told to enter one then progress to nsw cup then they would likely be admitted in 2013.

Then the NRL had a change of heart and told them to abandon Jim beam cup and concentrate on jnrs so we moved the funding to the SG ball and academy programs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The first plan was for Reds to join qland cup,then it changed to nsw

From a travel cost and practicality nsw cup is probably the better option

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Yeah I know, been following this since day dot.

tcAM0eD.png

fCkFYUi.png

LkMhawv.png

taipan

Referee
This is great. I would love to see the NSW Cup introduce more teams located in Regional Centres like Wagga

Seriously MM.That avatar of yours of Percy P*sshead gives me chunder symptoms.
Everytime I see it,I want to give up the drinker move to another space.

Latest posts