What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Tiger

Bench
yeah I am aware of the SG Ball team.

Big difference though competing in basically a student aged comp in a shortened season to the step up to U20s and then NSW level with adults. (From and organisational point of view)

Which by the way I am fully supportive of, but I haven't seen any evidence of the ground work for this undertaking yet apart from statements and 'future plans'

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is this confirmed or just wishful thinking?

Given how long it seems to be taking the NSWRL to admit Fiji into the comp who have an active application for the last few year i cant see them being progressive enough to admit a Perth team unless directed to by the NRL

Its part of the NRLWA's pathway vision they have put out so I guess given NRLWA is effectively owned by the NRL its on the cards.

https://nrlwa.com.au/pirates-we-are-wa-vision/

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeah I am aware of the SG Ball team.

Big difference though competing in basically a student aged comp in a shortened season to the step up to U20s and then NSW level with adults. (From and organisational point of view)

Which by the way I am fully supportive of, but I haven't seen any evidence of the ground work for this undertaking yet apart from statements and 'future plans'

I'm actually against it UNLESS it is part of a committed plan for a definite NRL club in 2023. Waste of time and money otherwise, better we concentrate on getting more kids playing the game in WA and strengthen the WA clubs than an elite team in the second tier draining scarce resources and weakening the WA Snr league.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I'm actually against it UNLESS it is part of a committed plan for a definite NRL club in 2023. Waste of time and money otherwise, better we concentrate on getting more kids playing the game in WA and strengthen the WA clubs than an elite team in the second tier draining scarce resources and weakening the WA Snr league.

Yeah that is a given for me, without an NRL team above it or planned to come in above it any NSW cup team wouldn't have the players to compete and wouldn't generate the money to be sustainable.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Is this confirmed or just wishful thinking?

Given how long it seems to be taking the NSWRL to admit Fiji into the comp who have an active application for the last few year i cant see them being progressive enough to admit a Perth team unless directed to by the NRL

TBF the delay in getting a Fiji team into the NSW cup has been because the Fiji bid has failed to prove their financial viability...

Perth Tiger

Bench
TBF the delay in getting a Fiji team into the NSW cup has been because the Fiji bid has failed to prove their financial viability...
I know but if Fiji can’t raise the money needed, then there is no way Perth will be able to raise the money without a gold plated guarantee that it will lead directly to an NRL team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know but if Fiji can’t raise the money needed, then there is no way Perth will be able to raise the money without a gold plated guarantee that it will lead directly to an NRL team.

Png have only done it because they Govt is tipping in a shed load of cash. Unless you have a pokie den or a nrl club funding it then second tier isn’t viable or sustainable,

The Great Dane

First Grade

It seems to me that saying that you doubt that the NSWRL "is progressive enough" to accept new clubs from non-traditional regions was a strange way of expressing that, since the delay in getting Fiji into the NSW Cup has nothing to do with the NSWRL's progressive nature or lack there of... But I digress.

In the case of Perth not being able to support a team in the second tier I guess it really depends on the nature of the second tier it's self. I don't doubt that it'd be difficult to find the funding to support a second tier team as things stand with the second tier getting next to no exposure in the media and basically no support from the NRL to grow it's own brand, it's basically impossible to run a professional club at that level that is sustainable independent of other sources of funding, but if that were to change and the second tier comp had national exposure with all/most of it's games broadcast in some way then maybe those circumstances would be different...
It'll never happen though cause the NRL is too timid and too short sighted to completely restructure the lower tiers so that they have the potential to become viable businesses in their own right, well that and the NRL clubs would chuck a fit at the thought that they'd have to "share" broadcast rights money and resources with them and that a whole bunch of potential new competitors had just entered the market...

j5o6hn

Juniors
The under 18 Kalamunda Bulldogs only lost by 1 pt to my pet hate South Perth, hope the bulldogs can hang on to the young blokes in 18s

Perth Red

Post Whore
The under 18 Kalamunda Bulldogs only lost by 1 pt to my pet hate South Perth, hope the bulldogs can hang on to the young blokes in 18s

Good signs for bulldogs, they’ve been whipping boys in snr men’s for a long time so would be great to see them strengthen.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In yet more signs that the game continues to grow and go from strength to strength in WA there will hopefully be two new RL clubs starting up in 2019 both in regional WA. Albany and Chittering are both looking to start up Jnr teams and womens teams.

This is on the back of the successful start up of clubs in the SW region of WA, and Perth suburbs of Mandurah, Ellenbrook and Kwinnana in the last couple of years, along with the return of the Applecross Jets.

https://nrlwa.com.au/nrl-wa-looking-to-expand-to-albany/

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL WA plan to expand junior rugby league into Albany. Picture: Getty Images, Getty

Expanding junior rugby league into Albany will be top of the agenda tomorrow night when the future of the sport is discussed at an open forum.

Representatives from NRL WA will visit Albany tomorrow and Thursday for the forum to discuss the possible expansion of rugby league into the Great Southern.

In partnership with Touch Football Albany, there are plans to grow the sport over the entire year.

NRL WA operations co-ordinator Tony Crowe said the establishment of a junior rugby league competition was long overdue.

Crowe hoped there would be enough interest for a six-a-side modified league from under-six to under-12 age groups in winter with junior touch football in summer.

“We are serious about introducing junior rugby league in the Great Southern,” he said.

https://www.albanyadvertiser.com.au...7f-mkSASpGUScvZziRhEeJAmH_RANHsad8xCM1hujXpNs