What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Melbourne - NRL Expansion (2nd Victorian Team)

macca_saint

Juniors
It would definitely strengthen the case for a second Melbourne team. You'd immediately double the market size to over 2.5m in population, which would rank it above Brisbane by that metric. The only concern I'd have hypothetically is would the Storm be willing to concede the Northern suburbs, given they've built a $12m centre of excellence in Broadmeadows.
Population size matters little when less than 1% of them have even a slight interest the game, especially if you’re going to compare it to Brisbane. The NRL does not have the appetite for decades of pumping in 10’s of millions in funding like the AFL does.

Pippen94

First Grade
Population size matters little when less than 1% of them have even a slight interest the game, especially if you’re going to compare it to Brisbane. The NRL does not have the appetite for decades of pumping in 10’s of millions in funding like the AFL does.

Pretty much no sporting competition in the world props up expansion teams like afl. They need to because they dominant in only less than half of a small country

greenBV4

Bench
It's a forum to discuss NRL expansion so ppl sharing an opinion on this kinda of stuff is implied. Fun for me too
you rarely ever actually discuss anything though, just present your opinion in fact as a blunt statement, bait and troll certain posters, then misread & misquote anything that's ever actually said to you in response..

you responded "nobody gives a shit about nrl in Melbourne" to a poster who quite clearly gives a shit, so at the very least there's one. (throw me in and there's 2, throw in last years members and there's at least ∼40,000)

Colk

First Grade
you rarely ever actually discuss anything though, just present your opinion in fact as a blunt statement, bait and troll certain posters, then misread & misquote anything that's ever actually said to you in response..

you responded "nobody gives a shit about nrl in Melbourne" to a poster who quite clearly gives a shit, so at the very least there's one. (throw me in and there's 2, throw in last years members and there's at least ∼40,000)

Very well done mate. Brilliant response although I’m sure he won’t understand it (or he will misquote it)

Pippen94

First Grade

6k watching on Friday nights is nobody. Melbourne's west is projected to be heavily populated but that's a long way off.
20k soccer stadium there will never be built.

Pippen94

First Grade
Very well done mate. Brilliant response although I’m sure he won’t understand it (or he will misquote it)

I understand perfectly. Some ppl fantasize about certain nrl expansion. It's nice to think about or even pose somewhere like here, but ultimately a waste of time

The Great Dane

First Grade
He understands, he’s just a troll or incredibly intellectually dishonest.

Either way he’s been quickly banned from every other site I’ve seen him pop up on because of it. The only reason he’s still around here is because there’s almost zero moderation.

There’s little substance to engaging in discussion with him, so my advice is to ignore him.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
He understands, he’s just a troll or incredibly intellectually dishonest.

Either way he’s been quickly banned from every other site I’ve seen him pop up on because of it. The only reason he’s still around here is because there’s almost zero moderation.

There’s little substance to engaging in discussion with him, so my advice is to ignore him.

I advocate for an NRL with predominantly NSW & qld teams (something which the league is doubling down on).

Nobody has a problem with multiple homophobic accounts here.

I deleted my bigfooty account because of hateful discourse. I was never banned there or anywhere

Pneuma

First Grade
I advocate for an NRL with predominantly NSW & qld teams (something which the league is doubling down on).

I deleted my bigfooty account because of hateful discourse. I was never banned there or anywhere
You tell them mate.

greenBV4

Bench
I understand perfectly. Some ppl fantasize about certain nrl expansion. It's nice to think about or even pose somewhere like here, but ultimately a waste of time
It's not a waste of time though, I agree melbourne 2 is way to soon to actually add as team 18, but to completely ignore and not even consider a derby in the countries now largest city would be a mistake, its worth at the least looking into its viablility each time expansion comes round.

Depending on the timeline for team 20 melbourne 2 might be a more serious contender for that

Colk

First Grade

No, he had you pretty nailed on. You’re pretty much the Ignatius J Reilly of this forum sans the eloquence or wit.

You post endlessly about the same thing (how many threads have you created which is essentially a variation of the same theme for example) berate and troll people with different opinions than your own - without even conceiving of the other person’s perspective - as well as commonly misquote people.

For instance, I don’t think this is something you would look at least in the foreseeable future but I’ll still take note of what the proponents are saying

Btw the competition will always be predominantly QLD/NSW based. There are already 14 sides out of 17 that are from those areas. After a while though you have to look at other markets in my opinion.

Dark Corner

Juniors
When does all the expansion's stop as we have talk of Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne 2, Central Coast, Brisbane Tigers, Sunshine Coast, Wellington, Canterbury, PNG etc
Perfect world it be great if all of them were in the NRL.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

"Hateful discourse" otherwise known as legitimate criticism that challenges your world view...

The Great Dane

First Grade
When does all the expansion's stop as we have talk of Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne 2, Central Coast, Brisbane Tigers, Sunshine Coast, Wellington, Canterbury, PNG etc
Perfect world it be great if all of them were in the NRL.
Leave them in the second tier where they belong for the foreseeable future.

I'd say the same about a 3rd Brisbane side, but allowing the Dolphins in has made further expansion in Brisbane necessary. The NRL will probably end up with 4/5 clubs in Brisbane given time now.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Leave them in the second tier where they belong for the foreseeable future.

I'd say the same about a 3rd Brisbane side, but allowing the Dolphins in has made further expansion in Brisbane necessary. The NRL will probably end up with 4/5 clubs in Brisbane given time now.
But what 2nd tier is that or what should it be.