What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Perth Reds

Alan Shore

First Grade
Sydney-centric wankers. It's people like you who are stunting the growth of rugby league and giving AFL a free reign. Footy and the Reds were actually well received by westerners.

t-ba

Post Whore
I really didn't see to much of them. I didn't watch a minute of Super League (I think they got more games on the tube that year than the other two combined), So I couldn't say.

The Loss of the Reds wasn't any ARL-SL compromise either. Rupert Wanted the Bears or the Eels to switch so he could have 12 teams for 1998 (+Melbourne) but they remained staunch and he cut them.

ouwet

Bench
:roll: Losing the Reds was disgraceful at best! Third strongest League state is now virtually lost to AFL, Soccer & Union. The media werent anti-league and i think im right in saying they had alot of FTA coverage...

Once Dead

Bench
Tamazoid said:
Sydney-centric wankers. It's people like you who are stunting the growth of rugby league and giving AFL a free reign. Footy and the Reds were actually well received by westerners.

Yawn, its called saracasm you Yarra drinking AFL traitor

ouwet

Bench
Impellitteri said:
Tamazoid said:

:roll: :roll: ok Impellitteri... If only every League fan was as dedicated too League as Tamazoid :)

zulu

Juniors
Surely it had to be their opening game/win against the Dragons in front of 25,000 at the WACA.

I believe they had more potential than the Storm, simply because of the stronger club comp in perth and more juniors.

It's a disgrace they were kicked out really.

Paullyboy

Coach
Was there any reason other than just to reduce teams? Because if they had the finance they could have been the best thing to happen to league in this country as they ahve a brilliant junior base thanks mainly to Aranmore college

Alan Shore

First Grade
Impellitteri said:
Tamazoid said:

AFL traitor? Please explain.

dimitri

First Grade
i agree that the attitude of some of the posters in this thread is disgusting

the reds were a great team and had enormous potential

their opening match was a real highlight

in my opinion they deserve to be in the comp today

they were simply cut to reduce numbers

we had a decent club comp in perth, tv coverage and many fans

People who think super league was the way only have to look at what they did to perth to realise that super league was a load of crap

Pantherjim.

Referee
Tamazoid said:

No disrespect intended Tamazoid, but I think you're being a tad harsh. From my observations not many people even know what Rugby League is in Perth, let-alone have an interest in it. I was in Perth 3 weeks ago sitting in the "Brass Monkey" hotel in Northbridge, drinking their fine handcrafted beers and watching the Knights take on the Storm at Olympic Park on Foxtel. The Bar-keep started watching it with me, his first question was: "This is live from the U.K. is it?" To which I replied... "No, it's in Melbourne" The Bar-keep responded: "They play the super 12's in Melbourne? I thought Melbourne was all A.F.L?" "It is mostly...." I replied, "But this isn't Rugby Union either, it's the N.R.L. - Rugby League" And then he said: "I thought all Rugby was the same!"

I'm not going to bore you all with the entire conversation - but that is the common view amongst many people in the Southern and Western States. i.e. They know so litttle about Rugby League that they believe Rugby League and Union is one and the same. My last G.F. was Victorian and during the early stages of our relationship, I wish I had a $ for everytime she asked me "how many Panthers players play for the Wallabies?" :roll:
The fact is that I think starting N.R.L clubs in Adelaide and Perth is a doomed venture. No offence to Storm fans, but Melbourne is struggling to attract crowds > than 10,000 at most home games at Olympic Park, whereas just down the road at the M.C.G. the local darby between Carlton and Essendon has netted 45,000+ You can't seriously expect to convert die-hard AFL fans into Rugby League fans overnight! after all, would you drop your beloved code and go and follow an AFL team on a whim?

The way the N.R.L. should go about it if they want to give the AFL a run for it's money in the Southern & Western States is to first try and promote Rugby League in schools in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. Not only the capital cities but the country towns as well. They would also do well to try and establish local and district Rugby League clubs. You have to try and catch people at an early age to generate an interest in a code of sport.

Pantherjim.

Campbell,P-4040201L.jpg

Latest posts