What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a World Cup!

So what is stopping it?

1: NRL - I don't see any clubs letting anyone go for a mid season series and probably even reluctant or schedule post season surgery for any minor injuries, so they are ready for pre-season.
The season needs to be shortened so each team plays each other once and would allow for a decent Union style international tour, but this wont happen anytime soon as TV rights have signed up for so many game from the product.

2: State of Origin, while this continues to be played mid season and steals talent from other countries Aussie will continue to dominate, rule changes needed to State or Residence, as currently Kiwi born playing for both QLD and NSW, so purest have lost the battle anyway. (Thank god we didn't have to listen to Phil Gould talking Origin the whole cup!).
If they must persist with it mid season, shut the NRL down for the weekend and have a international theme going.

Not sure how happy ESL would be either letting guys go off to play.

Basically the RLIF needs to sit down and talk with the NRL and ESL about what can be done to accommodate!

roughyedspud

Coach
Australia being so far ahead of the rest of the world is obviously not helping, but I think there's a shift coming in the next couple of years and England will take over the Kiwis by a good margin. The Kiwis' future doesn't look good, a very average team with little talent, no speed and rubbish halves who are here to stay.

i don't think australia are so far ahead tbh...the scoreline at the weekend was more down to the punishing game the kiwis had the week before against england than australia being light years ahead of us two....

but yeah the next couple of years will be interesting mainly because of the amount of players australia are going to have to replace..

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
i don't think australia are so far ahead tbh...the scoreline at the weekend was more down to the punishing game the kiwis had the week before against england than australia being light years ahead of us two....

but yeah the next couple of years will be interesting mainly because of the amount of players australia are going to have to replace..

Oh please, stop trying to get a rise out of people. England played a great game and still lost to a ildisciplined Kiwi side. Their game against you was their worst of the tournament and they still beat England.

New Zealand losing had nothing to do with the game against England.

roughyedspud

Coach
oh c'mon the kiwis where done in,mentally and physically shot...a strong wind could have blown them over in the final :lol:

and i wasn't trying too get a rise out of anyone...the top3 have never been more equally matched imo

Paullyboy

Coach
Haha, I wanted the Poms in the final as much as anyone, but you can't seriously think that the Kiwi's were impacted because of their semi-final.

England and NZ creates a good matchup when they play each other, but neither team is even borderline close to Australia when the players take the game seriously.

roughyedspud

Coach
Haha, I wanted the Poms in the final as much as anyone, but you can't seriously think that the Kiwi's were impacted because of their semi-final.

England and NZ creates a good matchup when they play each other, but neither team is even borderline close to Australia when the players take the game seriously.

when theres kiwis crying after the game saying it was the hardest game they've ever played....then yeah its gonna impact their next game....

i called it days before the final,i said the aussies will win easy cos the kiwis where shot after the semi.....and look what happened lol

look don't hate cos im right lol

Last edited:
We needed to have England in the final because Sam Burgess and George Burgess would have monstered the Aussie pack, and James Graham would have outwitted them, giving Gary Widdop time to weave his magic for Sam Tomkins and Ryan Hall to exploit.

Paullyboy

Coach
when theres kiwis crying after the game saying it was the hardest game they've ever played....then yeah its gonna impact their next game....

i called it days before the final,i said the aussies will win easy cos the kiwis where shot after the semi.....and look what happened lol

look don't hate cos im right lol

Well if that's your argument then I could counter with - I called it the minute we lost the final in 2008 that the players would take it seriously next time and no one would get close to Australia

Well if that's your argument then I could counter with - I called it the minute we lost the final in 2008 that the players would take it seriously next time and no one would get close to Australia

Indeed, I tweeted that to the 'Roos and Cam Smith, no repeat of '08. I wanted clinical destruction of England in October, and after that match tweeted that I wanted Inglis at fullback and Evans at halfback, to make sure that we win the WC. Well, it went well with Slater and Cronk, fair enough; in 2017 I want the same, if not better, 50 points in the final.

Last edited:
I obviously mean the next yr it's played, it hasn't bn confirmed as being 2017. I'll edit it to make it certain of what I mean. Everybody should know that there's no WC in 2014.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal

Australia lost the 2010 4N final.... good call champ. Were they only taking it seriously in certain years?

Paullyboy

Coach
Australia lost the 2010 4N final.... good call champ. Were they only taking it seriously in certain years?

I think this is the first time that I can remember the Australian team taking a match as seriously as they would if they were playing an origin match.

Ever since the mid 90's at least, there has not really been a game that Australia would have lost if they genuinely gave their all. This World Cup seemed a bit different in that they actually had something to prove (although I still think they had another gear if absolutely needed).

deluded pom?

Coach
I think this is the first time that I can remember the Australian team taking a match as seriously as they would if they were playing an origin match.

Ever since the mid 90's at least, there has not really been a game that Australia would have lost if they genuinely gave their all. This World Cup seemed a bit different in that they actually had something to prove (although I still think they had another gear if absolutely needed).

So the Kiwis only won because the Aussies didn't take the games seriously!! BS.

Paullyboy

Coach
I know you lot want to pretend you're actually close to Australia, but let's not kid ourselves.

Hopefully in 10 years it may change a little for the good of the game, but any sport where nz is competitive with Australia is simply just a sport they care about more than we do, it's that simple.

Latest posts