What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a World Cup!

judah

Juniors
I know you lot want to pretend you're actually close to Australia, but let's not kid ourselves.

Hopefully in 10 years it may change a little for the good of the game, but any sport where nz is competitive with Australia is simply just a sport they care about more than we do, it's that simple.

c**k

adamkungl

Immortal
lol what a load of bs. Only lost because we weren't trying, that's dead set schoolboy level arrogance

Paullyboy

Coach
Do you seriously, honestly, believe that Australia has taken many of the internationals they've played in the last decade as seriously as they do when they are playing origin?

If you do believe that, I pity your ability to comprehend a situation.

deluded pom?

Coach
Do you seriously, honestly, believe that Australia has taken many of the internationals they've played in the last decade as seriously as they do when they are playing origin?

If you do believe that, I pity your ability to comprehend a situation.

I can comprehend that you're a tw@.

Tone83

Juniors
It's true though. Australia go in to internationals half assed, which doesn't mean they aren't trying, but not playing out of their skin like their life depends on it, and that is a huge gulf in effort.

NZ traditionally go into internationals much like qld or nsw go into origin, fired up and feverishly desperate to win for the pride of their home country and etc etc (although I'd say not quite origin pitch). Especially against australia, then they'll go play england, not care so much, and have really close matches.

If all teams were equally not caring or equally fired up, australia wouldn't have lost in the last 2 decades or so. NZ and england would be very close with oz consistently good for a 20-30 point gap over them. I honestly think even the blues would smash nz and england if they came out with origin intensity. I don't know if nzers or english people get origin intense about anything, I don't know if anyone in the world outside of qld and nsw does. When origin players say they would die to win the game for their team, they literally mean it.

Joker's Wild

Coach
lol what a load of bs. Only lost because we weren't trying, that's dead set schoolboy level arrogance

Agreed

You only have to look at the team list from both the 2008 WC and the 2010 4N finals to see where the games were lost. The Australian 2010 backline was especially derptastic

Saint Doc

Coach
Anyone who says Aus lost because they "weren't trying" has obviously never played sport. That's not how it works. It might be how you think it works, but when you're out on a field or court, playing high level sport, you compete like anything. It's only armchair fans who think its possible to get out there and "not care" or "not try" when playing an international tournament final

Tone83

Juniors
Like I said, they were trying, you're right you pretty much have to try once you're out on the field. However, they weren't origin trying, they weren't THAT motivated, and this is a big difference. Kiwis are arguably near origin level motivated when they play the aussies, they have a rivalry in their heads where they want to stick it to us but it's not really reciprocated.

Springs

First Grade
If a team actually didn't try they'd get beat by 70, even a team as good as Australia. There's no such thing as 'Origin trying'. Go tell the Australian players devastated after 08 that they weren't trying as hard as they could to win that game.

Tone83

Juniors
They weren't origin trying. Just admit they weren't origin trying and then we can agree to disagree about the rest.

Tone83

Juniors
I don't get how you can deny there are degrees of intensity when it comes to effort. Obviously in say a round 4 raiders vs newcastle match the guys are trying, trying their hardest to win, but they're not origin trying. They're not playing like their life literally depends on the outcome of the game.

I mean the difference is visibly apparent from watching any given 5 second segment from either game.

The difference is also visibly apparent when comparing an origin match with a kangaroos game, any kangaroos game. In no kangaroos game have they ever origin tried. Why, it's possible no man has ever origin tried at anything, except origin. In all other applications of effort a man will leave some spare reserves in the tank, but not at origin. That's why the phrase "origin trying" exists, to describe this very phenomenon of truly fully emptying one's reserves of effort. Explain why the term origin trying would even exist if it wasn't a uniquely high level of trying?

Paullyboy

Coach
There's no point in having this debate. People from NZ or England can never truly understand it and will never have their mind change, people like Springs are just desperate for people to change their thinking from origin to internationals and will also never have their mind changed.

Obviously professional athletes always try to win. But there is most certainly different levels of desperation and aggression.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well getting back to the World Cup, I must say Ive enjoyed every moment of it, so here's my summary of the cup:

Getting up early or staying up late to watch it on 7mate has been great.

Who wouldve thought this World Cup would be a step up to the previous cup in 2008.

We've seen some amazing achievements in this cup.

Lets start with the USA.

For a team who didnt had no coach a month before the tournament was basically given little hope. But when Terry Matterson took over, their performances were good to watch. An upset win in their first game against Cook Islands was oustanding, and who wouldve thought they would back it up against Wales in their home turf. 2 wins from 2 and theyve reached the quarter finals in their debut. This is also a team who wasnt even getting paid and not even recognised in their own country. The Wiggles even gave them their own song.

And whilst they got flogged against Australia, they shouldnt feel too disappointed on how far they went.

What about Scotland?? They didnt even expect to beat Tonga, and came away with an upset victory thanks to some performances from Danny Brough and Matty Russell.

It was their best performance in any tournament, they drew with Italy and beat the USA.

And when they were up against the reigning champions New Zealand they tried their very best. Well done to Scotland.

Watching Samoa against New Zealand was great. It was amazing to see them come from behind 36-4 to 36-22 and it looked as though they might level it.

Also Fiji in the first half against England was amazing.

We've seen how these minnows have improve and we'd hope to see them play more matches against the big 3.

One of my favourite moments of the cup was the semi final between England and New Zealand. This was a great game, and it'll probably go down as one of the great test matches of all time.

A great battle in the forwards, Burgess Brothers, James Graham, up against SBW and JWH.

Australia's performance in this tournament has been outstanding. Whilst it wasnt great against Fiji and Ireland, I have to say the turning point was against USA. We can say the USA was basically a low ranked side, but Australia really took this game serious and even against Fiji they were just too good. Not surprisingly they ran away with against New Zealand.

Finally the crowds. WOW!!!.

The organisers should get an applause for this, no ... a standing ovation.

The fact that we've had record crowds throughout this tournament has been remarkable and to top it off, the biggest crowd of the tournament beat the record held in 1992.

I hope we gain momentum from this World Cup.

Tone83

Juniors
Thank you. Honestly I am taken aback by the reverence and respect you guys have for me to hold me in such esteemed high regard but can we please get back to you both admitting that the kangaroos don't origin try, in those words.

Brutus

Referee
It's true though. Australia go in to internationals half assed, which doesn't mean they aren't trying, but not playing out of their skin like their life depends on it, and that is a huge gulf in effort.

NZ traditionally go into internationals much like qld or nsw go into origin, fired up and feverishly desperate to win for the pride of their home country and etc etc (although I'd say not quite origin pitch). Especially against australia, then they'll go play england, not care so much, and have really close matches.

If all teams were equally not caring or equally fired up, australia wouldn't have lost in the last 2 decades or so. NZ and england would be very close with oz consistently good for a 20-30 point gap over them. I honestly think even the blues would smash nz and england if they came out with origin intensity. I don't know if nzers or english people get origin intense about anything, I don't know if anyone in the world outside of qld and nsw does. When origin players say they would die to win the game for their team, they literally mean it.

Rubbish.

Latest posts