What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did Gallen say/do to Paea?

Jasdragon

Juniors
Yep - you got it jas. Take my line and re-use it

I didn't think you were that dopey :lol:

You have cruelled my good record of being right all the time

:crazy: Why don't you just stick to defending that grub Gallen?? As all he seems to do is give you scumnulla supporters constant reasons to defend him, which you blindly do, regardless of what he has done.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I have a carch type story.

One day at work we had a particular "customer" living in the jail clinic.

It was an indigenous person. A transgender. Sad soul is also drug dependant. Now, in our system if you are born a male and become a transgender you have to go to a male jail until it can be proved your bits are non functional if they haven't been removed.

This person demanded that I give them a bra, something we don't have in male jails.

I explained this to the person and explained how they could go about getting said item only to be screamed at "YOU'RE A RACIST WHITE merkin!!!"

It's all about perception. My buzzword for May.

I also have relatives blacker than this person who put me on the Archie Bunker! I am therefore........black.

spider

Coach
:crazy: Why don't you just stick to defending that grub Gallen?? As all he seems to do is give you scumnulla supporters constant reasons to defend him, which you blindly do, regardless of what he has done.
Ha ha ha - you really are dopey, and i was only taking the pizz before

Read my post on the incident again then look in the mirror at your stupidity :lol:

Who needs a joke thread for laughs when we have the likes of you posting

Jasdragon

Juniors
Ha ha ha - you really are dopey, and i was only taking the pizz before

Read my post on the incident again then look in the mirror at your stupidity :lol:

Who needs a joke thread for laughs when we have the likes of you posting

:roll: I'm sure you were.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Where has Dogs of War gone?

Beddy byes?

I want him to answer my question.

Come on Doggie War. What's your point with how many penalties Gallen has given away per games played?

roboshark

Coach
Of course he has gone to bed. Most 2nd graders are in bed this time on a schoolnight. Either that or he is out the back of his house sharing his icecream cone with his puppy

redback

Bench
So you havent even seen it! I was meters away and Pea had more to say than Gal, it had been building up most of the second half.I personaly dont think racial vilification matters on the feild ( if you cant handle it you are not good enough to be there) ok so you have played so you should know better. Especialy as a forward you should know. At full time they did the man thing and put it right. Get over it Inferno

A new candidate for most embarrassing Sharks fan of the year has emerged!

spider

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/leaguehq/articles/2009/05/25/1243103475490.html

Gallen to contest fine for alleged racial abuse

Jacquelin Magnay, Jamie Pandaram and Brad Walter | May 26, 2009

CRONULLA captain Paul Gallen claims he was misheard and will contest a $10,000 fine imposed by the NRL for allegedly racially abusing St George Illawarra forward Mickey Paea, complaining that he did not receive a hearing.

Fighting a sponsor backlash to the spate of bad news headlines of late, the NRL came in hard yesterday and fined Gallen despite Paea refraining from lodging an official complaint.

Gallen is believed to have told Paea yesterday that he didn't call him a "black c---", but rather a "f---ing c---" and intends to contest the breach notice.

When contacted by the Herald last night, Gallen made a tacky comment and hung up.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said the game had no place for racial vilification and deemed that Gallen had breached the club's code of conduct.

However, Gallen's manager, David Riolo, who met with the player at the Sharks Leagues Club last night, called on the NRL to hold a proper hearing.

"To get a hearing, that would be fair," Riolo said. "He is disappointed, he is very disappointed especially about the way the incident has come across."

Riolo said Gallen deserved the chance to defend himself and present his version of events, rather than be slapped with a breach notice before an inquiry.

He said Gallen had spoken to Paea and it was now "all sweet between the players".

The disciplinary action cost Gallen any chance of captaining NSW. He was named in the Blues' starting side for next week's State of Origin opener despite carrying a shoulder injury. Paea, 23, of Tongan heritage, complained to the referee during Saturday night's match, won 26-4 by the Dragons, that Gallen made the racist remark but he refused to make a formal complaint when pressed. The Sharks, facing a series of crises on other fronts, and the Dragons refused to take the matter further.

Gallen had claimed after the game that his choice of words were "nothing".

"He stepped on my hand and I objected to it. There was a bit of push and shove. It was nothing. It was a tough game of footy," Gallen said after the match.

Gallop said Gallen had made an apology for his on-field comments. "While the apology is certainly an important step in the right direction, there needs to be a clear recognition that racial vilification is not tolerated in rugby league," Gallop said.

"This is not something that happens on a regular basis and it is not something that can be dismissed under the guise of, 'what happens on the field stays on the field'.

"I respect the fact that Mickey Paea has dealt with the issue 'one to one' and that he wishes to move on.

"However, the area of racial vilification is also something that is bigger than two individuals: it involves a principle that we must support across all areas of the game.

"I don't believe racism is a part of rugby league and I don't suggest that these sort of comments represent a racist view, but I do believe that it is important everyone knows there are boundaries that simply can't be crossed.

"Excuses such as 'the heat of the moment' or gamesmanship when they are offered simply don't change that fact."

Former NRL players Anthony Mundine and Sonny Bill Williams addressed the issue yesterday, saying the NRL was not doing enough to stamp out racism.

"[Perpetrators] need to be banned for so many matches, they need to pay a hefty fine and need to go to racial vilification course or do something to understand how brutal that can be mentally," Mundine said.

Williams, of Samoan heritage, said: "Polynesians as a whole are quiet, shy people. That's why there needs to be more emphasis from the NRL … where they step in and say 'you don't need to say anything, you are shy, we will do something'."

Williams said victims of a head-high tackle didn't have to make a formal complaint, "and this [incident] is a lot more serious than that [head high tackle] - it [racial vilification] has been going on for years and definitely something should be done about it."

SHEER GALL: THE TROUBLED TIMES OF PAUL GALLEN

2003: Sent off for a high shot on Knights utility Sean Rudder.

2004: Involved in a fight with Tigers prop John Skandalis, which the NRL judiciary ruled was instigated and carried on by Gallen. Suspended for two weeks.

2007: Accused of taking a dive following a high shot from Richie Williams in a match against the Dragons. After going down, Gallen rises and winks at the opposition. Gallen then puts a high shot on Ben Creagh and says days later: "We've got a motto here at the Sharks: do whatever it takes to win. That's what I've always done. We won the game. That's all I care about."

2007: Three weeks later, is suspended for one week for a high tackle on Warriors winger Patrick Ah Van.

2007: Involved in an on-field fight with Queensland players during State of Origin III after putting a high shot on Maroons forward Tonie Carroll.

2007: Banned for one match for head-butting Roosters forward Shane Shackleton.

2007: Involved in a fist-fight with teammate Reece Williams at the home of fellow player Dustin Cooper after a drinking session.

2008: In round three, Gallen tries to rip open the stitching on a head wound of opposite Anthony Laffranchi. Gold Coast centre Josh Graham accuses Gallen of grabbing his testicles during the same match, although the allegation was not proved.

2008: Slaps the head of Eels prop Josh Cordoba while he was lying unconscious on the ground.

2008: NSW Origin fans react angrily after Gallen gives away three crucial penalties in the series decider, with Queensland winning.

2009: Forced to apologise and fined $10,000 after allegedly racially abusing Dragons forward Mickey Paea.

spider

Coach
magnum said:
When contacted by the Herald last night, Gallen made a tacky comment and hung up.
lol - tacky comment, not rude, just tacky

Geez she is scrapping the bowl now

LazyDreamer

Bench
Back to the point of the thread. Gallen called Paea a 'black merkin'. Paea blows up (and can non-black people please stop with the "harden up" comments - Mickey's reaction says it all about how hurtful "black merkin' is for black people). When the ref asks for an official on-filed complaint, Paea takes the time to consider it, but decides against it for the good of the game. After fulltime Gallen & Paea came together & it really looked like what happened on the field would stay on the field. Paea has said sod-all about it since.

The main thing is that audio doesn't pick up what Gallen said (although lip-reading footy fans lit up Foxtel's switchboard with complaints on Saturday night). Paea doesn't want the incident to go any further due to the body-blows the game's already taken this year.

Yet the NRL steps in & fines Gallen? This makes a mockery of Mickey's decision to not complain, and a mockery of the fact they came together after the game & there was no longer an issue between them.

The NRL would have to be the biggest joke in sporting administration.

Last edited by a moderator:

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/leaguehq/articles/2009/05/25/1243103475490.html

so will we see natural justice? Maybe just maybe he didn't say what Paea initially accused him of or more importantly what Paea thinks he heard.

Gallen's manager, David Riolo, who met with the player at the Sharks Leagues Club last night, called on the NRL to hold a proper hearing.

"To get a hearing, that would be fair," Riolo said. "He is disappointed, he is very disappointed especially about the way the incident has come across."

Riolo said Gallen deserved the chance to defend himself and present his version of events, rather than be slapped with a breach notice before an inquiry

So Gallen is happy to put himself on trial. To give evidence before some form of tribunal, submit himself to any cross examination the nrl might see fit to throw at him and likewise have his accuser have his say and be equally willing to respond to questions from Gallen's counsel.

Lets take into account this occured on a football field, a big crowd roaring, refs (we have two and a linesman who are often far from reticent to put in their two bobs worth) shouting instructions and various players yelling at each other.

Does anyone, like me, think there may be a chance of a doubt about what was actually said? That maybe, just maybe Paea is mistaken. That when you raise the spectre of 'racism' every man and his dog jumps on the vilification bandwagon?

That the NRL must be seen to be stamping this 'blot on our game' out?

David Gallop I implore you to give Gallen his day in court!

The Dodger

First Grade
here it looks like gallen was ready to fire up, Paea looks like he was shiiting brick here lol

gallenvspaea.jpg

The main thing is that audio doesn't pick up what Gallen said (although lip-reading footy fans lit up Foxtel's switchboard with complaints on Saturday night).

haha

is that their profession or do they just do it as a hobby?

would they have happened to all be stgeorge fans?
actually considering the amount of boots our club has copped by other teams fans, that question is irrelevant?

So Gallen is happy to put himself on trial. To give evidence before some form of tribunal, submit himself to any cross examination the nrl might see fit to throw at him and likewise have his accuser have his say and be equally willing to respond to questions from Gallen's counsel.

If gallen did say something along the lines of what people assume he has said, then there is no case. he is guilty. end of matter.

if they find thats not what he did say, then the NRL is going to look pretty poor with their "trial by media" style of judicating these matters.

if for some reason gallen retaliated to an alleged bite or intentiaonal stamp on his hand (or even both), then does paea get done for biting?
will this even be looked at?
will people shone the light on paea for doing something like this?

or will he be called a hero because gallen and cronulla are the evil of the nrl?

i wonder if any of these questions will be brought up.