What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What fish do ya'll eat?

Freshwater...Yellowbelly,but nothing over 3/4 kg(start getting fatty).
Saltwater...Barra ,but not farmed ,got to be wild,or Mangrove Jack,damm nice fish.

firechild

First Grade
Saltwater...Barra ,but not farmed ,got to be wild,or Mangrove Jack,damm nice fish.

Farmed barra are interesting (and taste like arse). In aquaculture they refer to a feed conversion ratio which is the quantity of food required to produce 1kg of weight in the fish. For many fish this ratio is around 1.5 or thereabouts (tuna are around 6) which means there is about 0.5kg of waste per kg of fish produced. In barramundi, they've got the ratio down to 0.9. That means for every 900g of food they put into a barra system, they produce 1kg of fish, the remaining 100g is water. The consequence of this is that farmed barra pretty much do not shit while they are grown from fingerlings to a size that sees them end up on your plate.

Fire

First Grade
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The old codger is a character, that's for sure.

Concerning the no milk, he reckons as humans we are stupid because we are the only creature alive who still drinks it after coming off the breast. He reckons if you have to drink milk, drink goat's milk, not cow milk. The molecules in cow milk are too large as cows are born at 40kg, so we don't absorb them. Goat's on the other hand are born at a similar weight to us, so the molecules are the same size. Nonetheless, he is fair dinkum against milk.

I've sent him a text asking about all the foods we should and should not eat, so will post when he replies.

In my opinion, he's a character like I said. Some of the advice is pretty good, some of it he is fair dinkum off his head.

firechild

First Grade
Concerning the no milk, he reckons as humans we are stupid because we are the only creature alive who still drinks it after coming off the breast. He reckons if you have to drink milk, drink goat's milk, not cow milk. The molecules in cow milk are too large as cows are born at 40kg, so we don't absorb them. Goat's on the other hand are born at a similar weight to us, so the molecules are the same size. Nonetheless, he is fair dinkum against milk.

Hilarious. How does he figure that bigger animals have bigger molecules in their milk? The bloke clearly knows less than nothing about chemistry. There are slight differences between cow and goat milk but that is due to composition and not molecule size.

Fire

First Grade
Hilarious. How does he figure that bigger animals have bigger molecules in their milk? The bloke clearly knows less than nothing about chemistry. There are slight differences between cow and goat milk but that is due to composition and not molecule size.

Haha like I said he is a character.

I don't agree with everything he says (I don't even have the qualifications to).

But the funny thing is, this dude was actually part of Kostya Tszyu's camp for a long period of time. I know this for a fact. So the old fella must know a thing or two (even if he is way off the mark on other things).

BDR

First Grade
:lol: molecules? there are plenty of reasons to avoid milk but none that are based on molecular geometry

HevyDevy

Coach
What a geniused thing to say. Common names are just that - common. The family Panuliridae are commonly known as rock lobsters or spiny lobsters.

Yeah I thought that sounded a little bizarre.

That said, who needs lobster when you can have Moreton Bay Bugs for a fraction of the price ...

Thomas

First Grade
We don't even get lobster in Aust, it's crayfish.

We don't get lobster except for the time we get lobster. :crazy:

Anyway, I eat canned tuna a lot but the fresh fish I enjoy the most are white flesh fish like snapper, Mangrove Jack and flathead. Nothing beats catching our own fish and eating it within hours. Whole baked Thai-style snapper cooked on the BBQ is a winner.

The best fish I have ever eaten was a few years ago with a mate. We were fishing for longtail tuna (northern blue-fin) in Moreton Bay. He caught a 10kg one and, after gettign a few pictures, he bled it overboard and started slicing chunks out of it. Then he produced a bottle of soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger and we sat, in the middle of the ocean, eating raw tuna. Delicious.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We don't get lobster except for the time we get lobster. :crazy:

Anyway, I eat canned tuna a lot but the fresh fish I enjoy the most are white flesh fish like snapper, Mangrove Jack and flathead. Nothing beats catching our own fish and eating it within hours. Whole baked Thai-style snapper cooked on the BBQ is a winner.

The best fish I have ever eaten was a few years ago with a mate. We were fishing for longtail tuna (northern blue-fin) in Moreton Bay. He caught a 10kg one and, after gettign a few pictures, he bled it overboard and started slicing chunks out of it. Then he produced a bottle of soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger and we sat, in the middle of the ocean, eating raw tuna. Delicious.

A couple of years ago I worked on a commercial tuna boat off South Australia catching live juvenile bluefin for the farms in Port Lincoln. Of course we took a few for eating for ourselves, and we had a stash of good soy, wasabi and pickled ginger there just for the purpose. Awesome stuff. I will say though that for the purpose of sashimi I actually reckon it's at its absolute best if you bleed it, fillet it, cryovac it and put it straight into the freezer for a day or two- a brief period of freezing breaks down some of the connective fibres in the meat which makes the raw tuna really melt in your mouth.
Another thing I do when I go fishing with mates is I'll take a little tupperware container out with some chopped onion, coriander, salt, pepper and chilli in it, plus a few limes- as soon as we get a decent fish we'll fillet it out, chop the meat up, put it into the container with the onions and chill and squeeze the juice from the limes into it. Bung the lid on and chuck it in the esky to marinate for an hour or so, and you've got the freshest ever ceviche for your lunch, amazing stuff.

DoggiesBroke

Juniors
Sustainably fished sardines from the bay shared by France & Spain. It's good stuff.

Love salmon but won't go near it often as a lot of it is farmed. There is a wholefoods store that gets an in season supply from pristine Canadian waters. Gotta try that sometime.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
^Whats your issue with farmed salmon? The stuff from Tassie and NZ is still pretty awesome IMO. Fish farming is necessary if we're going to sustain fish stocks into the future, no way we can meet demand any other way (and some species like tuna are pretty marginal even when farmed due to the amount of pilchards needed to keep them fed)

One of the things I miss from New Zealand is the mussels. Their green Mussels are huge and cheap. Here in Melbourne the only mussels I've seen are like a miniature version with bugger all in the shell.

HevyDevy

Coach
A couple of years ago I worked on a commercial tuna boat off South Australia catching live juvenile bluefin for the farms in Port Lincoln. Of course we took a few for eating for ourselves, and we had a stash of good soy, wasabi and pickled ginger there just for the purpose. Awesome stuff. I will say though that for the purpose of sashimi I actually reckon it's at its absolute best if you bleed it, fillet it, cryovac it and put it straight into the freezer for a day or two- a brief period of freezing breaks down some of the connective fibres in the meat which makes the raw tuna really melt in your mouth.
Another thing I do when I go fishing with mates is I'll take a little tupperware container out with some chopped onion, coriander, salt, pepper and chilli in it, plus a few limes- as soon as we get a decent fish we'll fillet it out, chop the meat up, put it into the container with the onions and chill and squeeze the juice from the limes into it. Bung the lid on and chuck it in the esky to marinate for an hour or so, and you've got the freshest ever ceviche for your lunch, amazing stuff.

f**k that sounds good.

GuardDog

Juniors
I like most fish.Mostly eat red spot whiting,snapper,canned tuna and salmon(when budget allows).I also love prawns and lobster but I have to watch my cholesterol level :(

HevyDevy

Coach
It's been a while since I've been fishing but back in the days when I used to spend my summers in Port Macquarie there was nothing tastier than freshly caught whiting and flathead.