What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Sydney clubs should be replaced by expansion teams.

Grumpy Old Man

Juniors
manly - out
At this point in time we have no other teams north of the harbour bridge so why would you want to alienate such a large portion of league supporters.
If the bears set up a franchise on the central coast it will only be a matter of a decade or less until it loses it's affiliation with North Sydney.
People want to support clubs within proximity that's why league is so tribal.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Thank you Ridders. The Dragons and Wests Tigers should never be asked to merge, as we have done our bit. I'm not a fan of mergers as the only reason two clubs merge is that one or both clubs can't financially survive long term and have no choice to merge.

It may be good for the NRL however, it causes problems for the two teams. There will always be a group of supports that will never accept and embrace the new club, which is fair and there will always be different opinions within club management on the best way to go forward.

When Saints merged I was a disappointed however, we are now the Dragons and I follow the team as one.

I would have lost my passion with rugby league if the Saints merged with any other club other than the Steelers and if the Dragons ever change the Red V I would not watch club rugby league thus, I don't think to many clubs will merge.

Relocation is the only way to reduce the number of teams in Sydney and the only way those clubs can be accepted is to move to a state that has no rugby league presence.
Your one of the few who speaks sense.

innsaneink

Referee
At this point in time we have no other teams north of the harbour bridge so why would you want to alienate such a large portion of league supporters.
If the bears set up a franchise on the central coast it will only be a matter of a decade or less until it loses it's affiliation with North Sydney.
People want to support clubs within proximity that's why league is so tribal.
manly have no support and the piddling that do dont travel...they do nought for the game

Teddyboy

First Grade
manly have no support and the piddling that do dont travel...they do nought for the game
They might do nought in your eyes but this year they got the same sized crowds as Penrith and got bigger crowds then the Sharks,Roosters as well as most of Souths and Parramatta's games.
The North Shore/Northern Beaches need a NRL team.

Loudstrat

Coach
Listen you krunt despite Sky tv ratings the Super League is still a small fish in a big bond when it comes to attendances and national recognition and Union is pissing all over it in crowds and media.
Australia needs less Football codes and less Sydney teams if League wants to get out and do one over the silly AFL code.Just because Parramatta v Bulldogs got a great crowd of 75000 yet looking at most of Parra's crowds they where bloody poor.
their worst crowd was a sh*tload better than they got in Adelaide.

They might do nought in your eyes but this year they got the same sized crowds as Penrith and got bigger crowds then the Sharks,Roosters as well as most of Souths and Parramatta's games.
The North Shore/Northern Beaches need a NRL team.
Yet you'd punt them? Pommy twat.

Ulysseus

Bench
Merge Bulldogs and Dragons ) = St George Bulldogs. There's 4 less teams.

I don't think you have thought this through mate.
Junior development?
Both the Dogs and Dragons pump a few out, if the two teams were merged then both of those clubs would just be supplying every other bastard.

Plus I don't think the fans would get on board, bitter in fighting and violent brawls galore.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I don't think you have thought this through mate.
Junior development?
Both the Dogs and Dragons pump a few out, if the two teams were merged then both of those clubs would just be supplying every other bastard.

Plus I don't think the fans would get on board, bitter in fighting and violent brawls galore.

Dont listen to him, they guy thinks "hmmm to save the game, we need to kill part of it."

Feej

First Grade
Let me answer this question in the way that everybody else does...

1. Any team but mine
2. Any team but mine
3. Any team but mine
4. Any team but mine

bobmar28

Bench
:lol::lol::lol: St George Bulldogs, are you on crack???

Probably not a good choice, given the tradition surrounding the Dragons.
My point is I am willing to accept a merger of my team to improve the game. 9 in Sydney is just too many.

Talanexor

Juniors
I'm all for cutting the number of Sydney teams on the basis of financial viability. the broncos have a city of almost 2 million and only one club to support, whereas Sydney has double the population but NINE times as many clubs to support. Thats why there's all this rubbish about leagues clubs grants and property redevelopment - the problem is that the market is just overcrowded.

Having said that, just about all the Sydney sides would have a fit if any of their clubs were cut. And I don't want two separate conferences - I live in Sydney and I'd never get to see my Cowboys play!

I can't see why we can't just lift the number of teams in the competition. We have 26 normal rounds in the comp now - instead of just playing the same teams two or three times, we have more teams that only play each other once.

And yes, there is the issue with finding enough quality players to put a competitive team together - but at the moment players are being poached by ESL, Yawnion and now AFL!

I would put in a new team every 3-4 years until we have a 20-team comp. I would also give them a slight salary cap advantage, to be gradually scaled back over 5-10 years to assist in attracting enough talented players for them to be competitive until their own local juniors start to come through.

If you introduce a whole bunch of new teams at once, there won't be enough decent players, but if you introduce them gradually, one-by-one, there shouldn't be too many issues.

Perth is ripe for the taking - there are so many QLD/NSW expats over their due to the mining boom already, we should be expanding there in the next couple of years.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Increased presence and viewership in NZ leading to larger media deals across the Tasman; increased junior base in NZ leading to a stronger national team and thus a stronger and more financially lucrative international product; a rival/partner to help strengthen the Warriors' place in the NZ sporting market, increasing their value to the competition.

Wellington has a population of under 400,000, where The Blacktown (right between Parra and Penrith) council area in Sydney has a population of 800,000.

So stop talking about all these tiny, meaningless places to place a league team.
After watching my kids getting belted by giant kiwis playing in the Penrith juniors I bet there are more kiwis playing here than ever played in wellington.

All you hillbillys leave Sydney alone, its fine how it is.

big boppa eel

Juniors
3 NRL teams would smash 2 AFL teams in Sydney.
Mate you are the only Sydney fan that goes on and on and on and on about merging sydney clubs, Im sure you live interstate, shut the f**k up and support the Sydney clubs instead of death riding, go away.

Latest posts