What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will it take?

Knightmare

Coach
I'm happy to keep in tune with the games/ team news/ the NRL in general, so long as:

a) The team plays at (or near) the best of their ability when you take into account the squad and circumstances,
b) They are given a fair opportunity to win

It's that second point that's turning me off the game of late. The Broncos, Roosters and Bulldogs can sign whoever they like. There is virtually a whole group of elite players that are only available to 5 clubs (the above named, plus Souths and the Storm). Then there's the players the rest get. Then there's players the Knights get. And I feel like even if this club saw the emergence of a new generation that rivalled our best 17 from 1988 to the end of the reign of Mick Mini-Bus, they'd only get snatched away by a handful of Sydney clubs or the Broncos while the NRL turned a blind-eye to it. As if they'd give a shit about a traditional Rugby League heartland being gouged when they can continue to appease the select few clubs with the biggest membership bases, sponsorship and TPA deals....

Not only that, but there's also the vicious circle this team is unable to break out of, much of it beyond their control. It goes like this:

People say Knights can't win a game "because they suck">>> Panellists on NRL shows and punters tip against the Knights, home or away, "because they suck">>> Match officials turn up expecting Knights to lose, home or away, because they usually lose, "because they suck">>> 50/50 calls go against the Knights 9 times out of 10, match officials subconsciously assuming the Knights are at fault because they can't win a game (and if Newcastle are leading or challenging for the lead then they must be doing a poor job of officiating)>>> Knights lose>>> People say Knights can't win a game "because they suck" etc etc

It would take this club folding for me to stop backing them, but I find it hard to justify investing my time or money in following this team when it seems like the organising body only cares about the time and money invested by those who follow The Big 5- and ensuring that they never have more than 1 poor season in a row. I love Rugby League as a game, but the NRL increasingly look like a corrupt boys' club who only care about the revenue from the consumers (sorry, the fans) who make the most $$$ for the NRL, keep subscribing to Foxtel, buying team merchandise and memberships, going to games and waving their official NRL (TM) club flag like a good consumer (sorry, PASSIONATE FAN)...

I mean f**k, the NRL knows full well that if the Broncos ever had 3 consecutive seasons like what we're going through, Superleague would have already been re-born and Queensland would have seceded from the rest of Australia by now...as far as the NRL is concerned, we are just like the Steelers, Magpies and Seagulls- except we've got coal and were responsible for producing one of Channel 9's panellists...

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
Stick solid Knights fans. Stick with Nathan Brown....those players definitely play for him and bust a gut every week. The key will be some very astute player signings to give your blokes some help. I think the signings of Sio and Buhrer have been very good.
Forget buying big stars for now...look for blokes who want an opportunity. Pass the Forans, Dugans and Scotts.....go for the Connor Watson's, Nat Butchers and Angus Creightons of the NRL.

perverse

Referee
Ahh ok. I do agree.

Imagine Graham complementing Sione and Saifiti next year...
I don't want to imagine it until it's actually happening. Too much disappointment.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Pauli can do this year. The injury has really set him back unfortunately, but it sounds like he's been going well and starting to play big minutes in Cup.

Swarzey

Bench
The idea of Graham leading our pack is too much to be excited about when the possibility seems pretty low; almost hurts to think about it now.

Bloke would do wonders for the club.

Glendale

Juniors
The idea of Graham leading our pack is too much to be excited about when the possibility seems pretty low; almost hurts to think about it now.

Bloke would do wonders for the club.

Yeah. I don't like bagging Starling cause he's on about 100k and he has a go every week. But he really is the weakness of the pack. The young boys lead themselves out there, they really are doing a brilliant job in the circumstances.

Replace Starling with any sort of forward leader, Id even settle for Tolman, and we are really in business. It's been noticeable the effect that just Buhrer has had on them so far. And he's not even a top liner by any stretch.

Spot On

Coach
Dan was seriously belting it up after Starling hit the line and evaporated backwards into the dust. I mean, f**king big performance from Dan today with that in mind. Imagine the metres he'd plough through taking the second hit up after say a Matt Scott type of prop and if his side was continually on a roll! FFS. Awesome.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Dan was seriously belting it up after Starling hit the line and evaporated backwards into the dust. I mean, f**king big performance from Dan today with that in mind. Imagine the metres he'd plough through taking the second hit up after say a Matt Scott type of prop and if his side was continually on a roll! FFS. Awesome.

Saifiti's potential is certainly up there with taumololo and Fifita, he may even be better. I was sceptical at the start of the year, but his last month has me back on the wagon. We just have to get Jacob up to the same standard.

I think brown is exactly the coach we need to challenge saifiti to continue to develop.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I'd like to see Petero continue to work with them as well from a Fiji perspective. Clearly likes both kids and knows a thing or 2 about the engine room.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
To be fair to Starling, the first hit up is always the hardest. The opposition always aim up and look to put a shot on and poor old Starlo is taking the belting

Spot On

Coach
To be fair to Starling, the first hit up is always the hardest. The opposition always aim up and look to put a shot on and poor old Starlo is taking the belting

Very true. A bit harsh comparing him to Scott et all but was more pointing out that the line wasnt being bent at all before Dan got the second shot.

Knight76

Juniors

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Graham would have been nice but I'll take Tolman at a pinch too

Someone who can take a hit up and not get dominated is all we need

Pedge1971

First Grade
Rumour us Penrith will make a big play for Cronk. If they do I would chase Sikaleti and another of their bug young fwds.

Not sure what he has done wrong but Sikaleti is a beast and absolutely tore us up in the middle when we played earlier in the year.