What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do we call time?

Noise

Coach
Well we have plenty of spots open for 2019. That offers a huge opportunity for a turnaround.

Utility: Gutherson (25), Salmon, Smith, Takairangi (30)
Fullback: French (23)
W/C: Hoffman (31), M.Jennings (31)
Half: Moses (25), Norman (28)
Hooker: -
Edge forward: Ma'u (31), Moeroa (24)
Tight forward: Alvaro (26), Brown, Evans, Mannah (31)

Assume you add Paulo, Akafoulau, Mahoney, Stone. Niukore will probably be re-signed.

Player managers are already cautious about sending their players to Parra. Finishing at the bottom of the table is going to make it that much harder to sign quality at a decent price.

Gronk

Staff member
Player managers are already cautious about sending their players to Parra. Finishing at the bottom of the table is going to make it that much harder to sign quality at a decent price.
Source ? Otherwise state it as your opinion or a guess.

Bazal

Post Whore
How does he turn it around? It’s obvious him trying to replicate Bellamy isn’t working. Signing journeymen and rejects isn’t the answer. His two biggest signings turned out to be a disaster, thankfully it didn’t hurt us the following years. Is it his lack of blooding juniors that’s the problem? With one of the biggest junior leagues in the country, should he be doing what Penrith do?

Has he been signing journeymen because he only wants journeymen?

Or has he been signing them because:

(A) We have been about as attractive as an anal wart on Susan Boyle to players for a while now and
(B) Our salary cap, until 2017, was such an utter mess that we were cheating because of stupid payments to players no longer at the club and plodders like Daniel Harrison

?

I think he's demonstrated the desire to sign big names. Foran obviously didn't work out but this forum was almost to a man stoked when he did sign. Paulo is a big name. Klemmer is a big name (and we have made enquiries in the past and allegedly are again). We made an offer to Paul Vaughan who is certainly not a journeyman and had him all but signed until the Dragons doubled our offer. Jarryd Hayne might well be past his best but he is not a journeyman. Michael Jennings is not a journeyman.

Noise

Coach
Did you miss the 3 years before this one where the Tigers were rebuilding?

The biggest part of their rebuild happened last year. A huge turnover of players thanks to the new coach that have all played first grade this year.

Rochow
Reynolds
Fonua
McQueen
Benji
Brooks (re-signed)
Packer
Thompson
Lolohea
Matalino

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We going to wait a 3 year rebuild like the knights?

Or better yet reset now like the Tigers did.
Considering we won 29 games in the past two years I’d say we’re in a better place than the Knights or Tigers were.

Half our squad is off contract (though mostly backups). And then eleven more are off contract next year. We only have two top 17 players contracted for 2020, and 12 (top 17 players) contracted for 2019. So there’s room to bring five merkins into the top 17 next year, including hooker, prop and wing. If Takairangi plays second row there is a centre spot available too.

strider

Post Whore
The biggest part of their rebuild happened last year. A huge turnover of players thanks to the new coach that have all played first grade this year.

Rochow
Reynolds
Fonua
McQueen
Benji
Brooks (re-signed)
Packer
Thompson
Lolohea
Matalino
Cleary inherited the easiest rebuild ever ... all the hard work had already been done manouvering to a position where all the $ eating players wanted to be elsewhere

Bazal

Post Whore

Rochow
Reynolds
Fonua
McQueen
Benji
Brooks (re-signed)
Packer
Thompson
Lolohea
Matalino

Actually I'd suggest the biggest part of the rebuild happened in 2014/15 when they sacked and replaced their entire board....Cleary has then been able to take advantage of the stuff done in the interim, as well as the cap space created by losing three of their best players.

strider

Post Whore
Tbh robbie farrah should take responsibility ... he made everyone disgruntled and then got punted himself .... job done

Bazal

Post Whore
Tbh robbie farrah should take responsibility ... he made everyone disgruntled and then got punted himself .... job done

"Yeah, I knew the Tigers needed a change so I instigated all this stuff and made it happen..."

I think that would suit Wobbie down to the ground, tbh

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cleary inherited the easiest rebuild ever ... all the hard work had already been done manouvering to a position where all the $ eating players wanted to be elsewhere
Not only that but they were off contract too. Even if they wanted to stay he didn't have to keep them. When Arthur took over here there was still two years of Hayne and Sandow on the books.

hindy111

Post Whore
The Knights and Tigers say Hi.

Parra will always attract big names due to clubs history and location. And the new stadium. NRL want and need Parra to be doing well.

Parra is quite central so players anywhere in Sydney wouldnt have to relocate. It isnt far enough west to stop guys from living on the beaches.

hindy111

Post Whore

Rochow
Reynolds
Fonua
McQueen
Benji
Brooks (re-signed)
Packer
Thompson
Lolohea
Matalino

What do you reckon they paid Mcqueen. He sits in NSW cup most the time with Lolohea.
I see a bunch of guys on maybe last chance and desperate. I do not see much class or a whole lot to build a top 4 team around. I see a tough team who will slowly slide down the ladder and not play finals. And a team who in 2019 will go backwards not forward.
Buy into the Cleary thing all you like. Im not convinced yet. Heack if wasnt for poor finishing Panthers put 30 on them other night.

hindy111

Post Whore
Pou you commented the coach has to do what he did.

Brown was patient with purchases and went hard for young talent. If I was club manager id buy into Browns plan. If Cleary come up to me and said I want to pay 600k+ for Big ben, Packer,Reynolds and then go for Lolohea and Thompson id want to know the long term plan.

I see guys who will make you better but nothing that will give long term hope.

Ponga, Watson are potential long term stars along with Pierce I see far better purchases. I see 3 guys you can build a team around rather then just trying to build a bits and piece squad like the Tigers have done.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Rochow
Reynolds
Fonua
McQueen
Benji
Brooks (re-signed)
Packer
Thompson
Lolohea
Matalino

Well doesn’t this post contradict the opinion our rebuild will take 3 years?

Don’t we also have the ability to turn over a fair chuck of our squad?