What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where it went wrong 2023

Frenzy.

Immortal
Katoa was our best winger this year, he should have been nominated ahead of Mulitalo.

Also we expect far too much from our wingers. We make them hit it up like prop forwards coming out of our 20m zone - it's surprising they have the energy to score any tries at all.
Can't agree with this. All the top sides use their back 5 the same way. It's pretty much a blueprint for the modern game of checkers. I used say it was chess. No more, it's boring old checkers.

txta2

Bench
As I see it Penrith are like the Brazil and Argentina of the NRL, there junior base is by far the best in the country. This is why they will continue to play in Grand Finals.
so basically the Sharks arent winning a comp for a long time.

Chimp

Bench
so basically the Sharks arent winning a comp for a long time.
For me, whilst the size of the nursery is clearly a benefit, ultimately, it’s what you do in terms of development of the cream of the crop from the nursery that matters - a bigger nursery just increases your chances of finding some good ones.
Penrith are dominating because of the systems and development programmes they have in place - their juniors are coming into grade fitter, faster, stronger and with better basic catch/pass/tackle skills than many established NRL players at other clubs.
They are then also coming into an established and well polished system, with very specific requirements from them as an individual and playing alongside other high quality players - Penrith have got the whole system right, that’s why they’re reaping the rewards, and I doubt a smaller nursery would have that much impact on them now that the fundamentals are in place. Bigger nursery just improves their odds.

carinashark

First Grade
This sums it up.
‘They are then also coming into an established and well polished system, with very specific requirements from them as an individual and playing alongside other high quality players - Penrith have got the whole system right, that’s why they’re reaping the rewards, and I doubt a smaller nursery would have that much impact on them now that the fundamentals are in place. Bigger nursery just improves their odds.’

txta2

Bench
Well they need to get their act together, play with a bit of more mongrel
Bit more speed, skill and development
For me, whilst the size of the nursery is clearly a benefit, ultimately, it’s what you do in terms of development of the cream of the crop from the nursery that matters - a bigger nursery just increases your chances of finding some good ones.
Penrith are dominating because of the systems and development programmes they have in place - their juniors are coming into grade fitter, faster, stronger and with better basic catch/pass/tackle skills than many established NRL players at other clubs.
They are then also coming into an established and well polished system, with very specific requirements from them as an individual and playing alongside other high quality players - Penrith have got the whole system right, that’s why they’re reaping the rewards, and I doubt a smaller nursery would have that much impact on them now that the fundamentals are in place. Bigger nursery just improves their odds.
Same goes for Broncos. Notice how the big clubs don't stuff around when they are going shit. They cut a heap of players and quickly developed a squad in only seasons. Meanwhile the Sharks are sticking with the Jets winning squad

DJDL

Bench
Surely they don’t go short here
Wrong thread apparently...

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Immortal
Absolutely woeful, but they turned it around fast. Sharks seem to be pretty happy with squad and sitting mid table
Not as fast as the Sharks

Wooden Spoon 2014 - Premiership 2016

Broncs got the Wooden Spoon 2020 - Collapsed in a screaming heap in a Grand Final 3 years later

shadowboxer

First Grade
Not as fast as the Sharks

Wooden Spoon 2014 - Premiership 2016

Broncs got the Wooden Spoon 2020 - Collapsed in a screaming heap in a Grand Final 3 years later
Harsh but fair.
The coach inspires nothing more than the glory days of the donkeys. The fact that Alfie is still running the water says plenty.
XXXX forever

Latest posts