What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where should the NRL relocate the Raiders?

boonboon

Juniors
I'd relocate them to Doonside as its a serious step up in culture, living quality and things to do than Canberra.

The only people that think Canberra is a good place to live is a few of the chromosome short people that live there, and half of them would love to leave, the rest of Australia and Sydney thinks its a boring hole in the ground full of drop kicks, who in their right mind would want to live in Canberra.

At least most of the people that live in Parra admit its a shit hole, while the people in Canberra are living in serious denial..

Your an idiot but you are from the worst place in Australia Western Sydney even other people in Sydney the same city think its horrible. Canberra is about a 1000 times better then most of Sydney and I live in Sydney

thorson1987

Coach
?? People become members to support their team, and show they are a true fan.

Telling people not to be members of a NRL club should be a bannable offence on LU.

Unfortunately, it may be the only way Raiders fans can get a say in the club.

Paullyboy

Coach
?? People become members to support their team, and show they are a true fan.

Telling people not to be members of a NRL club should be a bannable offence on LU.

If your team is very wealthy (not many teams fit this bill, I'll give you that) then paying $60 or whatever it is for a cap and a sticker is just ridiculous unless you get some sort of voting right or something.

Being a raiders member just lines the pockets of the people who are holding the supporters to ransom.

What other benefit (other than financial for the club) does being a member seriously bring? I'd love to hear it justified.

Paullyboy

Coach
I should re-clarify: if your club is in financial strife then I completely understand being a member.

nick87

Coach
Im a member because i want to support my club, i feel it's my duty as a fan, and frankly $260 for 12 home games is $21 per game, i get to most home games... it would cost me $30+ at the gate, any attendance over 8 and i'm losing money

Talanexor

Juniors
The Raiders are in dire need of a cleanout, specifically at the top.

Get rid of Furner and his old boys club and bring in some newer, younger management.

Todd Greenberg would have been perfect.

Then, either go all out for a big-name coach (Bennett, Hasler, Bellamy) or sign a rookie coach and give him 2 years and an open chequebook.

Like a few other posters have said, there are plenty of talented fringe first graders who are stuck behind more established players at their current club. Sign them. Even if you pay overs for them, it doesn't matter. Get them on 1-2 year contracts and it'll really shake things up.

There are plenty of other clubs that have the same problem - awesome junior nursery, but all the kids leave for the big smoke as soon as they start to look like they could be something special.

The Cowboys had the same problem until we paid overs for Thurston, and after that we were able to sign decent players based on the opportunity to play alongside him. We're still crap at identifying and keeping the best local juniors.

Newcastle are in the same boat, and to a lesser extent, so are the Warriors.

Had Terry Campese not had such a horror run with injury, things might have turned out very, very differently.

gypsy

Bench
Maybe, in the interest of consistency, they should be relocated to wherever the Cannons, Comets and Cosmos are now.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Looks like the Raiders have turned their attention to fringe/forgotten players. Moga and Gardner both mentioned and both would get very good pick ups IMO. Raiders need depth and experience (as long as they're performing) to help their youngsters come through and fulfil their potential.

2. Lee
3. Croker
4. Wighton
7. Cornish
8. Vaughan
12. Papalli
13. Fensom

14. Boyd

Those are the absolute must keeps from the current starters. Campese, McCrone, Shillington, Robinson, Tupou need to go ASAP for starters. White will/should retire. TLL will move on. The Raiders have a lot of room to move within their squad and guys like Moga/Gardner would add a bit to their squad.

Raiders fans would know the quality of their juniors better than he so could probably fill in some of those gaps.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
There are plenty of other clubs that have the same problem - awesome junior nursery, but all the kids leave for the big smoke as soon as they start to look like they could be something special.

The Cowboys had the same problem until we paid overs for Thurston, and after that we were able to sign decent players based on the opportunity to play alongside him. We're still crap at identifying and keeping the best local juniors.

Had Terry Campese not had such a horror run with injury, things might have turned out very, very differently.

How are the Warriors in the same boat? Aside from the issue of not being capable of keeping everyone they've done a pretty good job of keeping the ones they wanted and have lost very few they were desperate to keep.

Green River Eel

Juniors
Your an idiot but you are from the worst place in Australia Western Sydney even other people in Sydney the same city think its horrible. Canberra is about a 1000 times better then most of Sydney and I live in Sydney

LOL I live in Eastern Sydney dopey......

Mate Canberra is a hole, who would choose Canberra over any part of sydney apart from the west? its a no brainer, actually id rather take the west than canberra, canberra is where people go to die..... Could one live in a more boring place on earth?

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
Mate Canberra is a hole, who would choise Canberra over any part of sydney apart from the west? its a no brainer, actually id rather take the west than canberra, canberra is where people go to die.....
It's also a good place to go to get a high paying, cushy job at your expense.

sydraider

First Grade
Every player targeted in this so called recruitment were those who didnt want to leave, apart from ennis

It reads like this

Tedesco "Damn I might win a comp if I stay with Brooks"

Mansour "Damn I might win a comp If I stay with the Panthers"

Proctor "Missus is due in july bro, we dont know anyone in the berra bro, Ill stay close to Tohu he is my cuzzie"

Ennis "Screw taking an extra 50k and leave Oatley"

Basically the crux of it.

Raiders should be targeting players who are not getting a run at their respective club but are first graders, Im sure their are a few who would like the oppurtunity, they might only stay for 3 years but you never know.

Canard

Immortal
The Raiders are in dire need of a cleanout, specifically at the top.

Get rid of Furner and his old boys club and bring in some newer, younger management.

Todd Greenberg would have been perfect.

Then, either go all out for a big-name coach (Bennett, Hasler, Bellamy) or sign a rookie coach and give him 2 years and an open chequebook.

Like a few other posters have said, there are plenty of talented fringe first graders who are stuck behind more established players at their current club. Sign them. Even if you pay overs for them, it doesn't matter. Get them on 1-2 year contracts and it'll really shake things up.

Nice theory that is full of holes.

Namely, the Raiders have easily out performed the Cowboys in the Thurston era. The current side has at least 5 juniors in it, and no big stars have signed with the Cowboys in years. (Unless you include Tate, who most thought was a has been)

nick87

Coach
Looks like the Raiders have turned their attention to fringe/forgotten players. Moga and Gardner both mentioned and both would get very good pick ups IMO. Raiders need depth and experience (as long as they're performing) to help their youngsters come through and fulfil their potential.

2. Lee
3. Croker
4. Wighton
7. Cornish
8. Vaughan
12. Papalli
13. Fensom

14. Boyd

Those are the absolute must keeps from the current starters. Campese, McCrone, Shillington, Robinson, Tupou need to go ASAP for starters. White will/should retire. TLL will move on. The Raiders have a lot of room to move within their squad and guys like Moga/Gardner would add a bit to their squad.

Raiders fans would know the quality of their juniors better than he so could probably fill in some of those gaps.

There isnt a great deal tbh, we're in a bit of a lull, which is understandable given the ridiculous talent we've had in the last couple of years

Mago, Pangai, Batemen are all good young back row talents. Heffernan is a quality backs talent. Brenko Lee could be anything or nothing, pending fitness and dedication.
Other than that, it's guys like Ahearn, Hawkins and Cronin who's upside are probably solid NRL FGers

Noname36

First Grade
What do you mean by rewarded? Why shouldn't they be allowed to choose where they work?

The OP was saying that the NRL should relocate the Raiders because they're such a rabble. In my opinion if they're such a rabble they shouldn't be rewarded for it by being relocated to somewhere nicer than Canberra. They should be forced to stay there.

mongoose

Coach
Watch the Raiders scrape into the 8 again, that would be utterly hilarious to be honest.

I don't think the world is ending just yet. This club bought some decent players not too long ago in Shillington, Ferguson and White so there are talented players who will make the move to Canberra. The problem is the club is looking desperate at the moment and there is no bigger turn off than desperation. Also I do worry that players from other clubs are starting to have a negative view of Ricky Stuart and simply don't want to be coached by him and if that's the case the Raiders need to terminate his contract immediately.

The playing group need to just ignore all the negative media right now and just get on with the season. If they act like their success hinges on signing these players then the wheels will fall off in a big way and we can look forward to more 54 - 12 scorelines in 2014.