What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which nations would you like to see make the rlwc2017?

Which nations would you like to see in the rlwc2017?

• Ireland

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Russia

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Wales

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Serbia

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Spain

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Italy

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jim_57

Staff member
Interesting that nobody has voted Italy (I didn't either). Fair enough things haven't been ideal there with the split and heritage players.. but I for one would love to see one day RL crack the Italian market. One way to progress that would be to have them in the World Cup and a TV deal, then follow it up with a high profile International in Italy in 2018. Probably wishful thinking.

deal.with.it

Juniors
The annoying thing is that so many nations didn't capitalise on the wc13. We'll be saying the same about wc17 and what each nation could/should do.

Yea it's money. But i fear that many nations dont get guidance for talking to governments and schools, apying for grants, approaching sponsors etc.
and so nations dont progress as far and quickly as they could.

This post is turning into a rant, but we need rlif money and staff.

jim_57

Staff member
The annoying thing is that so many nations didn't capitalise on the wc13. We'll be saying the same about wc17 and what each nation could/should do.

Yea it's money. But i fear that many nations dont get guidance for talking to governments and schools, apying for grants, approaching sponsors etc.
and so nations dont progress as far and quickly as they could.

This post is turning into a rant, but we need rlif money and staff.

This ×1000.

It seems nobody in the sport knows how to capitalize on events. Scotland in the 4 Nations is a major example, seems no effort is being made to use the situation to help advance the game in Scotland.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Scotland hosting one game in glasgow and distributing thousands of flyers for juniors to play the game would have been great. The RFL cut their funding and are happy to make money through scotland playing matches in england. I really do fear that scotland doesn't have the right people in charge. They are a recognised sport by Sport Scotland but get less money than sports like table tennis.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Seems obvious to a lot with Serbia and Spain too different nations to the last World Cup. I like to see them both there but I picked Ireland cause of my heritage and I feel they can get a good following assuming they would be Euro 2 which means they would play in PNG, Perth and Cairns. As for Spain well Ive been hearing good things about them, and a lot of people have shown a lot of interest in building the game over there. I don't think they can go through but Id like to see them in a World Cup in the near future..

deluded pom?

Coach
Scotland hosting one game in glasgow and distributing thousands of flyers for juniors to play the game would have been great. The RFL cut their funding and are happy to make money through scotland playing matches in england. I really do fear that scotland doesn't have the right people in charge. They are a recognised sport by Sport Scotland but get less money than sports like table tennis.

Australia and New Zealand won't have had any input into the 4N venues would they?

jim_57

Staff member
Saw elsewhere the Opacic from the Broncos and a couple other NRL juniors are confirmed for Serbia for the qualifiers. Ti be honest I don't mind Serbia going down the route of looking for a handful of heritage players to compete, I think it would be worthwhile if they make the WC.

Maybe they can take advantage of the rules and snare the Trobojevic (?) brothers to really be contenders.