What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are you most disappointed with?

Meth

Staff member
Some of our players are trying, but just aren't that good.

Which players have really under delivered on their ability/potential in 2017.

Rank 5-

For me-

1- Foran- I know, his body is shot and his heart is in Sydney blah blah blah...but we've seen glimpses of the spine we paid for and that makes his continual making up of the numbers all the more frustrating.

2- Kata- Made huge progress last year. Was a blockbusting weapon on attack (albeit a centre who couldn't set up his outside man) and had become capable enough on defence. Came back this year with a haircut and has regressed in every facet.

3- Hoffman- Like Foran, just looks like a bloke who's turning up for a pay cheque. I thought these hard-nosed Aussies don't do that?

4- Luke- I'm still of the opinion that when he's looking to run, we look 10x better. I don't think he's been as bad as some do, but he hasn't been the live wire rake we signed him to be.

Those 4 are the 4 that I am most pissed off with. 5th was the hardest for me...

5- Tuivasa-Sheck In a team that desperately needs some direction, leadership and spark, he is arguably the guy most liable for the absence of each of these, particularly over recent weeks.

Warriorsoul

Juniors
My biggest disappointment is that guy CNK. I mean he scored a bunch of tries in a couple of games, then its been like he's not even there.

Joking aside, I was gutted when we signed Kearney, but I gave him benefit of the doubt at first, because it had been a few years since the Eels and surely he'd improved since then. Unfortunately, yeah. And a lot of player regression has to be due to his lack of ability as a coach. There's no other realistic explanation for how much a group has gone backwards. I think he set the standard early on when he set this year up as "not about winning but progress". That's a losers attitude right there and it tells your players you don't believe in them

Doesn't excuse some lack of effort as you say though from some....

JJ

Immortal
In defence of RTS, he should never have been made captain, that was a ridiculous decision - Hoffman or Mannering were the options

But agree - most disappointed in Doyle I think, Foran and Kearney are the two poorest decisions I can recall - Foran was a risk, but IMO not one worth taking given the baggage, the injuries and the development of Hingano and Lino has been stopped (which now they seem to be citing as the excuse when it was their strategy and in reality it's experienced players who he's picked every week that are letting them down!?!?!?!?), and Kearney was just a stupid stupid stupid appointment, more stupid even than extending McFadden for no reason, and appointing Elliott - not quite as stupid as McLennan, but that's only because that decision had the additional component of shafting Cleary - Kearney is in the annals of shittest head coaches the NRL has ever seen - unfortunately he's keeping company with Kemp - wow, we set the bar high

Rich102

Staff member
What's Kearney's winning percentage now?
He going to have to have a massive winning streak to get to 50% by the time he retires.

Blair

Coach
Manu.

He went up in a puff of smoke. Not completely unexpected but still saddened me.

I did see his last game, in that underwhelming venue at Blacktown. It was intimate though, so close that you could have a conversation with him during breaks in play. He was last into the sheds too, perhaps he knew something about his future there.

We got towelled up that day though.

Mooks' comments about our reserve grade not being good enough finished me off with him. Those Warriors are good, real good. "The best", they might reply.

Feel free to post one of those 'I see what you did there' replies, for those who know.

vvvrulz

Coach
5. Hoffman - Wrath. Clearly angry when he was skipper he was genuinely trying to make things work here, but those days are gone now and he's already long packed his bags. Disappointing from what should be a professional; should be seeing it out with dignity but instead stood and pouted.
4. Luke - Gluttony. Came here fat and happy and is quite content to dish out more of the same until his days are done. Luckily for him, we have a culture that backs that attitude.
3. Thompson - Sloth. Probably epitomises what a Warriors performance is, about 10 mins of enthusiasm before dropsies, stupid penalties and finally clocking off and letting guys run through him.
2. Kata - Greed. A highlights reel of his season would comprise of dying with the football without advantage and being so far out of position there isn't even time for a tackle attempt.
1. Foran - Pride. Came here and earned the easiest paycheck of his life to limp around the paddock before his time at the Doggies.

All five are automatic selections under Kearney.

All five are disgusting.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Gubb, Afoa, Hoffman, Vete, Kata, Foran, Luke, RTS all I have found to be disappointing.

Ranking them would be based on how I feel at the time as theres so many things to think about.

However the TRUE ranked number one disappointment is how we've performed as a team after so much promise.

Last edited:

spear tackle

Juniors
Myself- for bothering to tune in every week to watch the garbage dished up all this year in the false hope we'll turn a corner.

JJ

Immortal
Out of interest (overall NRL coaching careers):

Bellamy 67.6%
Bennett 62.1%

Monie 55.7%
Anderson 52.8%
Cleary 47.0%
Elliott 45.7%
McFadden 43.3%
Endacott 39.4%
McLennan 36.4%
Graham 36.0%
Kemp 35.1%

Kearney 27%

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/competitions/nrl/coaches.html
If Tony Kemp can do a better job than you then there's something wrong

Daniel Anderson has flaws, but was a seriously good coach, and of course took what was a rabble under Kearney to the Grand Final - and is far and away our best coach ever

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If Tony Kemp can do a better job than you then there's something wrong

Daniel Anderson has flaws, but was a seriously good coach, and of course took what was a rabble under Kearney to the Grand Final - and is far and away our best coach ever

:oops:

How? I can't see how any part of his record stacks up that way. Good coach, definitely. Better than Ivan? Dunno how you could spin that.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm the most disappointed with Jim. And I think I would've said that before his horrible 'we lose by less' comment. Not sure.

Blair

Coach
I'm the most disappointed with Jim. And I think I would've said that before his horrible 'we lose by less' comment. Not sure.

Jim 'less is more' Doyle.

Just on Elmer, this time last year we were sweating on the result of Titans v Panthers at Robina, the Titans lost by a last-minute field-goal. The result went our way, the way to break our finals duck was clear: win our last two games at home.

It was a much more exciting season.

ozbash

Referee
Can't really say I've been dissapointed with players ( ok, a bit pissed off with Issac and Foran ).

The coaching staff has really upset me, love to know why probably the best coach we had on the books this year (McNamara ) said haere ra.
Kearney, fantastic player and all round GC is not a coaches arsehole.
Stace ????
Iro is like a cancer as far as I'm concerned.. he should be cut and thrown away..

Latest posts