What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the QLD Cup's next team?

langpark

First Grade
Mackay are entering next year from wat i heard.

In the next 5 years, i presonally would like to see a PNG and Mt Isa team also enter

miccle

Bench
Yeah Mackay will definitely be the next one in.

After that, I'd love to see some representation from the Sunny Coast (further north than Redcliffe of course) and Mt Isa or possibly even up around Cairns.

All just depends on money and the amount of talent in the areas though.

Tigertread

Juniors
MT Isa have no chance, they havn't even got enough money or players to compete in the Foley Shield

langpark

First Grade
I forgot all about the Sunny Coast, that'd be a great spot.

Wat do you guys think of a PNG side tho?

Striker

Juniors
I read something about a Mackay side earlier in the year, would then be a derby match for the comets. I wounder if they would be a feeder to the Cowboys too.

miccle

Bench
IMO a PNG side just wouldn't work. Think about the travelling etc. that they and other teams would have to do, not to mention the security issues around playing in the area.

Would be great to see, but won't happen.

langpark

First Grade
Wat if a sponsorship deal could be struck with Qantas that would allow every team free flights for their games? Security isn't that big of an issue, how many PNG peasants (no offence by that) would be prepared to take on 20 footy players?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
langpark said:
Wat if a sponsorship deal could be struck with Qantas that would allow every team free flights for their games? Security isn't that big of an issue, how many PNG peasants (no offence by that) would be prepared to take on 20 footy players?

With due respect, why in the world would Qantas be interested in sponsoring the Queensland Cup ? I'm certain they could get more value for their dollar elsewhere.

BatiFan

Juniors
Mackay will be the next team admitted into the QLD Cup, hopefully in 2007. After that I would personally like to see Sunshine Coast Falcons and Western Districts Panthers take the step up from the FOGS Cup in 2008. I know personally that PNG are intent on getting a team back in the QLD Cup, so expect them after the 2008 World Cup. Cairns would be the only other team needed to make a truly Statewide league. Finance will be the only restriction on all this expansion.

realredhillboy

Juniors
we allready have one n.s.w side [tweeds] i'd like to see newtown or north sydney enter eventually. a second national comp would be good

langpark

First Grade
realredhillboy said:
we allready have one n.s.w side [tweeds] i'd like to see newtown or north sydney enter eventually. a second national comp would be good
f*** that!

mightybears

Bench
prediction:
wests districts panthers
mackay
sunshine coast
in the order

wouldn't rule out the red hill mob getting aspley over the line, especially if they ditch the clydesdales

png would be great, but a snowflakes chance in hell
and mt isa would also require someone rich throwing money away re returns

bender

Juniors
realredhillboy said:

I think it would be far better if NSW got their own state competition going properly and the Grand Final was followed by a playoff between Qld Cup Champions, NSW Champions, Bartercard Cup Champions and SP Cup Champions. I think that if a weekly foxtel show covered highlights of these 4 competions like NRL on Fox, it would be massively successful. In the long term, i think that Perth, NT, (Qld Cup) Victoria, Tasmania (NSW Cup) and Pacific Islands (NZ or SP Cup) could all be realistic expansion targets in the long term and I think the competitions could be sustainable long term.

bjm8

Juniors
A 2nd Toowoomba team, one that is not a bastardised Broncos reserve grade side.