What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will move to the Gold Coast?

Which team looks the most likely?

• The Gold Coast Sea Eagles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Gold Coast Eels

• The Gold Coast Bulldogs

• The Gold Coast Panthers

• The Gold Coast Tigers

• Total voters

Anonymous

Juniors
As has been reported several times throughout the year, the Gold Coast mob are approaching clubs in Sydney to re-locate up north.

Word is that the NRL will be handing out a wad ofcash to the team that moves to the beach and bikini capital of Australia.

Eight clubs have been approached and apparently two have shown an interest to make the move in 2006.

Well the syndicate are in town... who will be the club that take the carrot?

Green Eye

Juniors
I didn't see the option of the Gold Coast Dragons.... :wink:

Seriously though...

I doubt any team will re-locate. Maybe the sharks will but I think it would have to be a huge monetary incentive involved. Sharkies have a bad taste in their mouths from not winning a premiership and I think that will be the difference between them being a sydney club or a GC club.

Perhaps the change of scenery will make them believe that they can actually win some.

Anonymous

Juniors
Green Eye said:
I didn't see the option of the Gold Coast Dragons.... :wink:

quote]

As far as I know, there were 8 teams approached and the deal with the NRL is that is has to be a current Sydney team. There are 7 there and I put the Roosters in but the poll wouldn't accept the 8th choice.

The only reason why the Dragons weren't approach (I assume) is because of the JV.

El, same again. The NRL said it has to be a Sydney team. Plus Melbourne have already indicated that they are not interested as Ribot de Bra-stalker has said nasty things about the Gold Coast and how its in the Bronco's backyard etc.

Green Eye

Juniors
I was just kidding willow... (should have put a :D instead of a :wink: ) I think the dragons won't be moving anywhere.

ozbash

Referee
couldnt the gold coast support a team of its right-- the seagulls ?

if it is to be a sydney team (and i,m buggered if i know why sydney teams get priority) then maybe the G.C Bears .

Anonymous

Juniors
Green Eye said:
I was just kidding willow... (should have put a :D instead of a :wink: ) I think the dragons won't be moving anywhere.
Mate ifI had my way, it'd be the Gold Coast Raiders. Aslong they don't bring the pollies with them, I'm all for it. :wink:

Anonymous

Juniors
ozbash said:
couldnt the gold coast support a team of its right-- the seagulls ?

if it is to be a sydney team (and i,m buggered if i know why sydney teams get priority) then maybe the G.C Bears .

Probably, but its the general view that they've had their chances and getting a Sydney team to relocate is the only offer on the table.

This being backed up by the fact that the NRL wants less teams in Sydney.

I wish the NSWRL thought that way in 1967. :evil:

btw, Sydney teams havent been getting priority treatment for over 20 years. If they did, we'd still have the Sydney Premiership.

Green Eye

Juniors
The GC could have a team of it's own...

I hear the gold coast meter maids are looking for a new career :D

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
LOL :lol:
But alas they did not, and little brother is still annoying.LOL
The sharks on the Gold Coast - at least they would be closer for me, what happens to Sutherland juniors?
There has to be less Sydney teams.

Anonymous

Juniors
Mr Angry said:
LOL :lol:
But alas they did not, and little brother is still annoying.LOL
The sharks on the Gold Coast - at least they would be closer for me, what happens to Sutherland juniors?
There has to be less Sydney teams.

The speed hump between St George and the Illawarra was the single most disastrous decision the NSWRL ever made. Being the most unsuccessful club in the history of the premiership is testimony enough.

Buuuuut... given that we now have the NRL, the trend is to cut more Sydney teams and and thats the way its heading... I'd welcome the Sharks on the Gold Coast.

They can keep their Sutherland juniors as a feeder - that is until they are absorbed by the Dragons.

And they keep their swamp as a business centre with Elle McPherson and Leanne Edelstein as board members...

salivor

First Grade
Souths seem the logical option for me as currently their only heading to extinction where they are.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well I want to see the Rabbits and the Sharks merge, Freeing up a licence for the Gold Coast to use. Of course Souths will have none of it. Southern Sydney Sharks, I think I am the sole supporter of this idea. Can't have Sutherland Juniors playing in Red and White.

Anonymous

Juniors
Bt Matt Starkey
League Unlimited
29 May 2003

Manly boss Ian Thomson has thrown his support behind a consortium bidding to base a National Rugby League team on the Gold Coast from 2006.

Gold Coast syndicate head Paul Broughton and bid accountant Michael Searle made a presentation to Thomson following Tuesday's pitch to the NRL.

Thomson says the tourist strip is the ideal base for a 16th NRL team, with no competition from other major football codes. He says the Gold Coast bid should be high on the NRL's priority list for a stand-alone licence, ahead of Gosford and Wellington.

ozbash

Referee
blowed if i know but i would like to see a true G/Coast team. burliegh/tweed heads seaguls ?

if a sydney team relocates, it gives them an unfair advantage,, they have already stuffed it up in sydney, crowd fgures etc etc etc. why should they be given another shot at it. they are just as likely to mis-manage their team up in the coast.

the warriors are in the comp only by the skin of their teeth after the fiasco of 99.
what would the aussies think of the Gold Coast warriors ??

were the gold coast seaguls a product of super league ?

Anonymous

Juniors
Gold Coast were an ARL team. When the NRL came along, the GC were given the flick and the Broncos were given all of SE Qld.

"if a sydney team relocates, it gives them an unfair advantage,, they have already stuffed it up in sydney"

I agree if that team is Cronulla becuase they've done nothing in 36 years.
But can't agree if its Souths. Recent history aside, they been around since 1908 and have won the most premierships. I wouldn't call that stuffing up.

ozzie

Bench
Willow said:
Gold Coast were an ARL team. When the NRL came along, the GC were given the flick and the Broncos were given all of SE Qld.

"if a sydney team relocates, it gives them an unfair advantage,, they have already stuffed it up in sydney"

I agree if that team is Cronulla becuase they've done nothing in 36 years.
But can't agree if its Souths. Recent history aside, they been around since 1908 and have won the most premierships. I wouldn't call that stuffing up.

well I have to disagree - their crowds are dropping off again - their board keeps blowing it and they cannot attract the top players and after this year it will be a long time before they do again.

Their leagues club is not making a profit and even though their sponsorship is good how will they remain financial??

I can't see them surviving in their current location whithout the support of a viable leagues club behind them..

I think they would be a great team for the South Coast - they have a large supporter base who don't go to the footy and are well supported in the country. maybe these people will get to the games. Think of Souths with the support of the Gold Coast club behind them. They could become the force they used to be..but haven't been since adam wore a jockstrap!

Latest posts