What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you guys always choke?

Jack_Napier

Staff member
It's actually a little concerning how we perform in big games since we won the comp in 2013. We did it on the early 00's as well. Would love to put my finger on it but who knows. Tonight was just a case of getting ripped apart by a very very good Brisbane side at home.

gUt

Coach
Good season Roosters. I like the way youse play, you have some excellent youth coming through and although I hate you and lol @ you, good game and see you next year.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Good season Roosters. I like the way youse play, you have some excellent youth coming through and although I hate you and lol @ you, good game and see you next year.

Good luck next week mate, far far too good for us when it mattered most

saint.nick

Coach
Shit Jacko, from Raby all the way to Mt Kuring-Gai...

I'm gonna be serious here...I don't see enough genuine leaders in the team, and I think the club culture is just a bit too cocky (pun kind of intended) and narcissistic. They love being in the media limelight, they love talking to Danny Weidler every week at Clovelly while dripping wet with speedos on, and they love being seen in the Eastern Suburbs cafe and pub scene. God, they even had cameras follow them around while they went on group walkabouts in Brisbane...

The club isn't gritty enough. They've been smashed in two prelims in a row while being the premiership favourites. Your only outlet of grit and leadership is JWH, and that was only emphasised tonight. You did weather a storm early in the dogs game but you're an easily better team than them anyway.

You might not see it the same way but I think being the 'glamour club' comes with its flaws.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Haha me and the mrs moved up here back in July mate. One side of Sydney to the other.

I agree we don't have too many leaders around the club. We lost a tonne of experience and leadership last year with Mini and SBW going so that was always going to be an issue IMO. Pearce just doesn't have that quality about him IMO.

Not sure I share your narcissistic sentiments either, I doubt our players are actively seeking out the media for the interviews. last 2 seasons we have paid the price for not being mentally strong enough in the opening game of the finals. Compare the last 2 seasons opening finals games to the 4-0 game against manly in 2013, it's absolute night and day stuff. I hoped we had learnt a lesson this season but it wasn't to be.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I think part of it is just having such a high standard that it falls apart when you don't reach that standard, if that makes sense.

Three minor premierships in a row is a crazy feat, and come finals everyone wants to have a swing at you. The last two years mind you, the Roosters dropped the first finals game and had to claw their way back, whilst both their prelim opponents had the week off, which is massive.

I can somewhat agree on the leadership thing too, JWH was missed and imo he should be the captain of the side, no co-captain bullsh*t.

Will be very interesting to see how they go next year, but you've gotta be happy with the effort that came in 2015.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
I think part of it is just having such a high standard that it falls apart when you don't reach that standard, if that makes sense.

Three minor premierships in a row is a crazy feat, and come finals everyone wants to have a swing at you. The last two years mind you, the Roosters dropped the first finals game and had to claw their way back, whilst both their prelim opponents had the week off, which is massive.

I can somewhat agree on the leadership thing too, JWH was missed and imo he should be the captain of the side, no co-captain bullsh*t.

Will be very interesting to see how they go next year, but you've gotta be happy with the effort that came in 2015.

All fair points mate and hard to argue with most of it.

I'm happy with year but again the disappointment is there because of how it ended. We have a slight rebuild on our hands next season as well with half the spine gone. I have no doubts we will be fine with Robbo at the helm.

rabbitohs95

Bench
All fair points mate and hard to argue with most of it.

I'm happy with year but again the disappointment is there because of how it ended. We have a slight rebuild on our hands next season as well with half the spine gone. I have no doubts we will be fine with Robbo at the helm.

Funnily enough this season is a major failure for me. We just never clicked into gear and just got overworked going into the finals. Much like yourselves we have a mini rebuild going on, and much like yourself I have faith in the coach. I look forward to our first encounter next year, hopefully Round 1.

saint.nick

Coach
Perhaps they don't actively seek out the media but I reckon they certainly do enjoy it a lot more than basically every other club.

I reckon you've gone into both week 1 games in the last couple years too cocky, hence why you were underprepared.

It was easier in 2013 when you were striving for the trophy you hadn't won for a while, and had winners like SBW in your team.

adamkungl

Immortal
All bullshit points.

2003 Penrith were just the better team. Minor premiers and well deserved.

2004, we probably should have won but like all GFs, coin toss kind of game.

2010, again, Dragons were well the better side through the year

Note we converted every prelim appearance 2000 02 03 04 10 13 into GFs

The last 2 years...

last year we were simply never gonna win that comp. We finished minor premiers through sheer fluke, because the others choked at the final hurdle, but we never had the hunger all year. It was Souffs comp to win.

This year though. This hurts. Call it a choke if you want. Our two biggest leaders were injured a few weeks out from the finals. Say what you want about Pearce but we never lose to Melbourne if he plays. JWH always makes a difference. But at the same time tonight was just not our night. I'm way more gutted than last year.

drago brelli

Bench
Kenny-Dowell doesn't throw that pass and it would have been a different game. We are down to three Queensland teams now. Oh, and by the way, I thought the Dragons were the 'chokers'.

FlameThrower

Bench
Kenny-Dowell doesn't throw that pass and it would have been a different game. We are down to three Queensland teams now. Oh, and by the way, I thought the Dragons were the 'chokers'.

So a try in first minute cost you the game? What about the other 79 minutes, don't they count? If that was in the reverse with 1 minute to go and game was locked then I would agree, but no way in this case.
btw Dragons didn't choke in 2010....who did we play again?????

Chook

First Grade
Brisbane were the better side, good luck to em. Pity some of their fans are f**ktards.

Chook.

2010Dragons

Bench
I mentioned it before and I'll say it again...
Rorters have massive internal issues.
Source: my mate ex rorters player very close to the current rorters players
News might leak out soon....then i will discuss it and bump this thread.

Latest posts