What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Bob Carr always pro-AFL?

syphon

Juniors
poojar said:
P.S Have been a labour voter all my life, no longer though

love it how supposed die hard labor stalwarts can't seem to spell the party to which their die hard allegiences lie.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
I've never been a fan of pokies in the first place (I really like the song "Blowing up the Pokies"), BUT... a tax isn't the answer

if the pokie tax goes ahead, then the NRL clubs will be forced to take out money from local sports at the grass roots level (as well as other community based organisations).

if you haven't noticed, Australia has a bit of an increasingly worsening obesity epidemic which, if it goes unchecked, will lead to all sorts of medical problems and clog up the hospital system even more.

instead of using increased pokie taxes to increase hospital funding and treat the symptoms, why not let the NRL clubs keep putting money into healthy programs in the community and prevent people from going to hospital in the first place?

poojar

Juniors
syphon said:
poojar said:
P.S Have been a labour voter all my life, no longer though

love it how supposed die hard labor stalwarts can't seem to spell the party to which their die hard allegiences lie.

oops how clever of you, anything else i mispelt champ,
also didnt say i was a diehard labor supporter, and if i had die hard allegiences (there we go, its actually spelt allegiances), i wouldn't be questioning the party now would i?

Alan Shore

First Grade
The answer is gambling education, not reducing pokies. And pokies profits go into the community which ends up being good in the long-run, and it actually helps reduce future gambling. It's a person's choice to gamble and if they do so it's their fault. At least we can monitor it in a safe Leagues Club environment than have dodgy underground setups, because there's no way we can make pokies and gambling addicts disappear overnight.

kingkerry

Juniors
If these clowns like car were fair dinkum they do a lot of things. Why would i support vfl/afl. Do i have some financial intrest does someone have there finger in my rectrode. Why am i concerned with the few poeple who die of herion and i couldnt give a rats arse about the thousands who die from ciggarettes each year. When i clearly Know i could change the laws to make society better for ever ? How much did i get and were did i get it is the catch cry :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Misty Bee

First Grade
Re the increase in fees, I agree, it is a poor call by the Govt. But they are only mirroring what is done at UNiversites under the federal Govt. A lot of Uni grads actually do their equivalent of first year at TAFE - for a huge reduction in cost (I was one of them). Tafe is still cheap (and in some cases) the best education noe could get.

The trouble with the 'we help the community' line from clubs is that they don't necessarily help the community in ALL cases. That's the government's job - and rightly so. Health/gambling education falls on the government. The buck stops there, not with the club board whose main objective might be to pour millions into a poorly performing NRL side that makes a loss.

Look, I fear what this might do to our code, but bugger me, poker machines are a prime example of millions being wasted. When somone pits dolars in a poker machine, is that anything but disposeable money?Why shouldn't the government tap into it to help them fund community necessities?