What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why NZ needs a 2nd team

Iafeta

Referee
nqboy said:
Most would agree that, prima facie, the Wellington bid seems way behind the other two. This is a new wildcard and doesn't it throw a fresh spin on deliberations?

Wellington has:-

An International class (and used Internationally) stadium. Has hosted concerts, ODI cricket matches, All Blacks test matches. Is very modern.

Fans that turn up to watch snow melt; the Hurricanes were atrocious this year but they still got a good crowd.

A big catchment area.

Backing from a Belgian Billionaire.

Where exactly does the bid fall down????

Iafeta

Referee
Front-Rower said:
Its an Australian competition, not an International competition. Why should we allow another NZ team (although I have nothing against NZ) into an Australian competition. You don't see Northern Districts Cricket side from NZ playing in the Pura Cup or Celtic Rangers playing in the English Premier League.

Its time for the NZRL to get its house in order, save some face from previous embarrasments and run a competition that is competitive for New Zealand.

Just then may we get some true pride back into the international scene instead of watching the same players who play NRL for mainly the Warriors and a few other clubs get belted by the Aussies because they exactly know the game plan and how each individual plays the game.

Isn't the NBA the National Basketball Association? That has Canadian teams.

Isn't the NHL the National Hockey League? Does that not have Canadian teams in it?

Its not time for the NZRL to get its house in order, its time for the RLIF, as said above, to get THEIR house in order and enforce the transfer fees that the NZRL has in place.

Razor

Coach
to get THEIR house in order and enforce the transfer fees that the NZRL has in place.

But if they did, the Australian clubs would take them to court. Transfer fees are illegal - restraint of trade. They used to be in the NSWRL competition until the early 80s when a legal battle forced them to be scrapped.

AuckMel

Bench
Front-Rower said:
I bet if Australian rugby union was down and out, New Zealand Rugby Union wouldn't help us out.

If it wasn't for the NZ Union helping the ARU for years, the code would be dead here.

AuckMel

Bench
Razor said:
But if they did, the Australian clubs would take them to court. Transfer fees are illegal - restraint of trade. They used to be in the NSWRL competition until the early 80s when a legal battle forced them to be scrapped.

I hear a draft is illegal too, but the AFL seem to get by just fine with one.

We have a forum here dedicated to bashing AFL, and yet we could learn so much from that code.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Razor said:
to get THEIR house in order and enforce the transfer fees that the NZRL has in place.

Its not a restraint of trade in New Zealand. If the RLIF & NZRL had any balls they wouldn't allow a player to be registered in Australia without payment.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I bet if Australian rugby union was down and out, New Zealand Rugby Union wouldn't help us out.

I believe the NZRFU gave the ARU a number of massive cash injections over the years.

Rieck_Fan

Juniors
I think a second NZ team would do wonders to the game. Give another team for New Zealand youngsters to go to, create some local rivalry etc.

Most would agree that, prima facie, the Wellington bid seems way behind the other two

I heard Gallop say on the radio (can't remember which station) that the Wellington bid was very strong and that it had a Millionaire/Billionaire backer, sponsers sorted out if the team came into the competition and a fine Stadium (the one used by the Hurricanes of course.)

DIEHARD

----
Yea but who is this ficticious billionare? It sounds like a load of crap to me.

I want details!

Iafeta

Referee
Belgian person I believe.

Definitely is a backer; you would not have him in your portfolio bid if he wasn't legit.