What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willing to travel?

How far do you travel to watch your team on a regular basis?

• Under 10km

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between 10-30km

• 30-50km

• 50-150km

• 150-500km

• Total voters

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
After flying up for the Broncos / Storm game I was asked by a number of people.....why?

Why would you travel to watch Storm?

So on the flight back (yes it was boring as hell) I started to wonder if others do, so I pose the questions. (although only one can be a poll)

Do you travel to see your team?

Do you go with a group?

Do you make contact with the home teams support base?

I'd be interested to hear what others do as many times some supporters of the home team have indicated that they wouldn't travel over the bridge (Sydney) if they didn't have too.

t-ba

Post Whore
30-50 clicks.

I used to go to the Neagles Matches on the CC occasionally, which is in 50-100 range.

SP

Bench
i travelled almost 1000km to watch penrith v Newcastle in rd 1 this yr

bazza

Immortal
Travelling to Parramatta Stadium is a fair trip for me - but I try to get to most of Parra's games in Sydney

I went to Melbourne last year to watch the game. It was really an excuse for a trip down there as I didn't have anything on that weekend and I've got a few friends down there

Anonymous

Juniors
When I lived in Sydney the furthest I went to watch the Raiders was Parra. Then I moved to Newcastle but I still watched them play when they played in Sydney (200 or so ks). Now I live in Canberra and I'll be watching them in Sydney and Newcastle so I'm travelling further every year!

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
I just go to all the games between Sydney, Canberra, Newcastle. So travelling as a Raiders fan is the usual thing.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
After flying up for the Broncos / Storm game I was asked by a number of people.....why?

You were asked that SC because your a true passionate Rugbu League fan. Something extremely unfamiliar to most supporters north of the Murray.

A big trip for them is the 15 minute drive up the road to the surburban footy ground for the home game.

The 30-60 min drive to the away game is a massive undertaking. Requires careful planning. Accomodation. That's if they decide to go in the first place. 99% don't.

Big Bunny

Juniors
I try to make an effort to get to a number of games each year, anywhere from about 6-15 for the 7's, Souths, Internationals and whatever else looks good on the RL calendar. Although I never have and never am likely to live in Sydney.

My feeling is that rugby league fans in Sydney are spoiled. Each team has its own ground on its own patch and the fans aren't forced to travel to a central stadium on a regular basis like fans in Melbourne and other cities are. I dare say that if all games in the city were confined to 2-3 stadiums, like Aussie, Stadium Aus or a redeveloped ground out further west, we would see a culture develop where fans have little option but to travel to see their team. It's why the old match of the round fixtures at the SCG used to attract large crowds. Another problem seems to be the weather. Whilst Melbourne does get rain on a lot more days, Sydneys rain fall on the days that it does fall, is considerably higher an therefore a bigger factor.

Canterbury

Juniors
Anybody whos willing to travel away more then 150 k/s to watch there team play away should be commended.

And it's those people that lead by example.. problem is no one takes their lead.

I'm at every canterbury home game and i go to every away game in nsw.

AuckMel

Bench
I travel to watch the Warriors as much as I can (virtually always by car), sadly though, it's just too damn expensive to do it more than 3 times a year.

I get my fill from foxsports and going to the Storms games.

KulaShaker

Juniors
I go to:

Toyota
WIN
Jubilee
EnergyAustralia
Olympic
Campbelltown
Telstra
Parramatta
Aussie
Penrith
Canberra on occasion (too cold sometimes!)

DIEHARD

----
I travel to every game I can. I drive from Brisbane for the internationals and Origins. I visit Sydney at least a couple times a year to see the Rabbitohs play and the Brisbane Broncos as well as any other games of interest I can fit in. At the start of the year I visited Melbourne and went to the Storm fan day and the Newcastle and St George Illawarra game.

I love travelling to see Rugby League games. I'm looking forward to the Anzac Test in Newcastle.

I envy everyone in Sydney who have so many rugby league games to attend. I only have the Broncos at Lang Park. I'm hopefully looking forward to visiting the Gold Coast every fortnight.

skeepe

Immortal
I have to admit we are spoiled in Sydney. I'm only in my third and probably last year of living here, so I'm making the most of it and going to every league match I can afford... not easy when you're a student, despite the cheaper ticket prices at some grounds, as the travelling does take some time when you take a train to Penrith or Campbelltown from the city, where I live.

Go to every game at Aussie and Leichhardt, real close grounds to me, unless of course the Raiders are playing nearby. Rarely travel to Canberra as I simply can't afford to, although if I had a car I may make the trip more often.

Next year when I move back to Canberra I'll have to make do with my one game every two weeks again... it's gonna be hard to get used to after being able to go to at least one quality game a week, something Sydney fans seem to take for granted.

Clevo

Juniors
Stormwarning[c said:
]After flying up for the Broncos / Storm game I was asked by a number of people.....why?

So on the flight back (yes it was boring as hell) I started to wonder if others do, so I pose the questions. (although only one can be a poll)

Do you travel to see your team?

Do you go with a group?

Do you make contact with the home teams support base?

I'd be interested to hear what others do as many times some supporters of the home team have indicated that they wouldn't travel over the bridge (Sydney) if they didn't have too.

Yes,

The Burrow have plans to travel to all interstate games and also Auckland.

Melb is our most favoured trip. The least fave is Auckland but I think that will change this year.

The Burrow tries to organise all the accomodation and everyone booked takes care of their flights. We'll have about 30 going to Melb and about 10 to Auckland.

Over the next couple of years we hopr to build up relations with hotels to get better group discounts for our members.

I reckon we must rank as the most organised independent supporter group in the NRL.

And yes we also try and contact opposition supporter groups...but that depends on history and common goals. In the past we have got together after the game with opposition supporter groups and have a bit of fun.

www.theburrow.com.au

Pigskin

Juniors
I've had a Broncos season ticket since '95.

At the start of 2003 I moved to Toowoomba and confess to probly averaging 10 home games at Suncorp since then. I won't travel to Brisbane now for a Sat 5.30 game vs Manly or equally crap team.

Toowoomba to Suncorp gates is about 2.5 to 3 hours since there is basically no parking outside Suncorp. About 120k.

And I probly attend an Origin every second year or so.

I'd suggest if I lived in Sydney I would probly go to a lot more games ie double headers or any decent match going.

Oink !

Goleel

Juniors
Yeah living in Sydney is great for league, simply because you get to go to all big games, this year I've managed to get along to the double header, the roosters/panthers clash last weekend and the panthers/knights game in round one, just because of the atmosphere. Unfortunately a lot of people don't even get out to their own teams games, I have mates who'll rather watch the big games on TV than get out and support their own side, Roosters and Panthers fans both dogged the grand final rematch, while Tigers and Eels fans went to the game. The TV coverage spoils a lot of people, its just too good.

Personally I'll travel wherever I can for Eels games, Canberra, Woollongong, Newcastle, and all the Sydney games, and probably will make one big road trip per year, to either Melbourne, Brisbane or North Queensland, maybe one day I'll go to Auckland, but our record over there is pretty poor. Looks like it'll be melbourne this year though, should be good fun. I can't say I associate with other supporter groups at away games, i'll have a yarn with the people around me and at the pub after the game, but I don't go out of my way, normally I travel with one or two other people, just as a fun road trip. I'm a bit anti-social, in other words :D

Matt M

Juniors
I try and get to as many Sydney matches as I can, I used to try and get to all Gosford matches too.