What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willow Cup :: Bluebags vs Souths :: Round 2

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Not sure where JM is :crazy:

Can we make it 9pm tmr night? Understand if you're not keen on that.

Monk

Referee
I can fish out the article he mistakenly posted if you wanted to run with that exact copy (you can post by proxy).

byrne_rovelli_fan82 is the player who will be making the extra time post for Souths

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
byrne_rovelli_fan82, for the Bunnies coming in at extra time

~~

The Naked Game!

881123-nathan-hindmarsh.jpg

Nudie Run = the act of one stripping themselves of clothes and sprinting across the ground exposing their flesh for all eyes to see, whether they want to or not. If you’ve never had the chance to see adult nakedness up close, you can count yourself lucky; it is a sight for sore eyes. The best definition I have to reference is the image of the Islander man shredding his last piece of clothing as he clambered onto the ground, escaped the security guards and showed off his assets to the players. That is one true definition of a nudie!

The NRL and one man brought nakedness to a whole new level…

I work hard, I play hard and I play the toughest sport in the world and I’m tough.

Oh shit.

Argh! I didn’t do it! I didn’t touch it!

Nathan Hindmarsh, the now retired Parramatta Eels player has contributed a lot to the game of rugby league. He’s a hard-nosed player, with an oversized ticker, who gave his all every time he stepped out on the field, whether for the Eels, the Blues or Australia. However, besides his work ethic and great play, there is one thing he is most famous for and one thing only.

His butt crack!

In any game at any time there would be hands-on odds for his shorts to be pulled down and his white fleshy cheeks to make their calling card appearance. Jokes aside, ‘The Hindy’ has found its way into League vernacular, representative of this special brand of exhibitionism.

It is a scene not many people would feel comfortable with and for some men it’s rather embarrassing; not so for Mr. Hindmarsh. No, he showed no concern when the shorts slid off his rear end. He simply got on with it and played the ball.

So famous has Hindmarsh’s bum become there are calls to make the statue replica of him to show exactly what he’s become famous for; showing a little crack!

Bum flesh and rugby league go hand-in-hand, as tackling a player requires grabbing onto some body part or other and the jersey and shorts are easy targets. Just grab and pull, as poor old Sharks fullback Nathan Gardner found out a few years ago.

He ran from dummy half while being chased by Jamal Idris. Jamal nabbed him by the short tails and swung him around like a little bag. The shorts came down below his butt cheeks and his bum said HELLO!

Still the nakedness doesn’t stop there. Yesterday it was reported Sharks forward Paul Gallen has agreed with his former coach, Ricky Stuart that if the Eels beat the Sharks this weekend he would walk down the street naked! Let’s hope, for the sanity of all, this doesn’t come to fruition! Regardless of the result, no doubt there will be plenty of Leaguies riding the result of this game, in particular the residents of the Kingsway in Cronulla.

If that’s not enough, don’t forget all clubs and players have a traditional and sacred deal. If a player in the squad has failed to score a try through the course of the entire season they must, absolutely must obey the rule of the nudie run: streak across the ground (thankfully behind closed doors) to the amusement and view of their teammates.
There is one more exposure that cannot be missed, face into bum, as Titans outside back Dominique Peyroux found out when he tackled Storm’s Dane Nielsen dragging him down and Peyroux found his face right in the crack of it.

Sadly not all players are embracing the showcase of a nice bottom, with players now opting to wear tight skins underwear beneath these shorts, so in the case of shorts failure they can still maintain some form of modesty. Billy Slater was one who could have given fans in the front row of AAMI Park a clear view of his nice rear if not for the blockage of red undies! Thankfully fellow teammate, Gareth Widdop, succumbed to the fanfare when his bum popped out in a tackle.

The addition of these skin-tight figure-hugging under garments has not proven a successful initiative against flesh flashing, as the rate of falling shorts have increased instead.

Nonetheless hope is not lost. Rhys Wesser holds the Hindmarsh tradition intact opting not to wear any additional under garments beneath his shorts, giving us the lovely pleasure of seeing his cheeky rear end drop a visit!

5558500.jpg

~~~

746 words between the '~' lines according to official word counter.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Posting by proxy for Jason Maher. A massive shout out goes to Monk's gamesmanship.

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

---

Obstruction of Justice?

What would a new year in Rugby League be without a raging controversy over a rule change? Since the year dot (1895 or 1908, depending on which way the water swirls in your bowl), Rugby League officials have made it their business to tinker with the set of rules that bring some semblance of order to a contest governed otherwise by primal instinct and testosterone. I think most fans would agree the end product has just about always been a better game. Each year, however, we indulge in a little bit of pantomime over the latest rule changes, proclaiming ruin unless things go back to the way they were, or change to reflect our own personal opinion. Of course, by the start of the following year, we've generally accepted and moved on, ready to get worked up again over the next rule change.

In 2013, we've been gifted two major rule changes to get our Reg Grundies in a twist – the banning of the shoulder charge (also known as the fall-back option for players who can't tackle), and the changes to the obstruction rule. Both changes have noticeably altered the way the game has been refereed, and both have attracted much negative comment from players, coaches, fans, and media types. The shoulder charge was the talk of the off-season, but now season 2013 is well and truly rolling along, the obstruction rule has taken centre stage.

There have been two major changes to what officially constitutes an unfair obstruction of the defending team. The first change has been to more strictly enforce the rule that a player cannot run behind his team mates (colloquially known as a “shepherd”). The second change has been that a decoy runner cannot initiate contact with a defending player, even if that player would have been in no position to effect a tackle on the receiver. Both changes can be viewed as an enforcement of the idea common to all brands of football (except Australian Rules) that an attacking player cannot be “offside”. In a Rugby League context, to be offside in an attacking sense is to be in front of the player currently in possession of the football.

Clamping down on the “shepherd” has passed with little comment (no doubt because every man and his dog was calling for the change), but the change to the rule on decoy runners, which has seen several tries disallowed on video review, has replaced the shoulder charge as the rule change most likely to bring about the death of Rugby League. Or, to repeat the pun of the title above, the new rule has been an obstruction of justice, an unfair restriction on attacking play. The second man play as we know it is on the endangered list, and defenders have a new opportunity to milk a penalty and to stop a try other than by defending. The question is, on closer examination, do these contentions carry much weight?

The short answer: not really. The longer answer recalls the point above that one of the fundamentals of Rugby League is that attacking players cannot be offside (in front of the player with the ball). Or, to be more precise, an attacking player who is offside should not in any way affect the play or interfere with the defending team. A player in front of the kicker is not allowed to tackle the receiver, contest the ball, or score a try, unless they have been made onside again by the kicker running past them, or the receiving player carrying the ball at least 10 metres forward. In a similar vein, the new obstruction rule insists that a decoy runner, an offside attacking player, should not initiate any contact with a defending player. In actual fact, the new rule does not go as far as it could. If the defender makes a poor read and actually tackles the decoy runner, no penalty is awarded.

In the end, as with all previous rule changes, there will be a period of adjustment. We will indeed see defending players taking advantage to try and earn a penalty. In the long run, however, teams will adapt. Different plays will be developed, different ways of keeping the defence in two minds. Decoy runners will make sure the defending players can't milk a penalty. And in 5 years time we will be watching an even better version of the Greatest Game of All, wondering what all the fuss was about.

Monk

Referee
Thanks Vic!

Btw - kudos on both Vic and JM for some bloody quality articles. I have no idea who will take the win, best of luck to both sides.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Thanks Vic!

Btw - kudos on both Vic and JM for some bloody quality articles. I have no idea who will take the win, best of luck to both sides.

Depends on which persons brown paper bag NT decides to open :sarcasm:

Great reads all :D

I have been on this for awhile, considering the situation. Add to that, just won $150 at poker. Good night to be had by me and one of these articles. Stay tuned.

byrne_rovelli_fan82
85 points
Points for originality. At times the article went into some very weird directions, but you got your information out well, writing a genuine article about the no-try line.

Jason Maher
84 points
It's a common point of topic that has captivated us all, but the bulk of the article explains the rule in question. Would've loved to see a bit more opinion. Top marks for a great ending, and it's well written.

Bunnies hold on.

Thank you for the two paper bags, I will keep both.

Danish

Referee
As a roosters fan losing by a point in the final throws of a match is bringing back some painful memories....

Congrats to the bunnies, commiserations to my fellow bluebaggers, and thanks to NT for refereeing :D

Only new to this Forum 7s caper but it seems like a pretty high quality affair all round. All articles I've read from my team, our opposition, and in the other match threads are top shelf.

Monk

Referee
Whew what a game, props to the Baggers for the game, some aweosme articles posted and it was deservedly a close match.

Congrats to my Souths lads for giving it their all, awesome job by Soc in only his second F7's game.

Onto the final!

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Whew what a game, props to the Baggers for the game, some aweosme articles posted and it was deservedly a close match.

Congrats to my Souths lads for giving it their all, awesome job by Soc in only his second F7's game.

Onto the final!

Lads?!?!?! Somehow I don't think a guy could do a naked story LOL Just kidding!!! :lol::roll:

Latest posts