What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women's NRL

Eion

First Grade
Ruan Sims pretty much confirmed on 100% Footy that the players requested a smaller competition as they were looking at having games at a similar standard to the Jillaroos and NZ matches. They didn't want the drop off in quality that more teams would create.

It was put directly to her if the players requested 4 teams and she didn't deny it and proceeded to discuss the pro and cons of each team number.

She is not going to bite the hand that’s feeding her. She’s absolutely compromised as an impartial voice on this.

siv

First Grade
Plus they had player contracts in place that assumed they would in the W-NRL squad for Souths and Cronulla

No where has it been written that a draft would occur

Plus there are still many other players required to complete a W-NRL squad

kbw

Bench
Plus they had player contracts in place that assumed they would in the W-NRL squad for Souths and Cronulla

Yes there has. No one would have had a W-NRL contract ratified by the NRL which it would have to be.
The whole premise of the comp is to spread the talent evenly across the teams playing in it.

you cold not be more wrong, everything you said is basically opposite to what is happening and outlined by the NRL at the beginning.

unforgiven

Bench
You don’t thinks it’s likely Ruan etc would want to stay at clubs they are already settled with?

Top 60 players including all Jillaroo and NZ international players are being allocated evenly to each of the participating teams. This is why the relocation costs were so important.

unforgiven

Bench

It has been written in many places that the top 60 players will be evenly spread across the teams, now will this be in the form of a draft, I'm not sure as that has this has not be released yet.

We know there will be a system to draft the top players to clubs. This will balance the talent and prevent a team like Brisbane or the Warriors loading their side with the best Queensland or Kiwi players and blitzing the league.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...g/news-story/4aea574435e7774f5c56917b1645caa3

Oh and it is a draft

The NRL today announced the 40 Australia-based players, 26 with international experience, who will make up the elite squad and whose talent will be divided among the final teams when a draft is held.

Last edited:

Eion

First Grade
Top 60 players including all Jillaroo and NZ international players are being allocated evenly to each of the participating teams. This is why the relocation costs were so important.
Not important enough for Greenberg to list it as a reason for keeping it to 4 teams. That was ‘geographical spread’ remember.

Much easier to spread the talent by stealing it off the 2teams that have actively fostered it. Merkins

Reactions: siv

unforgiven

Bench
Not important enough for Greenberg to list it as a reason for keeping it to 4 teams. That was ‘geographical spread’ remember.

Much easier to spread the talent by stealing it off the 2teams that have actively fostered it. Merkins

So no statement about your comments being factually incorrect? Remember the comment about Souths and Cronulla being the strongest teams so that is why they were not included?

unforgiven

Bench
They are the strongest teams

They were never guaranteed to be the strongest teams, from the time the comp was announced it was reported that the talent would be spread across all teams. I also believe that once the players requested that the comp be restricted to 4 teams Cronulla were long odds to get in as having the Cronulla region represent Sydney in an international comp just wasn't going to work.

The geographical spread argument is a valid argument, as is the wonderful job Cronulla has done is an extremely strong counter argument.

I honestly believe that the Sharks were hard done by when you consider the efforts they have put into women's rugby league, but not every decision that goes against you can be considered a conspiracy. The NRL decided the cons outweighed the pros when considering the Sharks application.

Jamberoo

Juniors
My previous post answered that, they did not want to help fund player relocation. That was the main reason
There are only theee games plus a final. Most players will be from Sydney. Don’t get that relocation is the main issue.

Reactions: siv

Eion

First Grade
And I disagree and submit a 4 team ‘international competition’ is a farce. They should have 6 teams, there is no compelling reason not to. And if you went for less how do the roosters get in instead of sharks or Souths?

And you’re living in fantasy land if you think the players were the casting vote for 4 teams. Ruan herself gave a mealy mouthed middle of the road answer to this saying there were pros and cons to 4,5 or 6 teams. In any event Greenberg has given entirely different bullshit reasons...so why wouldn’t we come up conspiracy theories?

unforgiven

Bench
And I disagree and submit a 4 team ‘international competition’ is a farce. They should have 6 teams, there is no compelling reason not to. And if you went for less how do the roosters get in instead of sharks or Souths?

And you’re living in fantasy land if you think the players were the casting vote for 4 teams. Ruan herself gave a mealy mouthed middle of the road answer to this saying there were pros and cons to 4,5 or 6 teams. In any event Greenberg has given entirely different bullshit reasons...so why wouldn’t we come up conspiracy theories?

It was reported before the teams were even announced that the Jillaroo players had requested the comp be restricted to 4 teams. . The geographical argument is a valid argument, A team called Sydney is much more appealing than one called Cronulla, Not sure why Souths didn't get in but I didn't see the submissions.

As I said, just because things didn't go your way doesn't make it a conspiracy. Of course her answer was middle of the road, she and the other Jillaroos had requested 4 teams only be omitted and then the team that has paid her the last few years misses out. Its not like she can say she agrees with Cronulla missing out.

Eion

First Grade
Oh so now her answer was middle of the road when you posted it in the first place.

It stinks mate and nothing you’re saying is convincing me otherwise

unforgiven

Bench
Oh so now her answer was middle of the road when you posted it in the first place.

It stinks mate and nothing you’re saying is convincing me otherwise
That's because you are emotional and biased about the decision. I'm glad you are passionate enough to feel this strongly. You must be able to see that having a team called Sydney is much more likely to attract the casual female fans this comp should be chasing than a team called Cronulla would be? Sydney is much more inclusive.

This is not about giving you another team to support, its about providing opportunities for female players and creating a new avenue to attract new fans and increase engagement in the game.

I actually don't think her answer is middle of the road, she was asked directly about the players requesting 4 teams and at no point denies this, her answer is also more weighted more towards the 4 team model.

In saying that I believe that Cronulla should have been included due to their history in the women's game, but that doesn't mean that the valid arguements for the other side can be dismissed and wrapped up in conspiracy theories.

What reason could the NRL have for excluding the Sharks? other than those that have been provided.

It definitely wasn't to steal the players or exclude them because they were too strong because that wasn't a consideration as for the purpose of this competition they were not Cronulla players.

Eion

First Grade
If they had of said ‘this will be a 4 team comp’ at the outset it would have been easier to accept - they knew about the talent pool before the tender process after all. If they had of come up with a ‘sydney’ team instead of handing it to the roosters (who objectively have done far less to deserve one) it would be easier to accept. If Greenberg wasn’t an out and out bullshiter with his arrogant dismissals after the event it would have been easier to accept.

This isn’t a case of just meekly accepting the umpires decision mate. It either stinks or is a shambles of a process that has alienated the most passionate that should have been involved. I don’t know if it’s corrupt or incompetent...but it’s one.

T-Boon

Coach
This isn’t a case of just meekly accepting the umpires decision mate. It either stinks or is a shambles of a process that has alienated the most passionate that should have been involved. I don’t know if it’s corrupt or incompetent...but it’s one.

So what are Cronulla going to do about it? Maybe they should organise so sort of protest at the womens state of origin.