What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women's NRL

siv

First Grade
Had my eyes opened today in regards to Cronulla and the WRL.. I always believed they did so much for Women's RL and together with Illawarra were the real vanguards. But no, they aren't. They have never ran a proper comp. Most of their great players came out of illawarra and its all smoke and mirrors.
Illarwarra are streets ahead of them running competitions for many years across many age groups. Cronulla basically ran 1 team.

On the Souths bid that was so strong. out of all the criteria that the NRL outlined were necessary Souths met only 1 and the rest were so far off the mark it was pathetic. Lets also not forget Souths have never done anything for WRL, Redfern All Blacks have done and still do a fantastic jobs but once again Souths proved themselves a joke

What criteria did they fail to meet ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
What criteria did they fail to meet ?

Allegedly refusing to cover relocation costs, though I suspect bigger issue was why would you put St George AND Sharks in, it was one or other froma reach and "look" point of view and St George deliver a metro and regional reach and have equally good women's grass roots RL prgrammes
I suspect if one of the Western Sydney clubs had put their hand up they would have got in ahead of roosters.

Given Sharks commitment to women's RL they should have been in and then a 6th team of affiliated states players funded by NRL called emerging states should have made up the 6th spot and been a pathway for eventual Melbourne and Perth teams to come in. No one can ever accuse the NRL of being visionary!

Of equal worry is why so FEW NRL clubs felt this of value enough to put their hands up? Was it a cost issue or a lack of interest?

kbw

Bench
Just today? Thought you were right across it from every angle from the get go we’re you not?
always ready to find the truth. I was under the opinion that the Sharks had done all they said for WRL
That was the main point of interest that I discovered yesterday.

You must be over the moon learning a whole bunch of new things that you obviously didn't know

kbw

Bench
Allegedly refusing to cover relocation costs, though I suspect bigger issue was why would you put St George AND Sharks in, it was one or other froma reach and "look" point of view and St George deliver a metro and regional reach and have equally good women's grass roots RL prgrammes
I suspect if one of the Western Sydney clubs had put their hand up they would have got in ahead of roosters.

Given Sharks commitment to women's RL they should have been in and then a 6th team of affiliated states players funded by NRL called emerging states should have made up the 6th spot and been a pathway for eventual Melbourne and Perth teams to come in. No one can ever accuse the NRL of being visionary!

Of equal worry is why so FEW NRL clubs felt this of value enough to put their hands up? Was it a cost issue or a lack of interest?

that was the only criteria that I was given details of.
It was easy when it comes down to St George/Illawarra v Cronulla. the Merge has done so much more for WRL by a long way.
I agree a western Sydney team would have been good. I would hope one or two will come in soon as well as Newcastle

Eion

First Grade
always ready to find the truth. I was under the opinion that the Sharks had done all they said for WRL
That was the main point of interest that I discovered yesterday.

You must be over the moon learning a whole bunch of new things that you obviously didn't know
Haha. You were either full of shit with your ‘working with both sides of the submissions’ last time or you’re full of shit now. Either way....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

The Dragons have a much bigger catchment to draw from and the Illawarra has always been a great nursery for women's footy so it made sense, even allowing for Cronulla's great groundwork.

Your suggestion of rewarding the Sharks' commitment then adding a combined #6 team wouldn't have worked. If you have to scrape together the sixth side like that you're doing it wrong and costing the code and its image significantly. Six teams dilutes the talent pool that's there. I think the NRL are being much smarter about this strategically.

As for "why so few NRL clubs put their hands up" - that's not about the value, it was about the timing. Most clubs' budgets would have been sorted for the season and they wouldn't have had money to allocate to it at short notice (not knowing until March for sure in particular).

T-Boon

Coach
As for "why so few NRL clubs put their hands up" - that's not about the value, it was about the timing. Most clubs' budgets would have been sorted for the season and they wouldn't have had money to allocate to it at short notice (not knowing until March for sure in particular).

That is code for they didn't care very much. Don't get the point. I hope it is a massive success and those clubs that couldn't be bothered supporting it fall way behind the others to the point of having to beg for loose change.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That is code for they didn't care very much. Don't get the point. I hope it is a massive success and those clubs that couldn't be bothered supporting it fall way behind the others to the point of having to beg for loose change.
No, that's not what it's code for at all. Most clubs baulked simply weren't in a financial position to.

kbw

Bench
Haha. You were either full of shit with your ‘working with both sides of the submissions’ last time or you’re full of shit now. Either way....

your ignorance is not a reason to think I am full of shit.
There are plenty of other reasons :) but your lack of knowledge was laid bare for all to see

Eion

First Grade
your ignorance is not a reason to think I am full of shit.
There are plenty of other reasons :) but your lack of knowledge was laid bare for all to see
Your pathetic lies was the only thing laid bare. Not many people are small enough to fib about being on the inside for a women’s league tender, but you did.

siv

First Grade
Sorry trying to use geography within Sydney as criteria is not appropriate

It was only meant so teams like Brisbabe and Warriors would be added

The only other excuse is the $50k guarantee. Again not a valid criteria. If the NRL wants a W-NRL comp they need to provide club grants

Last one is talent. There are 40 players contracted to the NRL which would have been split across 6 clubs or about 6-7 players each

That means every club needed to plan and source a additional 14-15 players.

Only Souths, Cronulla, Newcastle, Canterbury, Parramatta and Penrith are the only clubs to have prepared for this

Perth Red

Post Whore
Must have been 120 plus women playing in the womens RLWC plus all the women playing first grade in their own comps around the country, PNG, NZ and PI's. I don't buy they couldn't have found 120 women to make up 6 competitive teams for a few weeks tournament. Heck AFL launched with 8 teams and had hardly anyone to pick from and had to attract other sports athletes. Didn't stop large crowds, tv coverage and big sponsors jumping on board. They'll go to ten teams next year and 14 teams by 2020. AFL clubs are falling over themselves to be included, what a contrast to the NRL club response.

the quality above scale and reach argument is lame. Lack of money being willing to be spent by the NRL and typical small scale thinking are the real issues at play here.

Must have been 120 plus women playing in the womens RLWC plus all the women playing first grade in their own comps around the country, PNG, NZ and PI's. I don't buy they couldn't have found 120 women to make up 6 competitive teams for a few weeks tournament. Heck AFL launched with 8 teams and had hardly anyone to pick from and had to attract other sports athletes. Didn't stop large crowds, tv coverage and big sponsors jumping on board. They'll go to ten teams next year and 14 teams by 2020. AFL clubs are falling over themselves to be included, what a contrast to the NRL club response.

the quality above scale and reach argument is lame. Lack of money being willing to be spent by the NRL and typical small scale thinking are the real issues at play here.
Oh look a pro AFL position. Shock. Horror.

Did I say I agreed with 4 teams you dumb f**k? This twit can't open his mouth without mentioning the AFL and his love for it. Go back to your hole and liking his posts. :joy:

Stallion

First Grade

Yes. Agree with the sentiment. However the AFL is not certainly not the challenge for participants that rugby league is. It was essentially a training run. No wonder people from.other sports could easily play it?It's a well glorified training run. Still agree that the NRL should have given the womens comp a better footing. Wondering if sponsorship is forthcoming?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh look a pro AFL position. Shock. Horror.

Lol, take off the rose tinted rl glasses mate. THe afl have shown us up big time, sucks as with the rep women’s oppprtunities in RL we should be by far leading the way in this space. As it is we look a very pale imitation of the afl women’s comp. just another Greenburg failure to add to the last few years.

Stallion

First Grade
Lol, take off the rose tinted rl glasses mate. THe afl have shown us up big time, sucks as with the rep women’s oppprtunities in RL we should be by far leading the way in this space. As it is we look a very pale imitation of the afl women’s comp. just another Greenburg failure to add to the last few years.

You have misread the comment. AFL has done a very impressive Public relations job for a code that is really a "training run". Do I have to explain every time to you PR?!

'Why would I post about the AFL' and he proves it yet again. :joy::joy::joy:

One trick :horse:

Latest posts