What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World of Warcraft

perverse

Referee
Anybody ever played on a private/legacy server?

All of the WoD drama had me all nostalgic, so I'm in the process of setting up to play a WotLK private server. Will be fun to see the old 51 talent tree, the world pre-Cataclysm etc.

Yep, been playing on a TBC server in Europe with my g/f for a couple of weeks. It's immaculate (besides the lag of course... i generally ping around 300-330 to the server... which is about what i was used to back in the day playing TBC anyway, so it feels normal to me).

There is an aussie based private server - but it's running vanilla wow (pre-expansions). I generally found most of the good, well populated private servers are in Europe unfortunately.

gUt

Coach
Anybody ever played on a private/legacy server?

All of the WoD drama had me all nostalgic, so I'm in the process of setting up to play a WotLK private server. Will be fun to see the old 51 talent tree, the world pre-Cataclysm etc.

Finding a server like that would almost make me want to play again.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm on Dalaran WoW and it's been great so far. People are talking, there's the somewhat annoying/somewhat fun requirement that you wait for respawns/drops etc.

Dinged level 13 last night and I've already found the need to add people to my friend's list. I can't remember the last time I even spoke with somebody who wasn't a real world friend in WoW, so that's been fun. Harkens back to what drew me to the game initially.

I kind of wish there was a way to play the full game with the less social elements removed :lol: Just get rid of LFD/LFR, ignore the talent and leveling overhauls, and have access to the fun content.

Still, this works a treat. Great latency considering I'm in Africa (I'm pinging 150-160) and around 1800 people online during the day.

perverse

Referee
Finding a server like that would almost make me want to play again.
There's a lot of them mate, and a pretty handy reddit thread that catalogues them all if you do a quick google for "wow private server reddit". You can pretty much play any expansion you want.

Honestly, I've been blown away by the quality of most of the private servers I've checked out. The population is much higher than I expected - I'm often competing for mobs in areas while questing, etc. There is a dude who does private server reviews on youtube, too.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
I was surprised by that too. I was expecting the Undead starting zone to be a ghost town, but there's been heaps of people running about.

It's just like the glory days, before they phased all of the content and did away with server unity through cross-realming everything.

alien

Referee
Kill the trash and make WarCraft 4. I'll always hate WoW for taking WarCraft 3's story and locking the conclusion and subsequent storylines behind a subscription paywall.

i remember when warcraft 2: tides of darkness came out! i loved that game! i used to play that and the c&c games alot, along with dune 2

redvscotty

First Grade
I keep getting emails for free trials of 7 days and have been pretty tempted lately. I hear now you can buy subscription time with in game gold too?!

Apey

Staff member
I keep getting emails for free trials of 7 days and have been pretty tempted lately. I hear now you can buy subscription time with in game gold too?!

Wouldn't surprise me, other mmorpgs have a similar system in place. Runescape (hur hur) has bonds, where people pay real money to introduce bonds into the economy, and then people can use ingame currency to buy the bonds and claim them for membership.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Next WoW expansion to be announced August 6th at Gamecon.

Lots of rumours and wishful thinking flying about. Strong contender is a South Seas expansion focused on Azshara, with recent rumblings it could be undead related and set back in the 'real world' of the Eastern Kingdoms.

Always an exciting time for speculative fan fic :lol:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Going hard for the Burning Crusade/Wrath of the Lich King nostalgia in this one:

• Level cap raised to 110
    New continent: Broken Isles. Heavily Night Elf themed.
    Villains: Gul'dan, Azshara, Sargeras, and random evil guys.
    Dalaran is back!
    So is Illidan!
    Artifacts such as Ashbringer, Doomhammer that you obtain through a spec specific quest and then upgrade by selecting powers and aesthetic looks.
    New PvP system that replaces PvP gear with PvP specific skills & talents. Can also trade honour for cosmetic rewards.
    New Hero Class: Demon Hunter. Blood Elf or Night Elf only. Two specs - DPS and tank.
    Introduces class halls - similar to garrisons but shared with all members of your class. 'Champions' can be used to give in-game bonuses.
    Artifact quests require you to revisit famous locations from the game's history.
    Survival is a melee spec again!
    Greater focus on what makes your class important
    9 new dungeons
    2 new raids including a visit to Emerald Dream

HYPE!

Dragon

Coach
Meh, all that fan service screams desperation. I want to be hyped but man i was hoping for something new with the story.

Misanthrope

Staff member
When they went in the new direction with MoP and Cata, people pissed and moaned too. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Dragon

Coach
When they went in the new direction with MoP and Cata, people pissed and moaned too. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

True but wrath was always going to be a hard act to follow. This just feels really uninspired even compared to mists and cata

HowHigh

Coach
All the people I used to play with seemed to have quit so when I bought a month sub a few months back the game just wasn't fun anymore. Playing solo sucks, we used to have a good pvp crew lol.
I'll give it another try closer to the expansion to at least check it out.

redvscotty

First Grade
Hrmmm. Saw the video yesterday and couldn't get hyped.

Burning Crusade was by far my favorite of all the xpacs and I spent most of my game time on it/Wrath but I dunno.

Give Shammies a tanking tree and I'll be back in a heartbeat!