What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wraps/Belts etc.

Snoochies

First Grade
Just wondering at what stage (if ever) are these things needed. The reason I ask is that I am getting PB's for myself and if all goes to plan, Monday week I'll be squatting 150 kg and Benching 100kg and wondering if the belts and wraps assist or is there a stage I should use them for safety reasons? I have seen people squatting less than me in the gym but seem to wear all the gear. Is this more of a show thing or legit?

I'm doing fine with both bench and squat and don't feel like my insides are going to pop out anytime soon. On my deadlift I can lift the weight easy enough but my grip strength seems to give out pretty quick, is this where the wraps would be of benefit or maybe start using chalk?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Cliffhanger

Coach
Never. They will help you lift a little bit more but they promote bad technique, in fact you need to use bad technique in order to get the advantage of lifting with a belt also if you injure yourself whilst wearing a weight belt the injury is worse.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I use straps when doing dead lifts because my grip is weak due to multiple finger dislocations and a broken wrist. Makes a huge difference in the weight I can lift

Using them doesnt promote bad technique in any way because you still have to grip the bar, the straps just shift some of the weight to your wrists/forearm

dogslife

Coach
Same here. I use straps when deadlifting for the same reason, grip becomes an issue when the weight gets high enough. Never used a belt, so I can't say if they're of any benefit. The most you should need while benching would be a pair of weight gloves. I use them occasionally as I tend to get calluses on my hands when I don't

Cliffhanger

Coach
Soft DL! Calluses are great, help your grip and make pullups way less painful on your skin, let's not get started on how they help with climbing. I love my calluses, they look awful though.

dogslife

Coach
Soft DL! Calluses are great, help your grip and make pullups way less painful on your skin, let's not get started on how they help with climbing. I love my calluses, they look awful though.

I think it's long been established that you're more of a man than me. I'm a big skirt, sue me! Beautiful hands though :D

abpanther

Staff member
Yeah I've already got calluses on my hands, I have to take my wedding ring off to train or I get shocking calluses, then I forget to put it back on and my missus tells me off :)

Snoochies

First Grade
Will steer clear of the belt then if there really is no benefit.

Chalk I guess would be the first option before wrist straps.

GuardDog

Juniors
Will steer clear of the belt then if there really is no benefit.

Chalk I guess would be the first option before wrist straps.
no need for belts unless competing at powerlifting comps;chalk would be good if your gym allows it cos mine doesnt but def no straps,grip is a big contributor of strength

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
There is a clear benefit to wearing a belt, knee wraps, wrist wraps if you want to move the heaviest weight that you possibly can. Anyone who suggests that they promote bad form doesn't know what they are talking about. The only thing that promotes bad form is you.

In saying that, using them is a cop out unless you are a competition lifter. If you really want to know what sort of weight you can move than lift raw. I've had 240kg deadlifts, 205kg squats and 150kg bench presses at about 100kg body weight with gear. Now I'm at 85kg and still pull 220kg, squat 180kg and bench 140kg with no gear at all. My personal opinion is not to waste the money.

Cliffhanger

Coach
There is a clear benefit to wearing a belt, knee wraps, wrist wraps if you want to move the heaviest weight that you possibly can. Anyone who suggests that they promote bad form doesn't know what they are talking about. The only thing that promotes bad form is you.

In saying that, using them is a cop out unless you are a competition lifter. If you really want to know what sort of weight you can move than lift raw. I've had 240kg deadlifts, 205kg squats and 150kg bench presses at about 100kg body weight with gear. Now I'm at 85kg and still pull 220kg, squat 180kg and bench 140kg with no gear at all. My personal opinion is not to waste the money.

I don't promote bad form, I promote not being a pussy.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I should add as well, using wrist straps is a cop out. Learn the hook grip and buy some chalk. Yes, when you are learning it will feel like your thumb is being torn off, but deal with it and you'll be stronger for it. The heaviest weight I've ever held was with the hook, not with straps, and anyone who can hook will acknowledge the same.

dogslife

Coach
I don't really think there is a right and wrong in this instance. Not everyone out there, myself included, are going out there to lift as much weight as humanly possible. Different people have different goals, and to suggest there is only one way to do things and all other ways are cop outs is a bit naive I think

dogslife

Coach
I didn't see you trying to make a point other than this is my way and it's the right way. But carry on with your delusions

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Not at all. This thread is about someone wanting to know whether they should attempt a maximal lift with gear or without. You clearly don't lift yourself so perhaps you should have stayed out of the discussion, but if you lift with assistance than, logically, that lift isn't 100% attributable to you. This is why Powerlifting competitions will either be geared or raw. And when geared the level of assistance is always noted.

If someone lifts 150Kg with a belt, knee wraps and a denim suit than they aren't really lifting 150kg. That isn't an opinion or delusion, that is a fact. And if someone simply wants to find out what they can lift than they do so without gear. Without assistance. You'd be one of those characters in the gym who benches with a spotter's hands on the bar from rep 1 through to 10 and then comments to friends that they 'benched xyz for 10 last night'.

So yeah, jog on.

Last edited: