What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWE Battleground Discussion

Misanthrope

Staff member
wwe-battleground-2014.png

Confirmed Card

Fatal Four War for the World Heavyweight Title: John Cena (c) v Roman Reigns v Randy Orton v Kane

Battle Royal for the Intercontinental Title (Alberto del Rio v Big E v Bo Dallas v Cesaro v Curtis Axel v Damien Sandow v Dolph Ziggler v Fandango v Kofi Kingston v Rob Van Dam v Ryback v Sheamus v The Great Khali v TBA)

Bray Wyatt v Chris Jericho

For the Diva's Title: AJ Lee (c) v Paige

Seth Rollins v Dean Ambrose

Cameron v Naomi

2/3 Falls Match for the WWE Tag Titles: The Usos (c) v The Wyatt Family

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Championship feels like it's in a holding pattern until SummerSlam. Not a bad match to put on and I'm sure they can work a fun exhibition style match but I cannot see it being anything special.

It appears Jericho/Wyatt, IC Battle Royal, AJ/Paige and Rollins/Ambrose will be announced for the card as well. I like three of those four matches, just wish they'd do something more creative with the IC Championship. Heck, that's where I'd use the fan voting app and have them decide four guys to duke it out on the show and pad the mid-card up.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Can't say I'm particularly excited to see Lesnar/Cena again. The first match was decent, but nothing I desperately need to see again.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought the Extreme Rules match was a real MotY contender. Cena took a lot of stiff offence I don't think any of his other opponents have been willing to take and made Brock seem like an absolute killer before the goofy finish.

With Heyman by Brock's side, I can only see this match being an improvement. I mean, Lauranaitis was Brock's mouthpiece...there is so much room for improvement I'm basically swimming in it.

I also don't think there are a lot of other alternatives for Brock with Bryan out.

Parra Pride

Coach
I'm kind of surprised they didn't just go with a triple thread match, or rather than Reigns have another hand picked HHH guy in trying to get the belts on Orton. It's a classic setup for Cena to rise above and pull out a win.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I thought the Extreme Rules match was a real MotY contender. Cena took a lot of stiff offence I don't think any of his other opponents have been willing to take and made Brock seem like an absolute killer before the goofy finish.

With Heyman by Brock's side, I can only see this match being an improvement. I mean, Lauranaitis was Brock's mouthpiece...there is so much room for improvement I'm basically swimming in it.

I also don't think there are a lot of other alternatives for Brock with Bryan out.

I'm in the minority here in that I'd like to see Lesnar working with guys who have a future beyond 2016/17. I'd also like to see his limited appearances not wasted in rematches unless I enjoyed the first feud.

I'd much rather see him in a match with a guy like Cesaro or Sheamus than with Cena. Even booked as the guy who ended Taker's streak, everyone will just be cheering for Lesnar against Cena.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm kind of surprised they didn't just go with a triple thread match, or rather than Reigns have another hand picked HHH guy in trying to get the belts on Orton. It's a classic setup for Cena to rise above and pull out a win.

The way the match was put together was apparently pretty weak with HHH just making the announcement.

Would have preferred it being made a Triple Threat with Roman forcing his way into make it a Fatal Fourway. Cena is both relieved but concerned too. Would make for good drama.

I'm in the minority here in that I'd like to see Lesnar working with guys who have a future beyond 2016/17.

That was the original plan with Bryan but we all know what happened there.

It's also the end-game too since they're going to use Brock to elevate a star.

I'd much rather see him in a match with a guy like Cesaro or Sheamus than with Cena.

I wouldn't mind either match but neither is a bigger attraction than Brock/Cena at this stage.

I mean, Sheamus/Brock is virtually just a downgrade of the current program as Sheamus is nowhere near as popular as Cena but still gets the heat that comes with being apart of the machine.

Cesaro/Brock would just be a re-tread of Punk/Brock from last year but worse because Cesaro has yet to really establish himself as a main event guy. A flash title win and job to Lesnar doesn't do anything for him.

Even booked as the guy who ended Taker's streak, everyone will just be cheering for Lesnar against Cena.

Everybody involved in MitB would have had to deal with the exact same problem.

In this case, I trust Heyman, Cena and Brock to get the best reaction possible.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I know it'll likely interest the grunts in the Universe. As somebody who watches wrestling for quality matches/storylines, it holds zero appeal for me save that it likely means Lesnar gets the gold and Cena goes back to not being in the main event.

Misanthrope

Staff member
What's your excuse for watching TNA? :p

I don't watch it regularly these days, although the last couple episodes + those taped to come look to be much more focused than anything they've put out in a year or more.

Low-Ki booking the X-Division looks to have breathed some new life into it, and the upcoming Destination X show + the 'ECW' style shows were well reviewed as well.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's an idea from outside the box.

Give the title to Kane.

Then have Brock beat Kane for the belt, Brock can be the man who ended Kane's title run and Undertaker's streak.

Big Pete

Referee
Chris Jericho vs Bray Wyatt
AJ Lee vs Paige
Wyatt Family vs The Usos - 2/3 Falls

All added to Battleground.

Nice food for thought madunit but I don't think the fans would be able to envision that as a SummerSlam main event. While Kane's relationship with Taker will always be apart of his character, it's hardly been a factor in recent times so I don't think the WWE have built enough interest in Brock/Kane to attract new subscribers to the network. It just isn't a marquee match, even if you lather it with a great storyline which I think would be difficult to do since Kane isn't the best promo in the world and has to do that monster shtick.

But hey, I'd love to see the WWE throw that angle up there to get fans thinking. Right now, it's just so obvious where this is going that I basically want to hit skip or tune onto other promotions.

Misanthrope

Staff member
When did they confirm the tag title match? Will be good if the Wyatts finally pick up the titles. The Usos are great wrestlers, but they don't have enough personality to create engaging feuds IMO.

Big Pete

Referee
Latest Smackdown! tapings.

I agree on the Usos. Right now, they're basically just an entrance, twins and Rikishi's kids. It's difficult to get invested because they're both so interchangable and the only time they get to shine is if Cena needs them.

I'd give them a program with a new team (perhaps a make-shift team or a promoted team from NXT) and go with the Wyatts v RhodesDust at SummerSlam.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Agreed, Wyatts v The Dust Brothers would be much better. The Rhodes' can both cut promos, which immediately gives them an advantage over the Usos.

Big Pete

Referee
On top of that you could have Bray cut promos on them, Jericho teaming up and having fun backstage skits. Then the match, my god, the matches.

That has to be the direction, surely.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want a freaky weird tag match, wyatts v dusts would be perfect

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chris Jericho vs Bray Wyatt
AJ Lee vs Paige
Wyatt Family vs The Usos - 2/3 Falls

All added to Battleground.

Nice food for thought madunit but I don't think the fans would be able to envision that as a SummerSlam main event. While Kane's relationship with Taker will always be apart of his character, it's hardly been a factor in recent times so I don't think the WWE have built enough interest in Brock/Kane to attract new subscribers to the network. It just isn't a marquee match, even if you lather it with a great storyline which I think would be difficult to do since Kane isn't the best promo in the world and has to do that monster shtick.

But hey, I'd love to see the WWE throw that angle up there to get fans thinking. Right now, it's just so obvious where this is going that I basically want to hit skip or tune onto other promotions.

I'd put Kane in his old suit & mask & his old schtick & let him just be old school for a few months. Get Brock to taunt him after he wins the belt & let kane take it out on the talent on all the shows. He's piss easy to hype up. Have him dominating everyone for a few months, then the showdown with Brock will be immense.

The link to the taker can happen in the lead up to the match with Brock.

Make it personal etc.

I just think its a good opportunity to try & something different before the inevitable happens with brock winning the belt.

At least with kane you can make it as big an occasion as the taker v brock match.

Latest posts