What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWE Battleground

Bulldog Force

Referee
Battleground-logo.png

What I'm finding hard to believe is that, given the recent storylines, there is no divas matches fullstop - not just a title match, but no tag-team or singles matches either. Pretty unbelievable given the recent NXT and Tough Enough incidents on Raw.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ugh, what a f**king terrible run of booking.

Has anyone benefited from a feud with Cena?

Owens looked great in this feud, but so did Rusev and Wyatt before him. I daresay he's in for a year or more of midcard obscurity now.

Parra Pride

Coach
Cena has said he doesn't want his fued with Owens to end here, hopefully that is the case on KO ends up going over.

I don't understand Taker deciding to show up now of all times to go back at Brock. They obviously needed a way to get Rollins out of the match with the title, but by not actually beating Brock, but Taker has had over a year and now he decides he wants revenge against Brock?

At least they are seemingly reforming the Wyatt Family.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Cena has said he doesn't want his fued with Owens to end here, hopefully that is the case on KO ends up going over.

I don't understand Taker deciding to show up now of all times to go back at Brock. They obviously needed a way to get Rollins out of the match with the title, but by not actually beating Brock, but Taker has had over a year and now he decides he wants revenge against Brock?

At least they are seemingly reforming the Wyatt Family.

Could be that they do a four way match at SummerSlam incorporation Cesro and Rusev so they can 'protect' Cena and transition Owens straight into a feud with Cesaro or Rusev. Still don't see why Cena can't just give somebody a rub.

I know it can be argued that by letting them be competitive he gives them a rub, but when he comes out of every feud untarnished and the other guy ends up directionless, it's not much of a rub IMO.

Taker v Lesnar will headline SummerSlam, from what I've heard.

aussies1st

Staff member
Seems a waste for Taker rematch to be before WM. Big wtf moment, knew they were going to screw Lensar somehow but not via Taker. WWE keeping Seth with the title while keeping the fans happy with Lensar dominating and Taker returning.

Misanthrope

Staff member
And that's why you don't call Owens up early.

Yep, clearly wasn't ready. That ***** match could have been a ****** star match.

I'm not sure what logic you're applying here. They could have and should have had him go over. It's not like they'd have been any more likely to do it in six months time.

The problem is their booking. Cena just can't lose.

Big Pete

Referee
Should have kept Owens strong in NXT, let him go on a monster reign and called him up when that ran it's course.

Which is what I've been saying from the start.

The timing wasn't right, Cena needed to at least make SummerSlam as US Champion before they could consider dropping it otherwise all that good work would go to waste.

Owens should be alright but they've probably cost themselves a few subscribers with their nonsense.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't see why Cena needs to hold the belt through to SummerSlam. He's done all he can for the belt. A better move would have been to let him drop it to Owens and use him to save the Intercontinental Title. Maybe he could be the one to break the curse?

Big Pete

Referee
Because the longer he holds the belt, the more significant it becomes and the more it means something. Cena as the US Champion is the best spot for him and I'm fine as Owens can easily talk himself up the card.

Course now that I've said that, they'll hand him the belt at SummerSlam by having him pin Cesaro in a four-way.

Cena transitioning to the IC belt would be so shameless, maybe they'd go for it?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Because the longer he holds the belt, the more significant it becomes and the more it means something. Cena as the US Champion is the best spot for him and I'm fine as Owens can easily talk himself up the card.

Course now that I've said that, they'll hand him the belt at SummerSlam by having him pin Cesaro in a four-way.

Cena transitioning to the IC belt would be so shameless, maybe they'd go for it?

I've pretty much predicted that four way/triple threat. There isn't really time to build up a money feud for Cena before then, and it's the best way to protect (ha! Like he needs it) him in the loss.

I'll give Cena this, he's made the belt relevant again. That said, anybody given the same amount of TV time and a meaningful feud probably could have done a similarly good job of elevating the belt.

Given where it started, it being given TV time at all is a massive improvement.

mackdadday

Juniors
I think in a perfect world Owens would have arrived in next and thus the main roster a few months earlier because I can't imagine who'd be better as Mr MITB. I don't mind the Cena win when I see the kids smiling in the audience and if they're going to stick with a Cena/Owens/Cesaro/Rusev 4 Way waltz for the next couple of months.

Happy with the undertaker costing Brock. Heymen has been ripping on him non-stop for 15 months and hopefully we'll see them both on Raw. It'd be nice for the wwe to actually have wrestlers not completely forget their bad blood when they go on to different feuds. Ambrose was at his peak with his blood hatred of Rollins then it just disappeared for 6 odd months. Why can't wrestlers have more than one thing going on at a time? Might make it a bit less one dimensional.

Big Pete

Referee
The WWE could install a few guys as US Champion and I'm sure the matches would be as every bit as entertaining but it would take a lot more effort to give the belt the same amount of prestige as Cena has.

I like him in that role. It's fresh, keeps him out of the main storylines and gives you the odd match that's designed to be great. I just don't like them pairing him with Owens where neither guy should really be losing.

Owens as a MitB holder would have been far more intriguing than Owens as a US Champion. They should really just scrap the briefcase concept since it hurts more than it helps but I've flogged that dead horse as much as my 'NXT should be treated as a viable brand, not developmental' agenda.

You raise a good point mackdaddy. I like it when guys have multiple feuds. Sadly, I think the reason they don't do it is because they feel if you put guys into too many feuds, it dilutes the feud they're trying to sell on PPV or the Live Events. I think it's a cop out and you could have it where say Orton is tagging with Ziggler, while feuding with Sheamus, Barrett and even Slater. It'd just make things more multi-faceted and interesting.

On a similar note, they need to alternate the focus of each episode. Not every episode should be about Seth Rollins as champion. Make the odd episode about Roman Reigns taking on Bray Wyatt or Ryback defending his IC Championship against his toughest opponent. Hell, you could book a Smackdown around the Prime Time Players instead of making it an Authority sanctioned tag team match featuring Roman Reigns or Dean Ambrose as one of the partners.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I loved the roster split. It made Smackdown relevant, it showcased lesser talents, and it meant that the big PPVs felt legitimately big because they were the only ones where crossovers were possible.

Big Pete

Referee
The brand split wouldn't work these days.

...in fact it didn't really work back then either.

However with Raw at 3 hours, the WWE can't afford to spread talent evenly and Smackdown would still be treated as a B show instead of a viable alternative.

Latest posts