What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWE Royal Rumble 2013 ***SPOILERS***

BDR

First Grade
Oh and also the other matches were pathetic. The only match that was passable was the Big Show/Dos Caras match. Which is saying something considering how awful Show is.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Show v Del Rio stole the show. Big Show has been involved in some great matches the last couple of months. The chokeslam through the table was awesome, probably could have used a different camera angle, but it was still good. The sneaky finish was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, loved when Del Rio locked cena out of the Cell in 2011, and loved when he handcuffed punk to the rope at TLC.

The rumble itself was good, except for the weird booking having three jacked up faces at the end. The Kofi spot was cool, not as good as the handstand though. I think he should have landed on the actual announce table, he may have been able to jump. Marked hard for Jericho, complete surprise. That's what the rumble is all about.

The tag team match was pretty good, a bit annoyed we didn't see Hell No start to fracture in that match, then carry on at the rumble. But, we have time til mania, probably couldn't fast track the split.

The Rock winning wouldn't have worried me, but, as I ranted about earlier, it should have taken more. A lot more. Have the rock and punk trade finishers a couple of times before the end. Have punk try to get DQed, considering the match started with the belt still in his hands. Something more than the weak finish.

Overall a good PPV, but did not live up to the hype in my mind. Especially because I generally consider the rumble to be one of the most unpredictable ppvs of the year, and the run of the mill obviousness left a bad taste in my mouth.

Looking forward to the EC, I'm betting Rock, Cena, Punk, Ziggler, Lesnar, and Triple H for WWE, and Shaemus, Del Rio, Big Show, Ryback, Jericho (if not him, then winner of Kane v Bryan, ends screwy, to set up match at WM) and Randy Orton for WHC. They have the tools to really bump the buyrate for Elimination Chamber, Wrestlemania will sell shiteloads again already, now is the chance to have the most star studded EC match of all time. Build all three rather than just the end game like last year.

shiznit

Coach
This PPV annoyed me almost as much as Bryan losing in 18 seconds. Punk has kicked out of:

1. 2 Pedigrees and a jack-knife powerbomb, plus multiple chairshots. And loses to an Elbow Drop.
2. The World's Strongest Slam, which destroyed everyone for almost a year up until that point. And loses to an Elbow Drop.
3. Multiple codebreakers and withstood the Walls of Jericho more than most do. And loses to an Elbow Drop.
4. Multiple AAs, the god damn Golden Gun of wrestling moves, in the same match. And loses to an Elbow Drop.
5. The first to break Rybacks undefeated streak, and loses to an Elbow Drop.

come on son.... that happens to be the most electrifying elbow in all of entertainment... :lol:

seriously though dude... it was obvious they were building for Cena vs Rock II at WM.

He's got GI Joe, Fast Six, Snitch & Pain & Gain all coming out in the next 5 or so months... so it works for both parties to keep him in the spotlight.

not that i don't see where your coming from.... they make punk look piss weak.

reminds me a lot of what they used to do to Bret Hart early in his reigns...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Pretty underwhelmed tbh. Enjoyed the Rumble match, as I always do, but what an anti-climactic finish. A winner nobody seemed that keen on (much more crowd love for Sheamus, Jerico, Ryback, and Orton) and in a totally anti-climactic way. At least Jericho is back, Rhodes and Ziggler were made to look good, and there was some nostalgia.

The main event... I didn't mind Punk losing, but the nature of it was pissweak, lazy booking. The only redeeming feature is that, with only Cole's word to go on,there's potential that Punk or Heyman produce footage to disprove it. I'd say they won't bother though. Got to rehash last year's mediocre 'once in a lifetime' match, right?

Meth

Staff member
Oh and also the other matches were pathetic. The only match that was passable was the Big Show/Dos Caras match. Which is saying something considering how awful Show is.

yep. Haven't watched wrestling in a while (since the last ppv disappointment) and was surprised to see what a great job they've done at putting Del Rio over.

Tag match was what it was.

Rumble match started pretty well, then went downhill. I liked the Rhodes v Rhodes mini angle and it was great to see Jericho back.

Not a fan of Kofi, but he goes ok in the rumble. But him 'using the chair as a pogo stick' was nowhere near as exciting as JBL made it out to be.

Would have loved Orton to win it, and then have a Punk v Orton main event at Wrestlemania. The master of mindgames v the mentally unstable. As soon as he went out, you knew Cena was going to win and you knew that Punk was going to drop the belt.

ugh.

The Rock's promo was awful.

When Punk was dominating the match, I thought perhaps they might just be using the Rock to develop Punk's anti-people character. I was so pleased when Punk won it. And then, for the Rock to win it with a sole-elbow drop. That'll do me.

The Rock v Cena at the Rumble. Yawn

Valheru

Coach
I am not sure why Cena winning annoys people so much, he is the biggest star in the company and him winning the rumble negates the complaints that many have with the “once in a lifetime” moniker from last year. From a kayfabe perspective anyone can enter the rumble and win and challenge whichever champ they want so rock/Cena II has come about coincidentally...

The whinging about punk doesn’t make sense either. To some degree I understand the complaints about him losing to a part timer but he has had a 400+ day title run, do we want him to be champion forever? If rumours are true he will get a rematch at EC and then enter a program with Undertaker for WM, he is hardly being demoted.

For me all the matches put on were decent to good but my main complaint is the amount of videos they had. A good 30 minutes of the show was wasted and we could of had a Intercontinental or US title match on the main card.

That was definately a gripe of mine, all the video packages. People have bought the PPV (well, most people...), there is no need to plug them what they have already seen on Raw, SmackDown, or any other WWE media platform.

Meth

Staff member
I definitely agree that his title reign couldn't go on forever and was about due to finish. But why not drop it to Cena? Or Orton? Rather than a 40 year old movie star who was at his peak 10 years ago?

Honestly, I rather Punk drop the title to The Rock over those two you have mentioned. Both Cena and Orton have been far to frequent in the title picture over the last number of years.

nöyd

Staff member
The whinging about punk doesn?t make sense either...

i think the problem there is it took one standing elbow to defeat him, after months of kicking out of multiple, more "damaging" finishers.

personally i couldnt give a rats if he was champion for 8 years or 8 minutes, you cant deny the end of his reign was weak as piss.

redvscotty

First Grade
Marellas short stint in the Rumble
Kofi
Del Rio
Golddust
Godfather (his whole 5 seconds)
Shaemus (and I dont really like him)

Dislikes:

Punk losing
Cena winning
3MB
Khali

I initially thought it was Taker who came out to flatten the Rock. Punk gets the shits with Taker for ruining his title match and they fued to WM. The Rock doesn't care because he won it and goes on to face Cena in what will probably be a good match, but ultimately a boreathon.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I have no gripe with him dropping it to The Rock. I have a gripe with the sloppy, boring finish to the match. The interference that was 'banned' happening anyway and then a lame duck People's Elbow 'finish' was just a let-down of a finish to what had been to an epic match. It deserved a better end than a dusty finish and a quick 1-2-3.

Cena winning just bores me because the original match wasn't particularly good, Cena has been in a rare streak of poor form promo wise of late, and the match Vince seems so intent on has no need of the title to elevate it.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Only saw the RR match. My thoughts are;

It started really well. Ziggler and Jericho did a great job starting the match.

The Rhodes/Goldust was fantastic

Rhodes was the standout, He always seems to step up during the RR matches.

I enjoyed the Kofi spot, was a bit of fun.

Feel they wasted the Godfathers spot, whats the point of a cameo appearance
for it to last like 2 seconds?

If you can look past knowing how obvious it was that Cena would have won, the final 6 were awesome.

I would have liked to have seen Cody Rhodes in there as well like in the last 7, maybe outlast Dolph and Jericho. Was a bit gutting to see how Rhodes was eliminated.

The Hell No elimination was pretty good. Rather they worked it like that than Kane go in and go monsterish on Bryans ass. Plenty of time for that.

Rey didnt last as long as i thought he would.

Also, great to see the NXT guy do well!

Sheamus really sold the rumble as well, brilliant performance.

Note, is it just me or does Jinder Mahal really not fit the 3MB image?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Couple of other thigns

I hope they can use this to push the NXT guy to have a fued with Barrett. Have him go over, Barrett being an established star can take it. Can work well with Barrett tossing him out the rumble.

One other thing that kinda grinded my gears was that Ziggler spent more time on the apron than in the ring! You knew he wasn't going out 90% of the time.:crazy: