What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y.N.W.A Thread III: Enter 'The Normal One'

DC80

Juniors
Its not a big decision at all. Trent plays.

Everybody was saying the exact same thing before the City tie and he kept Sane in his pocket.

He wasnt the only average player on the field. Where was the midfield in the second half?

Besides, people grossly overrate Clyne.
He was excellent against Sane, but these inconsistent performances could cost us big time. He wasn’t just average btw, he was atrocious. There were at least half a dozen goal chances from his mistakes alone.

A team can still win when one player is very average, but not when one player puts in the kind of display Trent did. I picked up that he was poor while watching it (which wasn’t hard) but it was only when I watched the re-run that I realised just how bad he was. Lovren vs Spurs earlier on in the season, it was that level bad. Twice their attacker got in behind him as he made a strange attempt to intercept the ball. Almost every time the left winger (or left back) got the ball he got the cross in (Van Dijk was immense in clearing them). Getting done for speed as he was flat footed, that was a major surprise as he looks quick himself. That right side of defence was wide open. We had the welcome mat out for their left sided attack and that would kill us in the final.

I thought TAA had been playing pretty well recently and had deserved his spot in the team but yeh he was close to diabolical today.

Ronaldo running at him all night is giving me nightmares.
Klopp will have seen the tape of the game over again and he will known immediately we cannot have a repeat of that performance. If we did we maŷ as well not show up. Madrid would have a field day down that left side.

Yep. Clyne has not played much football this season due to injury and I doubt he is anywhere near full match fitness. As such it would not be a good idea to chuck him into a final as he'd be under done. Remember what happened with Harry Kewell in the 2005 CL Final when, despite not being at full fitness, Benitez started him? As such I agree with you Nick.
Fair point. Take on board the comparison. The only thing is Clyne is definitely fit, Kewell there was a question mark. Plus it wouldn’t be a system change (leaving out the defensive midfielder Hamann - in a 4-2-3-1 system that got us to the final - for an attacking player in Kewell was sheer madness from Rafa). It would be a like for like change. Clyne is solid defensively. If Arnold puts in another performance like that against Chelsea I can’t see how he could stay in the starting XI.

cb4

First Grade
31890728_10160014794675467_7880131816873525248_n.jpg

Laters guys.

saint.nick

Coach
He was excellent against Sane, but these inconsistent performances could cost us big time. He wasn’t just average btw, he was atrocious. There were at least half a dozen goal chances from his mistakes alone.

A team can still win when one player is very average, but not when one player puts in the kind of display Trent did. I picked up that he was poor while watching it (which wasn’t hard) but it was only when I watched the re-run that I realised just how bad he was. Lovren vs Spurs earlier on in the season, it was that level bad. Twice their attacker got in behind him as he made a strange attempt to intercept the ball. Almost every time the left winger (or left back) got the ball he got the cross in (Van Dijk was immense in clearing them). Getting done for speed as he was flat footed, that was a major surprise as he looks quick himself. That right side of defence was wide open. We had the welcome mat out for their left sided attack and that would kill us in the final.

Klopp will have seen the tape of the game over again and he will known immediately we cannot have a repeat of that performance. If we did we maŷ as well not show up. Madrid would have a field day down that left side.

Fair point. Take on board the comparison. The only thing is Clyne is definitely fit, Kewell there was a question mark. Plus it wouldn’t be a system change (leaving out the defensive midfielder Hamann - in a 4-2-3-1 system that got us to the final - for an attacking player in Kewell was sheer madness from Rafa). It would be a like for like change. Clyne is solid defensively. If Arnold puts in another performance like that against Chelsea I can’t see how he could stay in the starting XI.
But it would not be fair to drop TAA as he has earnt his spot in the team. I am confident he will be on his game for the final. Ronaldo also isnt as mobile as he used to be, he isnt really that speedy strickster that he was at United

DC80

Juniors
But it would not be fair to drop TAA as he has earnt his spot in the team. I am confident he will be on his game for the final. Ronaldo also isnt as mobile as he used to be, he isnt really that speedy strickster that he was at United
The fairness point I totally get, and the thought that he has been in the team since the start of the CL run is in the back of my mind. I think he will start. That performance was a massive concern though. It’s a team game yes, but you can’t have one individual performing like that and expect to get away with it.

First goal: let the left sided Roma player get a free unchallenged header back towards the six yard box (Lovren cleared but it struck Milner for an own goal).
Second goal: went to intercept the pass but got his position all wrong, ball went through to the wide player who shot at goal, Karius parried, Dzeko scores.

The third goal - the strike from distance - in the build up to that Trent cleared straight to the Roma player, two or three passes later, goal.

Dzeko shot from six yards out - again Trent misreads the pass as it goes over his head, Dzeko collects unchallenged and shoots, Karius makes a great save, Lovren clears.

This would be a harsh one perhaps - his weak clearance in the build up to his hand ball moment, another poor one straight to the Roma attacker, his shot then hit Trent and went over the bar.

There was an endless flow of unchallenged crosses from the left too. They also got in behind him for speed, he was flat footed. Our entire right side of defence was wide open, it was as if there was nobody there. Madrid would massacre us if there’s anything like a repeat. When Klopp sees the game again I'm convinced he will focus on this area.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Clyne won’t be any better apart from being physically stronger than TAA. He’s as bad positionally imo and has less upside in attack as he has no idea how to whip a ball in.

We keep the same side that’s got us here barring injuries.

I also think marcelo will be very brave to try and get as advanced he usually does. If he does I’ll be happy because Mo will have acres of space. Our wingers will give their fullbacks a torrid time. Not to mention the work bobby does from the front with his pressing.

It’s gonna be a hell of final and both sides are as equally flawed in my opinion. We’re fantastic going forward, Madrid have Ronaldo and co but are suspect defensively. Madrid just have a better midfield that allows him to grind out a result, while ours is incredibly industrious without being amazing.

Enjoy the ride lads as this has been amazing so far.

CB you lucky bastard, enjoy the night in Kiev mate and I hope it’s another instanbul for the reds

thorson1987

Coach
2018 LFC Players’ Awards winners

Player of the Season: Mohamed Salah
Players’ Player of the Season: Mohamed Salah
Ladies Player of the Season: Gemma Bonner
Ladies Players’ Player of the Season: Sophie Ingle
Young Player of the Season: Trent Alexander-Arnold
Academy Player of the Season: Harry Wilson
Goal of the Season: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain v Manchester City (April 4)
Bill Shankly Community Award: Fans Supporting Foodbanks
Lifetime Achievement Award: Ian Callaghan
Outstanding Team Achievement Award: 1978 European Cup-winning team
Supporters’ Club of the Season: New South Wales

thorson1987

Coach
What was it going to take for us to get a penalty at Anfield in the league this year?

f**king Spurs had just as many at Anfield than we did.

Great to be guaranteed CL group stages again for next season.

What was it going to take for us to get a penalty at Anfield in the league this year?

f**king Spurs had just as many at Anfield than we did.

Great to be guaranteed CL group stages again for next season.

Yep. That missed penalty was a howler. Craig Foster on SBS reckons that is the kind of mistake that gets a referee dropped from the Premier League for a few weeks as it was that bad a decision.

Have to give props to Dominic Solanke. Great pass to Salah for the first goal, and a good strike when Salah set him up to score Liverpool's 3rd goal of the match in the second half. Only took him 28 appearances in a Liverpool jersey to score his maiden goal for the club.

Also for those unaware, TV coverage of the UEFA CL Final is at 4.00 am (AEST) on Sunday 27 May 2018.

saint.nick

Coach
The referees in England are a f**king disgrace. I reckon there needs to be an investigation into it, and yes i am talking about corruption. There have been way too many shocking mistakes from supposed professionals to dismiss the reality of corruption. I was reading something the other day that referenced an interview between a British journo and Italian FA official. He asked the italian why corruption has never been substantially found in Britain, and the Italian responded because they have never properly looked. Considering the shady shit Fat Sam was caught with, is it really that hard to imagine corrupt refs in England? Theyd think they can get away with it because of a culture of blissful ignorance.

saint.nick

Coach
And on another note, expect us to sign Butland.

Missed the game last night, was too tired to stay up. Stoked for Salah. Also stoked that Solanke finally scored, was a belter.

I heard the stadium had a real party atmosphere too.

Foz

Bench
The King presenting Mo with the Golden Boot was a nice touch.

I think the score line flattered Brighton.
Could easily have been 6 or 7.

saint.nick

Coach
The King presenting Mo with the Golden Boot was a nice touch.

I think the score line flattered Brighton.
Could easily have been 6 or 7.
You know the team is certain they will win when Mane is greedily taking chances like that

Foz

Bench
There was a couple of penalties turned down in the first half, which on another day could easily have been given,a couple of chances cleared off the line,Firmino blasting over the top from Close range.
Should’ve been way more.
It’s great the amount of chances they create.
Let’s hope they can do the job on Sunday week.

DC80

Juniors
And on another note, expect us to sign Butland.

Missed the game last night, was too tired to stay up. Stoked for Salah. Also stoked that Solanke finally scored, was a belter.

I heard the stadium had a real party atmosphere too.

Please God no. Bang average.

What I loved about Van Dijk is the manager waited for him. When we couldn’t get him last July many managers would have gone for an alternative, but Klopp was only prepared to go for the best, so waited until he became available. He was only going to sign a player that he knew was much better than what we had..rather than sign someone who quite possibly wouldn’t have been an upgrade. With Butland, I don’t see much of an upgrade..in fact I don’t see any. There are umpteen gk better than him, Oblak being top of the tree.

One week to go. As soon as I hear this I will be officially bricking it.

saint.nick

Coach
Please God no. Bang average.

What I loved about Van Dijk is the manager waited for him. When we couldn’t get him last July many managers would have gone for an alternative, but Klopp was only prepared to go for the best, so waited until he became available. He was only going to sign a player that he knew was much better than what we had..rather than sign someone who quite possibly wouldn’t have been an upgrade. With Butland, I don’t see much of an upgrade..in fact I don’t see any. There are umpteen gk better than him, Oblak being top of the tree.

One week to go. As soon as I hear this I will be officially bricking it.

With all due respect DC your understanding of the situation is a little misguided.

Butland is not an upgrade, he is being signed to give Karius competition. The reason for this is three-fold, firstly being that Mignolet is shit, secondly that he is trying to leave anyway, and thirdly that Ward can't do it because he wants to leave too. If LFC had a good opportunity to sign a world class upgrade then I think they'd pursue it, but it appears that trying to sign Alisson is too difficult. So the next best solution is to keep with Karius at no.1 and hopefully see him improve and develop more.

It was good that Klopp waited around for VVD, but he can't exactly do that again this time because there isn't any world class GK out there waiting and praying to sign for us like VVD did, so it's not as if he's deserting his principles.

Latest posts