Yes, the ANZAC jerseys do raise money for the RSL.

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Prometheus, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Prometheus

Prometheus Juniors

About this time every year we see people here discussing whether the commemorative ANZAC round is just commercial exploitation by the NRL, or if it actually raises money for our returned service-persons. We all know that the clubs auction off the player-worn jerseys to raise money for the RSL, but there never seems to be any indication of whether the jerseys sold to fans contribute to the fundraising.

I just noticed the following statement on nrlshop.com -

**5% of proceeds from the sale of every Anzac Round Jersey will be donated to the RSL’s Anzac Appeal**

So now we know for certain. I decided to post this in a thread of its own so that the information isn't lost in a jersey thread hundreds of pages long.

2. thorson1987

thorson1987 Coach

Really should be more but it is better than nothing.

LESStar58 likes this.
  3. jonno_knights

jonno_knights Juniors

%5 of proceeds? That's pretty poor. Thats no more then a token gesture.

They'd make more from auctioning them off then 5% of the profits of not that many jersey sales. Should be 100% of profits if they were doing it for the cause.

4. kdalymc

kdalymc Juniors

Yep. Should be every cent. It's meant to be illegal...
    Woolies got in trouble for
    "Never forget the Anzacs- Fresh in our memories"
    And the NRL can sell jerseys for $180, that cost $30 and donate $9....

5. AJB1102

AJB1102 Juniors

$5 from every sale of the Souths ANZAC jersey goes to charity. The other $145 I'm not sure about.

6. beave

beave Coach

Cowboys are doing $5 to Legacy with each jersey sale. Better than nothing but pretty piss poor in the scheme of things.

They are also marketing it as a 'Commemorative' jersey and not 'anzac'........

7. Prometheus

Prometheus Juniors

Well, we can guess, but we don't really know what the profit margin on jerseys is. 5% of proceeds means 5% of the price you are charged. It would be larger percentage of the profits.

8. Prometheus

Prometheus Juniors

So the clubs would essentially be making a heavy loss on every jersey sold? Yeah, that'll happen.

9. Life's Good

Life's Good Bench

Stop ya whinging. It's more than what Simona provided.....

10. AJB1102

AJB1102 Juniors

Any fan contemplating buying an ANZAC jersey should just donate $100 to an ANZAC charity. You'll make a much better contribution and save yaself $50+.

If the Clubs make anything above breaking even on the production of the jerseys is grubby.

11. jonno_knights

jonno_knights Juniors

Its like all these pop up "charity" fun runs, where they say a percentage of profits go to a range of local charities...

In other words, they pay the creators/administrators a healthy wage, then donate whatever small amount is left over to other "charities" so their creators/administration can pocket a nice sum of money too... and then maybe at the end there is a little left over to help the people in need.

The day and age we live in, where multi million dollar corporations have campaigns to take advantage of the publics good will.

12. Prometheus

Prometheus Juniors

You do realise some people buy them because they actually want a jersey to wear, right?

13. Chimp

Chimp Juniors

It is all a bit Tim Simona-esq, they're just been more upfront about it.

They market the shirts as 'ANZAC', make a profit and give a small amount to charity.... Isn't that very similar to what Simona was guilty of? A charity auction of shirts, keeping lions share of profit for himself and only giving a small amount to charity....

Wonder if the NRL would deregister themselves 'indefinitely'?

14. Captain Apollo

Captain Apollo Bench

It is not illegal to use the term if they have the permission of the Federal Minister for Veterans' Affairs. This page outlines the rules and regulations regarding use of the term ANZAC - https://www.dva.gov.au/commemorations-memorials-and-war-graves/protecting-word-Anzac

I dare say the NRL, unlike Woolies, applied for permission to use the term for the team jerseys. The RSL would not object as they are getting a donation from their sale.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  15. moffla

moffla Juniors

5% is a f**king rort.

16. DlEHARD

DlEHARD Juniors

5% of $180 RRP. Rort on a rort.

How many do they really sell?

17. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter First Grade

Talking of anzac rorts, afl put their anzac day ticket prices up by up to 80%. I wonder where all that cash goes too.

18. hrundi99

hrundi99 First Grade

When I worked in merch at a NRL club 10 years ago we bought jerseys for about $110 and sold them for $150-160.

19. Just Visiting

Just Visiting Juniors

Semi unrelated but it shits me that when going through Woolies checkout and they are asking everyone to donate $2 to something. I always think to myself, seriously you guys make a couple billion a year and are asking me to donate.

20. Prometheus

Prometheus Juniors

So the mark-up was about a third of the recommended retail price. Of course, that isn't the profit margin, because you still have to factor in the overheads of the retailer selling the jerseys. The actual profits would be less. So 5% of proceeds is a considerably higher percentage of the profits.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017