What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young Careers That Tragically Ended Far Too Early.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
As the OP said, Sonny Fai was an amazing talent. He would have kicked on to something special. I know its selfish, but im upset I never got to see more of him play.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Here's a question for those with a better memory than me...was it Brett Anderson who sued a surgeon over botched knee surgery, or am I getting players mixed up?

I think you're talking about Danny Sullivan.

Parra Guru

Coach
Simon dywer's career over at tiggers is in great doubt. He could have been anything. Hope he comes good ( except when playing eels of course ).

Yeah sadly it's not looking good for him. Huge talent & future Origin player for sure. Has suffered nerve damage in his neck.

lingard

Coach
Mick Pattison. Probably would have been a major star, but broke both his collar bones and was injury-prone. Still carved out a fairly impressive career despite this, but might have been a champion.
Steve Ella was the opposite of what this thread is about - he did major damage to his knees which should have been career-ending, but got through it and then became a star.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Paul Hayward

ex newtown player. Google the name, and read about his fall from grace, very tragic

Kiwimation

Juniors
I would have to say me. I watched a couple of nrl games when i was young. Waited for the phone call from some nrl team. Never came, gave up and moved on to sport drinking. There loss :)

spiderdan

Bench
Both were earmarked for stardom but never quite got there:

Barney haslett- was the kid from gold coast (?) that crusher paraded on the footy show. Crusher blamed himself for the weight of expectation on barney's shoulders that he thought led to his demise and stopped him making it.

Chris flynt - I think that was his name. Star player in the comm bank cup schoolboy comp around 94. Was talked up big but after the brawl in the final that year seemed to vanish.

The Colonel

Immortal
Secondly is a young red headed second rower called Danny Sullivan he was with us from 2001 - 2003 but only played 5 games for us because of knee injuries and complications from surgeries. He was a gun junior and he too could of been anything. He ended up leaving Parra to go to the Warriors (to hook up with Daniel Anderson again) where he only played one game, got another severe knee injury and ultimately had to retire. I always hoped he would come back (as he had such huge potential) but sadly never did.

Jason Power was another player who had his career cut short by a knee injury at around the same time as Danny in a trial match. Made the long trek back only to do the same injury again not long after. Last known as working at Parramatta Pool iirc.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Jason Power was another player who had his career cut short by a knee injury at around the same time as Danny in a trial match. Made the long trek back only to do the same injury again not long after. Last known as working at Parramatta Pool iirc.

Thanks Colonel

I have still have a poster of the 2001 squad, unfortunately no names listed but hes definately in that photo, just couldnt think of his name it was killing me all week.

Very promising, I remember he was going well in the 2001 reserves, was he a 5/8 lock. Had a bright future ahead of him, whether it was at Parra or elsewhere.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Do you mean Vince Mellars? He is playing for the Crusaders in the ESL and after their demotion will play for Wakefield.

Latest posts