What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your 2016 Rnd 1 team

Kilkenny

Coach
Like I've said with Cartwright, Peach and Hiku a utility is pointless. 4 forwards on the bench is the go.

IMO neither Cartwright or Peachy are viable options for the six. I'm more thinking TMM or The much maligned Smith as the utility. Wallace or Smith could fill in for Seveyaro is he is injured or needs a break. If TMM on bench then Wallace can give Seggy a spell. Certainly don't disagree with the four cowards off the bench option just interesting to see which way coach goes.

betcats

Referee
IMO neither Cartwright or Peachy are viable options for the six. I'm more thinking TMM or The much maligned Smith as the utility. Wallace or Smith could fill in for Seveyaro is he is injured or needs a break. If TMM on bench then Wallace can give Seggy a spell. Certainly don't disagree with the four cowards off the bench option just interesting to see which way coach goes.

I really hope we don't have four cowards on the bench.

Kilkenny

Coach
I really don't profess to know how the new interchange rules impact us? That's why we have coaching staff I guess. They know better than us. I just think we are kinda light on up front and need to ensure we have the size to compete against the bigger packs.

For the record wife and I are going to be at round 1 against Raiders. Booked our accomodation months back. Looking foward to trip but geez it is tough to win in the capital. Raiders will surely start short priced favourites.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
I think the biggest impact will be on teams abusing the concussion rules to get a free interchange. The players gets to go off, get tested and come back on without it costing an interchange.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think the biggest impact will be on teams abusing the concussion rules to get a free interchange. The players gets to go off, get tested and come back on without it costing an interchange.

Good point. Although I suspect all clubs maybe guilty.

Are team announcements still 5pm Tuesday this season?

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
1. DWZ.
2. Peta Hiku.
3. Dean Whare.
4. Waqa Blake.
5. Josh Mansour.
6. Jamie Soward.
7. Peter Wallace.
8. Regan Campbell Gillard.
9. James Segeyaro.
10 Trent Merrin.
11.Isaah Yeo.
12.Bryce Cartwright.
13.Elijah Taylor.

14.Tyrone Peachy.
15.JFH.
16.Leilani Latu.
17.Jeremy Latimore.
18.Will Smith.

That's the fourth hand insider tip. Sam McKendry for RCG if he is ruled out.

TheFrog

Coach
1. DWZ.
2. Peta Hiku.
3. Dean Whare.
4. Waqa Blake.
5. Josh Mansour.
6. Jamie Soward.
7. Peter Wallace.
9. James Segeyaro.
10 Trent Merrin.
11.Isaah Yeo.
12.Bryce Cartwright.
13.Elijah Taylor.

14.Tyrone Peachy.
15.JFH.
16.Leilani Latu.
17.Jeremy Latimore.

Looks close to the side that will be names to me. But who will be captain? Soward? Wallace? Taylor? Merrin? Whare? Segeyaro?

I'd go for Soward.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
1. DWZ.
2. Peta Hiku.
3. Dean Whare.
4. Waqa Blake.
5. Josh Mansour.
6. Jamie Soward.
7. Peter Wallace.
9. James Segeyaro.
10 Trent Merrin.
11.Isaah Yeo.
12.Bryce Cartwright.
13.Elijah Taylor.

14.Tyrone Peachy.
15.JFH.
16.Leilani Latu.
17.Jeremy Latimore.
18.Will Smith.

Hiku on the wing would be a waste of a sound defender.

Put Blake on the Wing,and when we are in possession,flip him to centre.

betcats

Referee

They wont be on the same side. If Dallin goes to FB then Blake will either be inside Mansour on the left or outside Whare on the right. Unless they want to shift Mansour or Whare which seems unlikely.

franklin2323

Immortal
1. DWZ.
2. Peta Hiku.
3. Dean Whare.
4. Waqa Blake.
5. Josh Mansour.
6. Jamie Soward.
7. Peter Wallace.
9. James Segeyaro.
10 Trent Merrin.
11.Isaah Yeo.
12.Bryce Cartwright.
13.Elijah Taylor.

14.Tyrone Peachy.
15.JFH.
16.Leilani Latu.
17.Jeremy Latimore.
18.Will Smith.

Surely Matagi plays over Yeo?

mxlegend99

Referee

Blake was better in defence against the Eels than Hiku was. He also lined up opposite Jennings and Radradra. He leaked one try and it was through the half tricking him rather than being unable to stop his man.

Not sure why Hiku is considered a good defender. Manly fans seemed to think he was a defensive liability with poor positioning. Possibly due to moving around the field each week.

Edit
Wrote Whare instead of Blake

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Matagi isn't a great defender which is probably why he is in and out of FG. If that team is picked JFH will come on and add some starch to the back row. ET and Yeo will throw a body at everything that comes near them and Bryce can certainly hold his own defensively if he puts in the effort. I really like the front row rotation of Merrin-RCG-Latimore-Latu.

franklin2323

Immortal
Matagi isn't a great defender which is probably why he is in and out of FG. If that team is picked JFH will come on and add some starch to the back row. ET and Yeo will throw a body at everything that comes near them and Bryce can certainly hold his own defensively if he puts in the effort. I really like the front row rotation of Merrin-RCG-Latimore-Latu.

20 mins off the bench in the Masoe mould is better for us. He is a weaker defender because he fires himself like a missle at defenders. I think starting Latimore and having Matagi, Latu, JFH and Peachey off the bench gives as best chance of getting on top late in the halves

betcats

Referee
We are not going to roll over that big Canberra pack so Matagi's value comes down a bit for this game imo. If we are going to get on top of Canberra it will be through our middle defence and second phase play, neither of which are Matagi's strengths.

IF I moved Merrin to lock I would be dropping ET out of the side rather than Yeo. Yeo's speed and offload around the edges will offer more than ETs defence. But I prefer Merrin at prop.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
We are not going to roll over that big Canberra pack so Matagi's value comes down a bit for this game imo. If we are going to get on top of Canberra it will be through our middle defence and second phase play, neither of which are Matagi's strengths.

IF I moved Merrin to lock I would be dropping ET out of the side rather than Yeo. Yeo's speed and offload around the edges will offer more than ETs defence. But I prefer Merrin at prop.

I to prefer Merrin at prop to but why then has Taylor only played backrow to then move to lock. I think we need players with that x factor on the bench because of how boring the starting team will be

Latest posts