What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Best Three And Worst Three Gigs

Best;

1. Status Quo - 1977 at the Hordern. Fabulous concert. They came out on stage and everyone in the joint stood on their seats and danced all night. Rock and roll.

2. Billy Joel - 1978 at the Hordern. This guy sounds exactly the same live as he does on record. Awesome talent.

3. Ultimate Rock Symphony - 2005? at Acer. Great concert all round but Gary Brooker singing Conquistador with a full orchestra was something else. Seeing Alice Cooper singing Another Brick in the wall was pretty cool too.

Worst;

1. Yes, a few years ago at the Ent Cent. Abysmal even with Rick Wakeman. Had one big hit in Australia (Owner of the lonely heart) and didn't play it. Pretentious wankers. Jon Anderson kept telling us how ahead of the curve they were when it came to looking after the planet etc. I wanted to stone him. Played their only other big hit dead last. 2 1/2 hours of sheer torture including a 15 minute wank by Wakeman. I never realised just how absolute sh*t they were till I saw them live. Free would be too much to pay to see them again.

2. Georgie Fame. 20 odd years ago at Mounties. Most of the audience was gone by song 3.

3. Marcia Hines. 20 odd years ago at Mounties. Stop f**king yelling.

1. Status Quo - 1977 at the Hordern. Fabulous concert. They came out on stage and everyone in the joint stood on their seats and danced all night. Rock and roll.
It was the exact same thirty years later mate. Amazing.

3. Ultimate Rock Symphony - 2005? at Acer. Great concert all round but Gary Brooker singing Conquistador with a full orchestra was something else. Seeing Alice Cooper singing Another Brick in the wall was pretty cool too.
Lucky bugger!

bartman

Immortal
Good thread.

I change my mind all the time with lists, but...

Neil Young/Crazy Horse 1986 Sydney Entertainment Centre (Dad took me along on a school night, he started solo at 8pm and had to leave at 1am and he/they were still playing...)

Radiohead 1998 Sydney Entertainment Centre - hushed the crowd so you could hear a pin drop during Exit Music and Talk Show Host, blew the place apart with My Iron Lung and Paranoid Android.

Sigur Ros 2006 Great Escape Festival Sydney - absolutely mesmerising, played their set just as the sun went down and it was perfect.

Mogwai 2006 Royal Albert Hall London - Had wanted the chance to see these guys for over five years, a cheap show in an unusual venue with great sound.

Weddings Parties Anything 2008 Astoria London - A ten year reunion gig, at the time I had a flight booked and was homesick for anything Australian and having seen their farewell gig I pretty much cried my way through every song. Fantastic night.

Worst? I've seen some sh*t over the years...

Smashing Pumpkins 1996 Hordern Pavilion Sydney - It was the first of two gigs in a row, and I think they were quite late on and obviously in a foul mood. Mellon Collie was a great album but they just went through the motions, and didn't even come out for an encore. Apparently the next night was great and they played five encores... bastards.

The Church 2001 The Basement Sydney - I really like them and have seen them play some good gigs before and after. But for this one Kilbey was druggy, they were all seated for the entire gig, and I'm sure even Kilbey nodded off in his chair for a bit?

Shane McGowan and the Popes 2003 Byron Bay Blues Festival - He was drunk (obviously) and a real shambles. The band were good, and played on well whenever he randomly wandered off stagemid-song. But he wouldn't have even known or remembered he was there.

Coldplay 2005 Glastonbury - I'd seen them in Sydney before (the gig that's on the live DVD) and thought they did well. But X&Y never grabbed me, and on the big stage at Glastonbury they just seemed lethargic and insipid, with songs like Fix You etc. My friend was upset because he had his festival stash confiscated on the wayin, and all he had left were some mushrooms that were having no effect at all. Make it stop...

Red Hot Chilli Peppers 2007 Leeds Festival - had so much promise, but atrocious sound and poor choice of set list. It seemed to just go on forever without any of the spark you get on some tracks on their records. Actually left before it ended.

No-one else?
This isn't a thread to criticize music tastes, this is a chance to hear about some of the great acts people have seen live. Just because you dislike them doesn't mean people have "the worst taste".

sando88

Not a Moderator
i havent been to many gigs.

went to one at uni. 'the music' and 'ben lee' were pretty sh*t. fratellis were pretty good

kanye west was support act for U2. was just weird. could have been good but noone was there too see him except for some idiot girl next to me who told me she only came for kanye and was dissapointed he only played for 30min

natheel

Coach
Best
Rise against this year at horden
Greenday my chemical romance and jimmy eat world 2005
Foo fighters last year
Slipknot and machinehead
Offspring @ soundwave
System of a down rise against and slipknot @ bdo 05
Msi @ uni roundhouse
Millencolin @ roundhouse 2002
Alice in chains @ soundwave
Less than jake with reel big fish @ big top
NIN @ soundwave
Bloodhound gang @ soundwave
Alexisonfire @ soundwave
Billy talent @ soundwave
Many more haha

Worst
Havnt been too many bad gigs really but I didn't enjoy bdo 06

Gigs coming up
Bronx and el Bronx @ metro
Nofx and Bad religion @ horden
Offspring @ enmore
Soundwave - afi, faith no more, anti flag, reel big fish

elyod138

Bench
Best
NIN, Brisbane '07
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Brisbane '07
Danzig, Brisbane '06
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Brisbane '09
NIN, Brisbane Soundwave '09
Saul Williams, Brisbane '08
Alice In Chains, Brisbane Soundwave '09

Worst

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Brisbane Soundwave '09

sando88

Not a Moderator
Best
NIN, Brisbane '07
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Brisbane '07
Danzig, Brisbane '06
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Brisbane '09
NIN, Brisbane Soundwave '09
Saul Williams, Brisbane '08
Alice In Chains, Brisbane Soundwave '09

Worst

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Brisbane Soundwave '09

stay away from sharp objects and oppressing thoughts :BDH:

carcharias

Immortal
Best -
1 Nirvana - selina's 92
2 You Am I - Metro 95 - the Hi Fi Way gigs
3 Midnight Oil - 83 - hordern Pav

I have seen many other great gigs but these 3 stand out more then others.
Honourable mention must go to The Stones a couple of years ago.
So many classic songs and I had awesome but very expensive seats.

Worst
1 the Church - Enmore theatre 90 - fuggen boring
2 Inxs - ent cent- was what I expected really ....girls music.
3 Johnny Deisel - St George leagues club - shyte venue ...He thought he was black...I walked out.

Best.

Pink Floyd (No Waters but didn't miss him)
Queen (Freddy was just amazing)
Deborah Conway (What a voice !)

Worst
Elton John with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra - his voice was totally farked.
U2 - 5th gig in a row or something and Bonos voice was farked
Jethro Tull - Just after they released Under Wraps (1984) which had a 1980s electronic/synth-pop sound, and they played the whole frigging album. Not what Tull fans want to hear. Saw them a few years later at the State Theatre and it was everything a Tull fan could want.

carcharias

Immortal
I saw those Pink Floyd gigs.
While amazing.. the first half of the gig sucked as it was the delicate sound of dogshyte album.

maccattack

Juniors
1. Midnight Oil - Up Close In The Capital - Canberra 2009. Front row. Rockin out with the best band in the world.

2. Sun Kil Moon - Whelans Dublin 2003. Was almost like a spiritual experience. Truly amazing.

3. Rolling Stones - Point Depot 2003 - no more than 8000 people packed in. Only a few feet away from those legends. Awesome night.

Worstest.

1Placebo - Dublin 96. Pile of crap. Out of time and just rubbish. People were throwing empty water bottles at them. When the band threatened to stop playing unless the throwing stopped. They got pelted by hundreds of bottles. The highlight of the night!

2. Bob Dylan - Point Depot 2004 - P!ssed out of his head and sounding terrible. Left after a few songs.

3. Biohazard - Point Depot 2004. Pure slop.

millersnose

Post Whore
gotta admit the first floyd set wasnt as good as could be

dogs of war and the turning away were particulairly dreadful songs but after opening with shine on it made up for it

millersnose

Post Whore
i forgot i saw the queen concert as well but though i am a huge fan i think they should have done a pink floyd and augmented with more musicians to try to recapture some of the 'clever bits' they were masters at in the studio

fish eel

Immortal
Tough ask.

My favourite gigs would change all the time.

3 gigs i'll never forget though were

Rolling Stones, wembley stadium 1999
Radiohead, Ent Centre on the OK computer tour
Wilco at a little club in Portsmouth 1999

Latest posts