What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your starting back row for Round 1 ?

For me I’d go like this for Round 1.

Andrew Fifita
Jayden Brailey
Aaron Woods
Jayson Bukuya
Kurt Capewell
Paul Gallen

Matt Prior
Cruz Topai Aveai
Jack Williams
Briton Nikora

I think we need to have our two biggest props playing 25 to 30 minutes each half. That’s Fifita & Woods. I feel Prior has lost a bit of impact now. We’ve lost some size and power in the backrow with Lewis gone and Graham sidelined. I only want Gallen playing 20minutes per half. Quality over quantity. Bukuya on the right and Capewell on the left edge. I think they’re the most experienced back rowers to fill in those positions.

I’d like to see Jack Williams interchange with Gallen. He’s a good middle backrower. Prior to interchange with Woods and Cruz to interchange with Fifita. Nikora to get some minutes interchanging with Bukuya.

Especially early in the season I think we need 4 forwards on the bench because of the heat and lack of match fitness. Will be good to give Nikora and Cruz debuts off the bench and inject some youth and enthusiasm into the team.

Flanno junior and Brailey’s brother to start for Newtown and get some match fitness and form and maybe push for a utility bench role or fill in for injury.

Also I will be keen to see how Joshua Carr goes this season for Newtown. The kid is a unit and I’m sure will continue to improve. One to maybe debut next season.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Operation Reefy decrypt code 870875772394727507503750750707010 said:
Capewell has been groomed for right side back row. He will get first crack.
Gallen will be lock, Books will give him breath.
Sorro will play left co-coached by Wade.
Nikora to be used if soro or capes look tired.
Book of Flanno.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Too far out to call.

Depends on who the centres are.

If Dugan plays right centre with Xerri on the wing, rule out Nikora on the right as Duges can’t babysit a rookie each side. For me Nikora will make it sooner or later but not if the right side has Duges/Xerri. If Duges plays right wing with Xerri inside absolutely not Nikora and Xerri together.

Nikora probably is a benchie but may suit the left as it will contain more experience.

Boogs would be my right second rower and I dont believe he cant handle starting, he’s just not used to it and if trains as a starter he’ll be fine. He just has to adapt to the speed of the earlier part of the game. That’s his downside as a starter. Sits on the bench all year and comes on when the game has slowed down.

Gallen is lock.

Not overjoyed with the left side choices. Caewell defensively good but a bit of an up and downer who doesn’t really run the lines. Could cover Johnson if he is 6 defensively because SJ hasn’t defended at 6 for a while and misses a lot on his left shoulder. Capes can cover that.

Can Nikora play left and cover Johnson inside in defence? Dunno. Eventually whether hes a rightie or a leftie in the NRL he’ll have to learn to. He is a natural rightie though.

Sorro can cover an inside guy, its a strength but although his claim to fame is a couple of good tries he also isnt a line runner and has s hit passing game. The left will be Morris/Feki and they need good service. Moylan will also need good service if he plays in the line on the left at times. If he plays out the back he should be OK for good ball from SJ or CT.

Williams has the most potential to be leftie for mine but is also green. He is a hole runner though. Not so sure about his passing either. He is a very good defender inside and outside. Is he fit enough after his pec tear? Probably. Is very strong.

Without trials I would go with him.

Its not as easy as looking at the names and picking 3 favourites. Whoever the backrow is have to fit into the whole structure.

txta2

Bench
So the slowest 7 in the comp will be running through holes....sweet.

Pretty poor back row besides Williams and Wade. Honestly hope some young kid bursts onto the scene.

Ads

First Grade
Too far out to call.

If Dugan plays right centre with Xerri on the wing, rule out Nikora on the right as Duges can’t babysit a rookie each side. For me Nikora will make it sooner or later but not if the right side has Duges/Xerri. If Duges plays right wing with Xerri inside absolutely not Nikora and Xerri together.

Nikora probably is a benchie but may suit the left as it will contain more experience.

Boogs would be my right second rower and I dont believe he cant handle starting, he’s just not used to it and if trains as a starter he’ll be fine. He just has to adapt to the speed of the earlier part of the game. That’s his downside as a starter. Sits on the bench all year and comes on when the game has slowed down.

Gallen is lock.

Not overjoyed with the left side choices. Caewell defensively good but a bit of an up and downer who doesn’t really run the lines. Could cover Johnson if he is 6 defensively because SJ hasn’t defended at 6 for a while and misses a lot on his left shoulder. Capes can cover that.

Can Nikora play left and cover Johnson inside in defence? Dunno. Eventually whether hes a rightie or a leftie in the NRL he’ll have to learn to. He is a natural rightie though.

Sorro can cover an inside guy, its a strength but although his claim to fame is a couple of good tries he also isnt a line runner and has s hit passing game. The left will be Morris/Feki and they need good service. Moylan will also need good service if he plays in the line on the left at times. If he plays out the back he should be OK for good ball from SJ or CT.

Williams has the most potential to be leftie for mine but is also green. He is a hole runner though. Not so sure about his passing either. He is a very good defender inside and outside. Is he fit enough after his pec tear? Probably. Is very strong.

Its not as easy as looking at the names and picking 3 favourites. Whoever the backrow is have to fit into the whole structure.
Saw Williams the other day. He’s a fit human. I’d back him to handle the left over Nikora but they both look the goods.

shaggs

Coach
Too far out to call.

Gallen is lock.

Not a bad analysis, but the only half I’d be fixing to a side is chad on the right.
Moylan and Johnson should and can be playing either side. Don’t be stuck.
We need to be a running side with speed and numbers. Move away form the overly structured sets we had.

I’m concerned about the back row. Bakuya should start on the right, and learn to be a starter that plays 60 plus minutes a week. As you say playing 25 a week when the game slows makes it hard to deal with the starts.

The hooker must be allowed to play some footy. Shovel shovel tackle tackle is a shit plan.

I also have concerns about playing young blokes in a position that they don’t normally ply, just to get in first grade. Kennedy or Xerri on wing I don’t like. Dugan can be the right winger in attack and defend at centre, rotation g with Xerri. Don’t park the kid on the wing and expect centre quality.

My line up.
1. Moylan
2. Feki (L)
3. Morris (L)
4. Xerri (R)
5. Dugan (R)
6. Townsend(R- wears 6 but plays 7)
7. Johnson (only wears 7 - no fixed side)
8. Fifita
9. JB
10. Prior
11. bakuya (R)
12. Capewell or Nikora I suppose. (L with Morris)
13. Gal

14. Woods (was great in this role last year)
15. Williams
16. Capewell or Nikora
17. Someone else. Not a hooker. Magoulis for 2 weeks to prove he isn’t a plodder. Cover dummy half and middle forward.

Couple of two way players in bakuya, prior, Williams and magoulis that can cover middle and edge at a pinch.

I don’t think topai will be on the bench this early. Ava is dreadful. Sorensen doesn’t have an impact for the bench