What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Starting side

JCSwank

Juniors
For round 1. I'm sure things will change by years end, as the youngsters press for spots, particularly Newton, Galloway, Russo, Williams etc

Peachey
Merrit
McGoldrick
Franze
Rieck
Vagana
Kimmorley
Hilder
Bailey
Lomu
Nutley
Bosnich
Stevens

Beattie
Isemonger
Gallen
Bird

If Vagana isn't fit, Bird to #6 and throw Sullivan or Gibson at #17.

I agree that playing both Rieck and Merrit is a bit of a concern.

Booyah

Bench
I agree that playing both Rieck and Merrit is a bit of a concern.

From a defensive point of view - yes. But certainly not from an attacking perspective.

If both of these guys are named, I don't think it will be as big a problem as most people make out. Don't forget we also have 2 very defensive Centres in Franze and McGoldrick playing inside them.

TRIALS

Juniors
1-David Peachey
2-Nathan Merrit
3-Nigel Vagana
4-Paul Franze
5-Ryan Mcgoldrick
6-Russell Aitken
7-Brett Kimmorley
8-Jason Stevens
9-Patrick Gibson
10-Danny Nutley
11-Andrew Lomu
12-Phil Bailey
13-Matt Hilder

14-Chris Beattie
15-Paul Gallen
16-Keith Galloway
17-Michael Sullivan

this is the team i hope to see run out in round one ...fat chance of that happening though i think.

also i was told by a source very close to the team that even though Lomu has been more than impressive in the trials ....he will start from the bench as SR is looking to start the season with established combinations in the forwards ...wonder if that goes for bailey as well since he hasn't played in the pack for a while?????

Sharkie73

Bench
I can't belive that no one has said anything about me putting Nutley in at lock, I was sure I would have got at least one bite :D I still think he would go really well there.

BeenThere

Juniors
1. Peachey
2. Rieck
3. Franze
4. Vagana
5. Merritt
6. McGoldrick
7. Kimmorley

8. Stevens
9. Bosnich
10. Beattie
11. Nutley
12. Bailey
13. Hilder

14. Lomu
15. Gallen
16. Russo
17. Bird

The Popper

Bench
I'm a gentleman, 73. I nearly fell off my chair when I read that but I thought `To each his own'. IMO Hilder was magnificent in a losing side last year. He should be even better this year and should be given every chance.
I reckon we look pretty strong on paper. My main concerns are goalkicking (of course) and 5/8. I just hoped Aitken has filled out a bit. Bird can make a break but doesn't seem to be able to set up play, 5/8 Sully is a dasher but could get smashed at 5/8. Still it's not the flat attack any more, is it? Me? I hope Aitken has developed physically. IMO he has the same sort of talent potential as Sterling, Alexander and Johns. One school says that you can't have 2 playmakers. I'm from the other school that reckons two playmakers keep the opposition guessing.

Keeping the ball moving is what it's all about for mine. Nick Graham had offload ability until his style was changed. Even Knuckles had a good hit, spin and offload game until he was made a battering ram. I guess I'm a big fan of the ball playing forward a la McTigue and Beetson. Not much of that in our pack at a glance. But it coulda just been coached outta them. So if we don't have such a player we could need the likes of both Noddy and Aitken to get the best out of Galloway, Lomu, etc.

Booyah

Bench
Nutley at Lock for me is a no-no. I want a ball-player back there. Nuts probably dropped more balls then he caught last season and is more of a Running forward anyway.

beerboy

Juniors
1 Peachey
2 Merrit
3 Vagana
4 Franze
5 Stinky
6 Bird
7 Kimmorly
8 Stevens
9 Bosnich
10 Beatroot
11 Nuts
12 Bailey
13 Hilder

14 Gallen
15 Lomu
16 Sullivan (after 20mins for Bosnich)
17 Newton/Galloway/McGoldrick

SOLID!!!! :clap:

Phillips

Referee
Kimmorly, Beattie & Stevens [-X how can you expect to win games when you have these guys in your side :?

Sharkie73

Bench
Hi Popper and Booyah
Thanks for the comments, I still think Nuts would go really well as a lock. If you have a good 1\2 and 5\8 either side of the ruck then you don't need a ball playing lock. We will have Bailey, Stevens and co doing that for us up the middle. I think Nutleys defence is the best in the club and with his speed breaking from the scrum base it would be deverstating on opersition attacks. I think Hilder might be an option for 5\8 also :) .

1 Peachey
2 Merrit
3 McGoldrick
4 Franze
5 Rieck
6 Bird
7 Kimmorley
8 Stevens
9 Bosnich
10 Beatie
11 Nutley
12 Bailey
13 Hilder

14 Gallen
15 Lomu
16 Sullivan
17 Newton or Galloway

Prety much the same as Beerboys, but I don't think Vagana will be ready and McGoldrick will get his chance. Bird will keep for the 5/8th spot for 2-3 rounds, but he's on thin ice IMO and if he doesn't perform (and McGoldrick has) we could well see Vagana slot into 5/8th when once he's match fit.