What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team vs Broncos

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
We know Robson is what Robson is, I am not really sure what your point is - he has a long history as a decent first grade half

He had a crap game against the Tigers. He did a whole lot of bad as I mentioned. Because there was a lot of hype around him he's in a situation where he can have a bad game and not get dropped. Oh gee, that's like now.

Anyway that's not my point. My point is, I think Lolohea could have done a better job. Easy to say in hindsight I know. Especially when you rewatch Robsons game and see just how bad it was. I watched that game 3 times over and his performance wasn't even decent.

Like I said he'll get away with it and will be tested against the Broncos halves. I'll reserve further judgement on him till after Broncos game.

ozbash

Referee
He did a whole lot of bad as I mentioned.

he did a whole lot, he got involved, had a couple of errors..

better than the rest of the team standing around with their thumbs up their arse wondering what to do next..

Tui was halfback for the Kiwis last year - fail
Tui was 6 for juniors and went good
Tui was centre for NSWCup last year and went well
Tui was fullback for Warriors last year when pomkins was 'hurt' - fail
Tui was wing for Warriors on Saturday and even the idiots calling the game mentioned he'd touched the ball twice in 3/4 of the game, which to me is a massive fail.

so, to me it would sugest Tui's better suited at 6 (we have Dobson) or centre (we have Aysford and not a hell of a lot else)..

my guess is 2nd row..

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
You clearly haven't watched Robsons game 3 times over like I have otherwise you'd see. Watch his game first and then it's clear.

I just want to see him dropped for this game against the Broncos for 2 reasons.

1. So he knows that he CAN be dropped if he doesn't perform.

2. So that we can see how Lolohea goes against one of the best halves in the NRL.

Lolohea fans might praise me fir wanting Lolohea to start at 7 but then they would also be in disbelief that I'd want Tui to step up against the Broncos which I'm confident he can do. It won't happen though.

We'll see how Robson goes this week when we compare him to the Broncos pairing of Milford and Hunt. No buts.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
He had a crap game against the Tigers. He did a whole lot of bad as I mentioned. Because there was a lot of hype around him he's in a situation where he can have a bad game and not get dropped. Oh gee, that's like now.

Anyway that's not my point. My point is, I think Lolohea could have done a better job. Easy to say in hindsight I know. Especially when you rewatch Robsons game and see just how bad it was. I watched that game 3 times over and his performance wasn't even decent.

Like I said he'll get away with it and will be tested against the Broncos halves. I'll reserve further judgement on him till after Broncos game.

There's not hype around Robson - he's a known quantity, a genuine first grade half - not an elite one, but very experienced and should complement Johnson well

If we're talking about hype and a poor effort, I'd be looking at Luke.

Robson will do a job week in week out, the question really is can the likes of Kata, Lolohea, Hurrell, Fusitua, Lisone, Vete, Gavet etc etc... even Johnson if we're honest

I'm struggling to see the logic supporting Lolohea as a first grade half atm... that said, the same, for me, is true of Kata as a first grade centre

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
There's not hype around Robson - he's a known quantity, a genuine first grade half - not an elite one, but very experienced and should complement Johnson well

If we're talking about hype and a poor effort, I'd be looking at Luke.

Robson will do a job week in week out, the question really is can the likes of Kata, Lolohea, Hurrell, Fusitua, Lisone, Vete, Gavet etc etc... even Johnson if we're honest

I'm struggling to see the logic supporting Lolohea as a first grade half atm... that said, the same, for me, is true of Kata as a first grade centre

To be honest Im not a big fan of Robson. The picture I got from what I heard was with his experience he would bring direction and structure and on Saturday those were missing. I mean when you look at the Warrior sets there wasn't much Robson in there.

At one stage I think even Mannering was pissed off at Robson and Mannering jumped into the pivot position forcing Robson to step back (I felt sorry for Robson) and watch as Mannering played half.

Like I said before, you have to watch the game again. Your replying without even watching Robsons game.

Your struggling to see the logic behind Lolohea (the half) playing half which he had to take over last year when SJ got injured but you see the logic in him as a centre? Come on, yes he can play centre but we got good centre's already better suited.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Thompson in for Henry and RFM onto the bench. Apart from that no other real changes for me. Broncos put 50 on us then yeah by all means ring the changes. Only round 2 give them a chance together. We only have 1 spine player left from last season, obviously will take time to gel no matter how good they are.

spear tackle

Juniors
Thompson in for Henry and RFM onto the bench. Apart from that no other real changes for me. Broncos put 50 on us then yeah by all means ring the changes. Only round 2 give them a chance together. We only have 1 spine player left from last season, obviously will take time to gel no matter how good they are.

This- they probably need a couple of games together to really see if they gel as a team or not, didn't all the other teams that had major line up shakeups in the offseason fall flat on their faces this week? Even though it sucks and pains me to see them loose I'd say give them another game together before farming the ones not performing out to RG for a while ,there appears to be plenty of guys in our RG side keen for a shot at a position.

I'd have to agree also.
Just not sure how many strikes they get, using Manu as an example, he only has 1 handling error in games 2-4, had a shocker in 5, 6-9 back to one, 10 a shocker.
Now that is 3 strikes, but have the games in between wiped the slate clean?
Players need Individual 2-3 KPIs and if they can make them 2-3 games in a row the hit reserve grade?
We traditionally go well against Bronocs but that is a hell of a turn around and 2 away games with short turn around.

jaseg

Juniors
he did a whole lot, he got involved, had a couple of errors..

better than the rest of the team standing around with their thumbs up their arse wondering what to do next..

Tui was halfback for the Kiwis last year - fail
Tui was 6 for juniors and went good
Tui was centre for NSWCup last year and went well
Tui was fullback for Warriors last year when pomkins was 'hurt' - fail
Tui was wing for Warriors on Saturday and even the idiots calling the game mentioned he'd touched the ball twice in 3/4 of the game, which to me is a massive fail.

so, to me it would sugest Tui's better suited at 6 (we have Dobson) or centre (we have Aysford and not a hell of a lot else)..

my guess is 2nd row..

Huh? His best NRL footy has been at fullback... and his worst in the halves.

Right now I'd rate Tui's positions from best to worst, based on NRL (heck, why not throw in test level too) performances;
Fullback - absolutely dynamic, clearly his best position, just unfortunate RTS is in front of him
Wing - good finishing, dangerous running wide, but doesn't look for the ball enough
Centre - didn't do too much either good or bad here, just decent overall
Halves - terrible. just terrible. managed 1 assist in FIVE fg games - not like he wasn't getting touches either.. his error rate was x2 his worst of any other position

He was in the halves at junior level - but he hasn't shown anything so far to suggest he will be a long term half option at NRL level. Needs to develop a lot before another go there.

And with Hingano barreling through the lower grades looking like a proper passing half, I doubt Lolohea will ever be a first choice half here. RTS will probably bail after 3 years though, so the fullback spot could beckon.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Don't think I've seen anything that suggests Lolohea will be a quality NRL half anytime soon. He is a good ball runner and thats about it at the moment.

ozbash

Referee
Huh? His best NRL footy has been at fullback... and his worst in the halves.

Right now I'd rate Tui's positions from best to worst, based on NRL (heck, why not throw in test level too) performances;
Fullback - absolutely dynamic, clearly his best position, just unfortunate RTS is in front of him
Wing - good finishing, dangerous running wide, but doesn't look for the ball enough
Centre - didn't do too much either good or bad here, just decent overall
Halves - terrible. just terrible. managed 1 assist in FIVE fg games - not like he wasn't getting touches either.. his error rate was x2 his worst of any other position

He was in the halves at junior level - but he hasn't shown anything so far to suggest he will be a long term half option at NRL level. Needs to develop a lot before another go there.

And with Hingano barreling through the lower grades looking like a proper passing half, I doubt Lolohea will ever be a first choice half here. RTS will probably bail after 3 years though, so the fullback spot could beckon.

:lol:

Maybe you should start watching him play...

Rich102

Staff member
Lolohea has many of Johnsons qualities. Great broken field runner but poor on defence and structured play. Plus he rarely sets up his outside man.
There isn't room for two Johnsons in the halves. Hence Robson.

jaseg

Juniors
:lol:

Maybe you should start watching him play...

Actually I think you might need to first... start with those games in the halves (spoiler alert: we lose all of them, Tui doesn't set up any plays), then look at the games at fullback for contrast (spoilers again: Tui plays very well, so well other teams try to sign him as a fullback for 2016).

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
As for our side on Friday, I don't want to see any chopping and changing. McFadden had 6 months to decide his line-up and if he f**ks with it - Henry aside - it further proves we've got a dunce at the wheel.

So Henry out, and RFM in. However, it scares me given we dropped a lot of ball and missed tackles last week that a guy who drops a lot of ball and misses tackles is coming in. I'd prefer Sao but I presume he's not available. And Lousi, no thanks.

Rich102

Staff member
As for our side on Friday, I don't want to see any chopping and changing. McFadden had 6 months to decide his line-up and if he f**ks with it - Henry aside - it further proves we've got a dunce at the wheel.

So Henry out, and RFM in. However, it scares me given we dropped a lot of ball and missed tackles last week that a guy who drops a lot of ball and misses tackles is coming in. I'd prefer Sao but I presume he's not available. And Lousi, no thanks.

Sao out indefinate.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Sao out indefinate.

Yeah thought so. Untimely, that. So it'll likely be RFM or god forbid Lousi, which really adds nothing and makes us further vulnerable. Would be nice to get nigh-on 80 out of our starting back row, although Thompson will be lacking fitness so I doubt he's able to.

Matua

Bench
My issue with that use of Matulino is twofold. First, we missed him in the first part of the match and played catch up the whole game. Secondly (and really more to the point) we have 4 guys who can easily play 80 minutes without limiting their effectiveness, all of whom are walk up starts to the first team (at least... Bodene should be). We shouldn't be getting anywhere close to using 8 interchanges on basic rotation... really only the two prop spots to be rotated in and out each - that's 4, leaving the other 4 as tactical options (Roache and/or the 4th bench player being inserted etc) / injury cover.

If Hurrell is suspended then Fusitua should probably get a run at left centre IMO
Yep. I can't believe people are suggesting we don't start Matulino. Basically the game was gone before he came into it.

Also can't believe RFM wasn't in the team last week.

I'd move Tui into the centres, he's wasted on the wing, and as SJ covers the unstructured part of the halves (and apparently Robson brings the structure :sarcasm:), and RTS and his open door policy cover the back, there's nowhere else for him to go.

Latest posts