What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your thoughts on taking a game to the country

Fire

First Grade
What's cracking fellow Dragons fans. Just chilling a home having a few brewskis and thinking about next season, etc.

I know we usually take a trial game "rural" each year (Perth last year, Cairns this year). But what are your thoughts on us taking a game to the country every year?

With the draw being released and the first 20 weeks being locked in, we'd all have time to plan.

Like I said, I know we take a trial game to the country, but I reckon it'd be f**ken tops to go to Dubbo, or Port Macquarie, or whatever, when two competition points are on the line.

It'd be like this

Kogarah = 5 games
Wollongong = 5 games
SFS = 1 game (ANZAC)
Country = 1 game

I reckon that's alright?

Anyways, interested to hear fellow Dragons fans thoughts please.

Cheers.

Fire

First Grade
p.s. We're not taking a game to the country this year (that I know of).

Prometheus

Juniors
Wollongong and Kogarah fans don't each get enough local games as it is. We don't need to be reducing it even more.

Prometheus

Juniors
The club is always trying to find ways to increase the value of the Red-V membership packages so that they can raise more money from them. If they included even less games, they'd actually have to reduce the prices.

Fire

First Grade
All good points have been raised. But, they're from the club's perspective.

I'm of the opinion that yeah, Kogarah and Woollongong are f**ken sick.

But, it's about time we show some respect to the country area.

Furthermore, it's an opportunity, to go on a road trip with your mates (even mates you've met on the forums).

Go camping, fishing, sink tins (though no problem if you don't drink, I respect that).

It's time to show respect to the country. Heck, we can go down to Weyman's dig if fans want it.

This whole St George v Illawarra has to be balanced, f**k that.

Take a game to the country, give back.

Too many sooky merkins wanting to hold onto Kogarah and Wollongong.

Spread the game.

Lead from the front.

It's one round, those against it call themselves supporters. Well, support, give back to the roots.

Since I game back in 2007, there's too many spoily, weak-hearted softies, fold who don't wanna be inconvenienced.

Belt up whingers, like I said, a weekend awat with your mates. Plus, growing the game.

Fire

First Grade
p.s. It's only ONE game for the precious WE MUST win a comp every year, spoilt soft merkins who have never raised a single positive piece (but dribble) in these forums.

My 2c.

If you can do a better job, send your CV to Doust.

Don't be soft or non-classy, Doust has the wood on all you haters

jenninga

First Grade
Why doesn't this incompetent ARLC introduce a country cup style comp instead of trial games.All games should be played in the bush and the final can be rotated each year in a different town.The cup can be marketed to push for memberships and will create more interest in the bush and would also be a great lead in to the Allstars game then the comp itself.
The ARLC has a vision for 400,000 memberships,great ,but they don't mention how they will achieve that.And with the clubs all trying to renew memberships why are we still waiting for the draw to be announced.I know it will be next week but it should have been at least 2 weeks ago so fans can start planning their season for memberships and away trips.

Honkiest_Honky

Juniors
Another merger means another home ground. Mudgee would be a great choice as they have a pretty good home ground and are afaik are the original Dragons. So you would be The Muggee Dragon Steeler Dragons.

jenninga

First Grade
Another merger means another home ground. Mudgee would be a great choice as they have a pretty good home ground and are afaik are the original Dragons. So you would be The Muggee Dragon Steeler Dragons.
No wonder George Piggins doesn't want to be seen at your games with dickheads like you around the club , or on street corners or on park benches .

stg666

Juniors
a game pre season game between the raiders and the storm was to be played in bega but the mexicans pulled the plug due to world club challenge. i heard that we might be in the running to take their place. can anyone confirm or deny this ?

Stagger Lee

Bench
I support the NRL sending teams like the Homebush Rabbitturds to the bush but taking games away from Kograh is a joke. To have only 6 games a season is bad enough.

Re: Your thoughts on taking a game to the country? ... fluk no!

Morotti

Juniors
If we take a game away from Kogarah or Wollongong then I think it should be somewhere in the current catchment area of ours. Problem would be there are no grounds where we can get a decent return.

I would be happy for 5 games at Kogarah and 5 games at Wollongong each year. Then the remaining 2 can be sent either to bigger venues OR to another area.

If we can get country councils on board and get some decent money for taking a game there and get a good return, then I am happy to. That is sadly what it will come down to in the end.

hardbaby

Coach
I think all clubs should sacrifice one game per year but it needs to be a good ground with a big crowd. If the members lose out the club at least needs to be remunerated financially.

Elias1983

Coach
Do it.

It's a small price to pay bringing so much excitement and joy to a country town when the big stars/team rolls into town.

Imagine the many thousands of kids you will influence, sometimes all a kid needs is to experience something like a big footy match and that can give them hope and motivation to achieve big things. (let alone other people that might need a bit of a push)

I know sound like a bit of a softie but i'm just thinking of all the positive effects that Rugby League can have on a community/country town if the game continually makes an effort with them.

I know clubs do their country runs in the off-season and that's a start, but give them a match for crying out loud, they deserve it.

Every second year, we host the ANZAC Day game at the SFS. The years we don't host it, is when we can host a game in the country. That might work out for us?

11 games at Kogarah / Gong
1 game at SFS / in the country

Latest posts