What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Top 5 Since the mid 80s in the US

Top 5 of all time

• Total voters

afinalsin666

First Grade
Edge and Christian, the Dudley Boys, and the Hardy Boys.

Responsible for one of the best matches in the history of wrestling.

Tommy Smith

Referee
He didn't fall away, he broke his back and had to retire for 4 years. When he came back he consistently had the best match on the card. He won 4 match of the years according to the Wrestling observer, 11 match of the years according to PWI (7 of those after he came back and including opponents such as Diesel and a 60 year old Vince McMahon), Match of the decade, and Feud of the decade.

He could talk, he could work, he had a 26 year long career 18 of those as a main eventer, and came back from an injury which would have crippled most people. Sure he was an asshole during his 1st run but he really turned his life around after his injury and by all accounts is one of the nicest, down to earth, guys these days. He's also willingly put people over and helped elevate so many guys including the current face of the company John Cena.

That's why there's so much love for Michaels.
Great post.

HBK belongs in the pantheon of the very greatest allround performers to ever grace the ring.

Big Pete

Referee
Holy shit.

HBK vs Vince won Match of the Year in 2006?

Over Angle vs Taker?

Hell, even Foley v Edge from that very show was better.

That's the problem I have with Shawn. On his day, he's a great performer but too often his stuff is trumpeted far more than it deserves to be.

Iafeta

Referee
Voted for 4 of them, Chris Jericho isn't on the list for the 5th pick - Savage, Hart, Austin, Rock, Jericho.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm glad this is a public poll.

I now know which seven people never to listen to when discussing pro-wrestling.

Et tu, SGLC?

Gina Minehart

Juniors
As I said earlier on, we aren't sitting here today talking about wrestling if there is no hogan. Has to be in the top 5 for that reason alone

Hoggmaster

Juniors
Hogan's drawing power is not in question. Austin had 3 years of unparalleled success, but Hogan consistently drew record numbers and yes he has a lot to do with the globalisation of WWE as a brand. I didn't list him though because he was not a good in ring worker (the thing i consider most important).

He's undoubtedly very charismatic although I don't consider him on the Flair level of talkers. Sometimes his promos were very odd and didnt actually build to anything (mostly WCW stuff).

Someone who I think doesn't get enough plaudits is Dusty Rhodes. I didn't include him on my list as he was on the decline by the mid 80's and the polka dots thing was awful. His promo however was perhaps second only to Flair (Flair also widely acknowledges he took his promo style from Rhodes) and he could tell a story in the ring like no one before or since. I think his lack of a meaningful WWF/E run, coupled with the fact his prime was before the 80's boom means your average fan doesn't remember him so well.

Another interesting list could be your people who you feel were underated or overated. As in their career was not a reflection of their talent.

Underated
1. Lance Storm
2. Barry Windham
3. Shelton Benjamin
4. Christian
5. Ken Shamrock

Overated
1. Lex Luger
2. Buff Bagwell
3. Ultimate Warrior
4. Ryback
5. Brutus Beefcake

Gina Minehart

Juniors
Yeh good call. Jerry Lynn always pops in to mind when I think of underrated...the guy was a stud in the ring

I always thought Flair was a bit overrated in the ring. And yes I've seen the 70s/80s matches. He was better than most but the way people jerk off is unjustified imo

lafai

Bench
I mean fair enough if Hogan isn't in your top 5 if your list is just solely based on in-ring work (although to be fair his Japanese work was great and I enjoyed his matches with Randy Savage). But the title of the thread makes it seem like overall drawing ability, promo ability, charisma and classic matches are the criteria and Hogan clearly had 3 of those 4 things.

Hogan's work in Japan was a lot less corny (even had a decent finisher - the "Axe Bomber" Lariat), and while it wasn't on the same scale as a Steamboat or Flair, it was much better than most of his WWF and WCW run.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
How is Bagwell overrated? No one rates him! (well not the IWC anyways)

For me: Rock, STSA, Jericho, Edge, Triple H

Unlucky HBK and Sting

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Hall would be close as well, good on mic as well as in ring, however it felt like he lacked a memorable feud and a decent run in the Main Event. Fun fact, his only two title shots were against Bret Hart at Rumble 93 I think, and then against Sting.

My top 5 FAVORITE wrestlers are: Hall, Nash, Edge, HBK and Kane (original Kane from late 90s (Note, this changes on any given day pretty much)

Last edited:

Hoggmaster

Juniors
How is Bagwell overrated? No one rates him! (well not the IWC anyways)

For me: Rock, STSA, Jericho, Edge, Triple H

Unlucky HBK and Sting

I was refering to his stint in WCW. He was a upper-mid card occasional main event guy based on nothing but he had lots of buddies.