What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yvonne Sampson signs with Fox Sports

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...k=eb053e30657907e1f902bfa72cf64eb7-1480153763

What’s the Buzz: Fox Sports close to signing Yvonne Sampson
185c0bda5743972e6b6a43b84e7463d7

Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
November 26, 2016 9:00pm

185c0bda5743972e6b6a43b84e7463d7

FOX Sports is on the verge of pinching Channel Nine’s popular rugby league personality Yvonne Sampson.

As the ratings war between the networks hots up, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Nine’s main anchor is on the verge of quitting the free-to-air station.

Sampson has been secretly in talks with Fox Sports bosses Patrick Delany and Steve Crawley for weeks. It was Crawley who gave the former Brisbane sports reporter her opportunity in Sydney where she quickly became a star on the Sunday Footy Show, in the newsroom and then as main host of the State of Origin series.

And Delany has been super impressed with her on-air presence and knowledge of the game.

Nine would recall Cameron Williams to host rugby league in Sampson’s role. He has already returned to the network to replace retiring sports newsreader Kenny Sutcliffe from next year.

It would leave Fox Sports with four outstanding female presenters in Lara Pitt, Jessica Yates, Megan Barnard and Sampson.

Nine will still have Erin Molan and rising star Julie Snook on its footy coverage.

The pay-TV network is introducing a 24-hour rugby league channel next year and has been busily locking in talent.

Big Salad

Juniors
That would be a real shame if she moved to Fox Sports. She does a fantastic job anchoring the Sunday Footy Show (which has become my favourite league show thanks to the lineup - Yvonne/Joey/Brad/Lockyer) and the pre/post-game coverage. So much more natural than Erin Molan who is still a bit awkward, and far more charisma and personable than Cam Williams.

LESStar58

Referee
Oh please, no! Sampson is the only reason I have to watch Nine and I can't afford Fox. the only thing that gives me comfort is that the resident alcoholic wrote the article.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...e/news-story/f6cb196bb26cef281734dc9cb3aabca2

Fox on cusp of coup

Fox Sports’ head of live sport Steve Crawley and chief executive Patrick Delany are on the brink of pulling off a coup by getting Nine’s popular rugby league host Yvonne Sampson. As Fox prepares to break historic ground next year with its first 24-hour channel devoted to rugby league, Sampson is said to be close to switching sides. When asked last Thursday about a possible defection, Fox declined to comment. A spokeswoman for Nine simply said: “She’s at Nine, and we think she’s done a terrific job.” Called Fox NRL, the new channel will become the home of NRL on television in a bid to emulate the success of its AFL sister channel Fox Footy.

LESStar58

Referee
Nine should pull out all stops to keep her. I'll never watch a game on Nine if she goes. for Origin I'll go to the pub and pay through the nose for my drinks.

Shows how out of touch Nine are if they are prepared to let their greatest asset go. she's the only member of the coverage that actually offers anything.

Brutus

Referee
Nine should pull out all stops to keep her. I'll never watch a game on Nine if she goes. for Origin I'll go to the pub and pay through the nose for my drinks.

Shows how out of touch Nine are if they are prepared to let their greatest asset go. she's the only member of the coverage that actually offers anything.

You are 100% correct there.

LESStar58

Referee
You are 100% correct there.

On the other hand, if she was to leave this would probably serve as a rocket to Nine who have treated the game with contempt for years (and let's face it, why wouldn't they? It's money for jam, really) by constantly plugging other sports and not affording the coverage to the Affiliated States that it deserves. The fact that Nine are getting murdered in the ratings really should be incentive enough to realise that they need to hang on to their best people.

I'll be getting an ipad next year to watch all my footy on. I get NRL Live for free as a Telstra customer anyway and I refuse to give money to Fox even if I was allowed to get it in my rental.

Incorrect

Coach
I'll be getting an ipad next year to watch all my footy on. I get NRL Live for free as a Telstra customer anyway and I refuse to give money to Fox even if I was allowed to get it in my rental.

I moved house mid way through the 2016 season and didn't bother getting Foxtel connected at the new place. I've been thinking about what to do for season 2017 and I think I'll go with the NRL Digital Pass too and just watch the games on my laptop or iPad...

Would I be correct in thinking you get the Foxtel commentary for all games when you subscribe to the NRL Digital Pass???

Latest posts